PDA

View Full Version : Reported deals, or lack thereof

JanetO
04-19-2011, 06:14 PM
In my search for agents, I regularly look at Publisher's Marketplace for those making a lot of deals, particularly in my genre. What perplexes me is that several well-known, respected agents have few, if any, deals reported over the last year or two. I'm not sure if their deals are simply not getting reported on PM, or if they are just not making any. I would think that an agent would have to make at least a few deals/year to generate an income and stay in business. Enlightenment appreciated...

ChaosTitan
04-19-2011, 06:50 PM
Agents generally report the deals to PM themselves. If they don't report them, they don't get listed. So no, every deal doesn't end up listed there, and it's possible that those agents you're referring to are actually selling.

suki
04-19-2011, 06:59 PM
Some agents don't report any of their deals. Some agents only report some of their deals. Some deals get reported far after the book sells.

Some agents report their deals to Publishers Weekly instead of Publishers Marketplace.

For those agents without many sales on PM or PW, you can google their clients and see if they have books coming out.

~suki

YAwriter72
04-19-2011, 07:24 PM
My old agent only reported a couple of his big name client deals. He had only a few listed for the last several years. But if you look at his coming soon page, there is a lot more.

I'd think it would be in the interest of the agent to post to PM, but what do I know. ;)

JayWalloping
04-21-2011, 03:10 AM
I have a suspicion that agents spend more time publicizing their successes when they want the floodgates of querying to open. They clam up when they're in the weeds. I've always taken deal announcements as a sign an agent is actively looking for new queries. Any one else find this true?