I think I need help acquiring the rights to my graphic novels!

CheG

Registered
Reaction score
Website
chegilson.blogspot.com
Hello everyone,

With the closure of TOKYOPOP I would like to get the rights back to Dark Moon Diary volume 1 and 2 but I may need help. I have contacted Mike Kiley one of the TP executives and he's going to get back to me in the next few weeks.

But when I received his e-mail he brought a good point. Do I have another publisher interested in acquiring the rights or would it be something I'd be doing myself. I replied it's something I'd like to do myself because there is no other publisher interested in the book.

But then I realized that I may not be able to afford to acquire the rights to my book.

So, me question is, is there anyone out there who can help me? I can't afford a lawyer unless they'd do it pro bono and I don't have an agent or an advocate of any kind.

I don't yet know TP's terms either. With luck they won't charge much (free would be ideal).

And does anyone know what it costs? I'm sure it varies from publisher to publisher.

It may not even be possible. TP has been loathe to part with the rights to anything in the past and even the collapse of the company may not change that.

Sorry for the rambling post. I don't know what I'm doing and this was probably premature anyway.

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
What does your original contract say about rights reversion? Some include a clause about the company going under or ceasing to publish the work. For example, is there a definition of Out Of Print? Have you contacted publishers of similar works with your titles and sales figures? Perhaps you can get someone else on board.

I wish I could offer more than a couple of questions.

CheG

Registered
Reaction score
Website
chegilson.blogspot.com
I'll dig out my contract and see. Thanks for the suggestions though! I don't remember if there was any clause for the company going under.

TMarchini

Registered
Reaction score
Unless this was done as a work-for-hire, I wouldn't mention paying for the rights to TOKYOPOP at all. But I agree with Debbie V, your contract should be the first thing you consult in terms of next steps!

(Sorry I can't be more specific.)

zegota

Fantastic!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.matthewborgard.com
Another good option would be to try to chat with some other TP authors/illustrators, if you can. I doubt you're the only one in this predicament.