Unfamiliar punctuation

kborsden

Has a few recurring issues
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I've recently seen this (!) in a graphic novel. I'm stumped as to what it is committed to convey and in which way we would vocalize it.

It was apparent from the caustic language of the character that he was being facetious (love that word, one of the few to have all vowels in the correct order we use to remember them) - is it thinkable that this is supposed to be a style of punctuating such language, i.e. sarcasm etc?

kborsden

Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
At the end of a sentence? Why not just use a regular exclamation mark? Thanks for clearing it up though...just slightly confused for knowing :D

absitinvidia

A bit of a wallflower
Registered
Reaction score
I think this particular punctuation is used almost as an aside, because the facial expression and vocal intonation convey more than just the words on the page.

sunandshadow

Impractical Fantasy Animal
Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
(!) Can be roughly translated as any of the following: "He just said WHAT?" or "I can't believe it!" or OMGwhut?! or Wow that's impressively awful.

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
I've recently seen this (!) in a graphic novel. I'm stumped as to what it is committed to convey and in which way we would vocalize it.

It was apparent from the caustic language of the character that he was being facetious (love that word, one of the few to have all vowels in the correct order we use to remember them) - is it thinkable that this is supposed to be a style of punctuating such language, i.e. sarcasm etc?

Was it just on its own, or at the end of a sentence?

kborsden

Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
I use it all the time in online communication. I've not used it in fiction yet, but I can see it workinig for certain types of first-person narrators in a modern setting. Like the one in my current WIP (!).

(See how I did that there? The sentence itself doesn't take an exclamation point, but the '(!)' conveys a bit of surprise: in this case, it really would fit my main character's narrative style but I haven't used it and maybe I should....all conveyed in three quick keystrokes.)

Last edited:

skylark

Registered
Reaction score
It's often used to indicate that a particular piece of information would be surprising, rather than the whole sentence.

For instance:

At home, we have three dogs, two cats, and 75 (!) gerbils.

It's very casual, though. I'd be surprised to see it in fiction. Even fanfiction. It's the sort of thing I might use in a chatty email to a close friend.

kborsden

Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
How does it contribute to the vocalization of a phrase?

In the example that I reference from the graphic novel, the context is a relentless facetious rant - taking all comments into account, is it correct to surmise then that this particular manner of punctuation indicates in this case a dry spoken tone to the phrase that should be vocalized in a surprised manner or have a degree of inflection as if through supposed shock?

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
How does it contribute to the vocalization of a phrase?

To me, it isn't about vocalisation but about facial expression. When I see '(!)' in text, I visualise the person speaking what came just before with raised eyebrows and a look of some surprise on their face. Like the aforementioned 75 (!) gerbils.