Mariachi bands and Puerto Rican culture

Plot Device

A woman said to write like a man.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com
My understanding is that mariachi bands are pretty much a Mexican thing. But is there any cross-over into Puerto Rico?

I was also told by a Puerto Rican friend of mine a few years ago that Puerto Ricans and Mexicans don't generally get along very well here in the USA. (She said that in her experience Mexicans kinda look down on Puerto Ricans.)

Here's my REAL question:

I'm proofing someone else's novel. It's a slightly-to-the-left-of-reality politcal satire where a lot of the characetrs aren't real and are mere cartoons of reality. One scene in the novel has a crooked Puerto Rican politician who just won a major election a few hours earlier in New York City. He comes bursting into a New York City restaurant with a mariachi band on his heels. He is wearing a ridiculously matched business suit of Miami pastel colors. And with the trumpets blaring behind him, he grandstands to everyone in the restaurant about his victory at the polls.

I am trying to write a proofreader's/editor's comment to the person who wrote the novel where I explain that I don't believe a mariachi band would be accurate for a Puerto Rican politician --especally in New York City where (I'm pretty sure) the majority of the Hispanic population is Puerto Rican. (Now, out in Los Angeles, Puerto Ricans would be a minority among the Hispanics.) But I could be wrong about how much cultural cross-over there might be as far as that musical niche goes. Maybe mariachi bands are a hot thing in Puerto Rico. Now I realize this novel isn't even real (it's deliberately hovering off in a somewhat removed plane of existence outside of normal reality) but I still need to satisfy this one in my mind.

Any thoughts??

-- And the author is a blue-blooded Irish Catholic gentleman in his 60's who has been in the New York politcal scene for decades now.