Do grammar errors in threads bother you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dandroid

Registered
Reaction score
i may notice...but generally i am more inclined to judge based on the content they produce....

Dandroid

Registered
Reaction score
i guess it really depends on your state of mind at the time...for instance, there are opinions in the "over-rated books" thread that, if i am having a bad day, i almost take personally.

Mom'sWrite

Service with a smile
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.returnengagement.blogspot.com
Strewn with, meaning riddled with, or the occasional typo or misuse of a word?

Riddled with, if you prefer. I don't spend time framing my responses so they adhere to MLA style, and I suspect few people would. An exception to the latitude seen in thread responses is anything put up for review in the SYW fora. Bring your A game to SYW.

Dandroid

Registered
Reaction score
you use mla? i thought the shift to apa was universal...tee hee

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
They get in my way - I can't help noticing, and they're a distraction. I take care to write correctly, and I return to edit if I spot an error after the fact.

I try not to be judgmental, but to answer the original question, yes - they bother me. I'd like to think I always take people seriously, though, until they prove unwilling to learn or improve.

Last edited:

shelley

figuring it all out
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, this might be a tad sensitive. I'd like to know how you perceive errors in threads/thread posts. I'm not talking about the occasional typo. I'm talking about repeated misuse of things like their, they're, there. When I see someone post a thread and then repeatedly misuse words such as this, I move on to the next post. I no longer take them seriously as a writer. I know it sounds harsh, but the internet is vast and has no filter, and I only have so much time to dedicate to various threads on this site and others.

Any thoughts?

It doesn't bother me. I don't find a few grammar mistakes enough to make me not take someone seriously. Also, ( and correct me if I'm wrong ) I think that this forum has members from all over the world, so I understand that the english language is not the native language to so many in here. So, a few grammar mistakes and word misuses are ok with me, as long as the content of their thread is interesting.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
bowie, I don't think Mom's post was personally directed at you.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I got a lot less bothered the first time I re-read one of my early morning posts.... Thank heavens for the edit-your-post button, says I! :)

Although I do think SYW is a different case. It's a wasted opportunity not to edit properly for that.

Mom'sWrite

Service with a smile
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I was just trying to ask if you meant that numerous errors should be expected in the average post. RELAX

The fact that you read "uptight" into my post kinda makes me giggle. I make two assumptions when reading posts: the writer really does have a decent command of the language and its rules, and is either caffeinated, medicated or lubricated.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I make two assumptions when reading posts: the writer really does have a decent command of the language and its rules, and is either caffeinated, medicated or lubricated.

Or it's very early morning in Australia - and they shouldn't be trying to communicate yet (see my earlier post) ;)

Last edited:

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
On a garden forum I love, there is this one man whose posts are truly terrible. There is not a speck of editing going on, lol. I wondered at first about him. But he's brilliant. Absolutely mind-numbingly brilliant. He's an artist, from a very respected artsy crowd, actually (who knew? :) ). He could be a writer, I'm sure.

People don't fit into neat boxes is all I know. I'm sure they don't mean to bother anyone. Past that, who knows? It's their business, mostly, imho. Of course, anyone is free to think what they like about it, too :) Move on then. Fair enough :)

Mom'sWrite

Service with a smile
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Sorry Mom. Your post came out of left field for me. I have a fairly decent command of language, but the MLA handbook has been replaced by Google. I didn't know what you were referencing by SYW. Please forgive. I'm relatively new to this site. Also- I'm reletively knew to this sight.

No worries, hon. Now go clean your room.

Status
Not open for further replies.