What should I do?

Sakura-chan

Registered
Reaction score
I sent a query to an agent with the first few pages of my manuscript and she responded positively saying things like how the story looked "good" and that she'll "be in touch." This was nearly a month ago and nothing has happened (no request for further pages, etc.). Should I write back to her now and ask her if she wants sample pages or just send her a general email to remind her about me? Or should I just do nothing at this point and give it a little more time?
Thanks for any and all advice.

BySharonNelson

(Insert something whitty here)
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bysharonnelson.blogspot.com
I would say after a month I would send an email and politely ask her if she is interested in some chapters or a full. Sometimes 'good' and 'I'll be in touch' are really just 'it's not gonna happen right now'. Agents get tons of submissions so don't put all your eggs in one basket, keep shopping around. :) Good luck.

PinkAmy

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
That seems like a strange response from an agent. Usually they either ask for full or part of the MS or they don't. The agent made extra work for herself this way. I agree with Sharon, the letter might just have been a polite form letter, but it doesn't hurt to respond to her email (with her email in the body because she probably won't remember you) to ask for clarification.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
She's probably very busy. This is a not very uncommon approach when such is the case. I'd give her two more weeks, and then send a short, polite, inquiry.

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
I'm with Sharon (above) on this.

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
Bear in mind that it;s been the London Book Fair this month, and so many agents from all over the world will have been out of action for a week or two, and so the month is really only a couple of weeks. I would give it another fortnight to let them catch up and then drop a gentle nudge email.

Sakura-chan

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice. I'll give it a bit more time before writing her. Hopefully, she'll still be interested but in the meantime I'll keep on querying other people. Thanks again!