Bolding/Italicizing/All CAPS Titles in Query Letters

Nightd

Registered
Reaction score
I've seen in a lot of sample query letters where the title is bold, all CAPS, or italicized. I've seen some where none of above is done at all, and the title is just written normally with the first letter of every word capitalized.

I think my letter looks fine with the title written normally. Is there a standard of convention must one follow for the title in the query the letter?

MttStrn

Action is my reward..that and bacon
Registered
Reaction score
I just recently heard an editor say that italics or all caps is standard and she specifically said that written normally is unprofessional.

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
Italics can get messed up in email queries, though. With all caps you don't have to worry about formatting going bonkers :)

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I just recently heard an editor say that italics or all caps is standard and she specifically said that written normally is unprofessional.

That editor is the one who sounds unprofessional.

Jennifer_Laughran

knows what she's looking for when she finds it!
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.andreabrownlit.com
It just doesn't matter in the least.

I'd say that jamesarichie is right about this. Honestly, nobody gives a crap how you write your title.

But because titles can look like just a word or phrase in a sentence (possibly making you sound like you have insane grammar), for clarity's sake it is nice to set them off in some way. Personally, I always use ALL CAPS. As mentioned, with ALL CAPS you have no fear of it being misinterpreted, coming undone or the formatting becoming garbled with weird hieroglyphics.

(That said, the way screenwriters often intro each character in all caps is unnecessary and kinda weird... but again, if you do it, nobody will lynch you or anything.)

Purple Rose

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alxblog.net
Every piece of information I have read regarding query letters specifically state ALL CAPS. This seems to be the accepted standard and you won't go wrong with it. On the other hand, you risk getting it wrong with some agents by not using all caps.

@JAR, with all due respect, how would you know?? You've only ever had to make one query in your entire successful multi-multi-title career :)