PDA

View Full Version : The Looney Tunes Show (remake)

LOG
04-17-2011, 04:33 AM
In case you haven't seen yet, Cartoon Network is bringing out a remake of Looney Tunes, called, The Looney Tunes Show. As far as I can tell it's going to involve Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck...living together...
Here's a bigger synopsis:
The concept of the show revolves around Bugs and Daffy leaving the woods and moving to the suburbs with "colorful neighbors" including Lola Bunny, Porky Pig, Petunia Pig, Tina Russo Duck, Sylvester, Tweety, Granny, and Yosemite Sam. The show will also feature the CGI Wile E. Coyote and Road Runner shorts and "Merrie Melodies," two-minute music videos showcasing classic characters singing original songs.

I feel leery about this...remaking classics has a tendency to backfire. But CN has some good shows, maybe it'll surprise me.
Also, who wants to let them know Lola isn't part of the original Looney Tunes?

Shadow Dragon
04-17-2011, 04:39 AM
Well, they did have female bunnies from time to time that could count as Lola prototypes.

The only thing that kinda worries me is that it's set in a specific location. One of the interesting things about the old Looney Tunes cartoons was that they were happening all over the world. Though one of the main spin offs, Tiny Toons, had a set location and it worked out well for them. I'm going to give this show a shot and see how it turns out.

maxmordon
04-17-2011, 05:00 AM
For some reason, the idea of them living in the suburbs makes me think of Betty Boop and Mickey Mouse when they started living mundane adventures and lost their groove.

sailor
04-17-2011, 06:16 AM
So, no Marvin and Bugs on Mars?

http://i760.photobucket.com/albums/xx244/tnsailor/marvin_the_martin_1948-thumb-320x239.jpg

nighttimer
04-17-2011, 09:20 AM
Let's repaint the Mona Lisa too while we're at it. We've got the technology to do it better, right?:rolleyes:

I'd only be interested if they were showing the original cartoons. You can't improve on perfection and every time they've tried to re-do the Looney Tunes they have only proved this to be true.

The stink of "fail" hangs heavily over this announcement. :poke:

defcon6000
04-17-2011, 02:30 PM
I haven't watched CN in ages, but ever since they took off toonami, they've going downhill imo.

I love the original too much to watch a remake. Why the suburbs? Suburbs are boring! And there's no rabbit or duck season in the suburbs either. :(

BarbaraSheridan
04-17-2011, 05:05 PM
Saw a commercial for it but wasn't impressed. But that's probably because my daughter introduced her little one to the "real" Looney Tunes and I've been watching those while babysitting recently.

I still love those things--especially the Hollywood themed ones with the movie star caricatures. If this show tries with some of today's actors that might be amusing

Pterofan
04-17-2011, 10:58 PM
Maybe they'll meet up with Charlie Sheen. Now there's a Looney Tune.

Alessandra Kelley
04-17-2011, 11:28 PM
Wait, wasn't there an attempt to relaunch Looney Tunes a couple of years ago with, I can't quite recall, either animé-influenced or spiky-cool-alleged-urban-hipster-look characters?

Warner Brothers cartoons went to hell the day in 1963 they closed down the old cartoon studios and fired all their old animators. Even as a tiny child, I learned to watch closely the copyright date and turn off the TV if it said 1963 or after, they were that bad (all those wretched Daffy Duck-Speedy Gonzales atrocities, sadistic and less funny than a toothpaste commercial).

With very few exceptions, every attempt to remake the old Warner Brothers cartoons has failed miserably. This relaunch doesn't look hopeful.

Aaron Wilder
04-17-2011, 11:53 PM
Well, they did have female bunnies from time to time that could count as Lola prototypes.

That was just Bugs in drag :tongue

Shadow Dragon
04-18-2011, 04:25 PM
No, the hot ones were Bugs in drag. The regular looking ones were actual female bunnies. :tongue

As a side note, I really liked Looney Tunes: Back in Action and Space Jam. So, at least in my opinion, new Looney Tunes can be funny. Not as good as the originals, but funny none the less.

maxmordon
04-18-2011, 06:35 PM
Saw a commercial for it but wasn't impressed. But that's probably because my daughter introduced her little one to the "real" Looney Tunes and I've been watching those while babysitting recently.

I still love those things--especially the Hollywood themed ones with the movie star caricatures. If this show tries with some of today's actors that might be amusing

The WB cartoons from the 90'd loved this, hopefully it will return. It seems in the 00's is so easy to poke fun at celebrities (Tom Cruise, Lady Gaga, Charlie Sheen...)

Aaron Wilder
04-19-2011, 10:36 PM
No, the hot ones were Bugs in drag. The regular looking ones were actual female bunnies. :tongue

Are you sure those weren't Daffy in a bunny costume AND in drag trying to outdo Bugs? :tongue

Tiger
04-20-2011, 12:11 AM
They've not yet found a satisfactory replacement for Mel Blanc, IMO. Later versions of Yosemite Sam and Porky Pig never really made it for me.

Tiger
04-20-2011, 12:14 AM
Are you sure those weren't Daffy in a bunny costume AND in drag trying to outdo Bugs? :tongue

I loved the female duck in one of the noir spoofs--the one where she snuggled up to Daffy and called him a "gorgeous hunk a duck."

Aaron Wilder
04-21-2011, 09:34 AM
I've always thought that the best way to do a new Looney Tunes show would be to do it pro wrestling style. Different arenas (Live from Pismo Beach would be awesome) or "filming" on the WB lot from Animaniacs would help with the location changes. Entrance videos would be made up of old Looney Tunes cartoon snippets.

Bugs is the champ. Yosemite Sam is the evil Vince McMahon character who hires bad guys to go after bugs. Daffy is Bugs' sidekick, who goes from helping him (with disastrous results) to evilly plotting against him while showing up in different costumes every week. Porky Pig and Wile E. Coyote (the talking Bugs villain version) would be the commentators, with Wile E. doing an occasional ACME sponsored breakdown of the matches.

The midcard would be made up of characters like Foghorn Leghorn, Taz, Sylvester, etc. The opening matches would be the little guys, like that weird smart chicken kid and the chicken hawk (cruiserweights), or tag teams like the French Chefs. The referees would be Marvin (evil ref), Granny (good ref), Elmer (dumb ref), and Pepe le Pew (accidentally interfering ref). The cameraman would be the Road Runner, with Wile E. doing the tongue slurp when they cut back to him from backstage. The belt? Huge WB logo on a leather strap.

The special celebrities would be other WB characters like the Tiny Toons, the Goodfeathers and Freakazoid.

I've really thought about this A LOT over the years.

BenPanced
05-09-2011, 06:13 AM
Q: What do you get when you take the Warner Bros. cartoon characters, drain them of any personality and character, then place them in a "wacky" sitcom setting?

Yeah. The episode I watched involved Daffy and Bugs going on a gameshow called "Besties" so Daffy could prove he knew everything about Bugs. Along the way, it involved Bugs actually getting angry and shouting at Daffy like they were...sitcom roommates.

There was also a segment called "Grilled Cheese", in which Elmer Fudd delivered a Bawwy...erm...Barry White-esque ode to the titular sandwich.

regdog
05-09-2011, 03:12 PM
Of for the love of...

As if this wasn't bad enough (http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/6989380/ns/today-entertainment/")

Alessandra Kelley
05-09-2011, 03:26 PM
Fortunately the classic Looney Tunes cartoons are still available. It is stilll possible to see brilliant, original, funny animation with sometimes surreal, sometimes thought-provoking stories.

These people have not ruined Bugs Bunny for me any more than Burger King commercials have ruined Le Morte d'Arthur. They are only stupid modern tropes wearing Bugs Bunny masks.

maxmordon
05-09-2011, 05:14 PM
Is it me or nowadays most cartoons have a suburbian sitcom setting? Honestly, though, The Termite Terrace took years to perfection what we know now as The Looney Tunes; there was no CalArts or Rhode Island School of Design or anything in the past to compare them, there was no Happy Meal to worry about. The only thing is worry about was doing things within the specific time and on budget and you could pretty much do anything. Looney Tunes was not an institution, but an experiment.

You know, I have started to feel there's something that go wrong with cartoons once they become institutions and the people who were there from the beginning leaves. It's like if they think they have all figured out but end up having a bunch of shallow shadows of their former selves. (coughsimpsonscough).

heyjude
05-09-2011, 05:38 PM
We caught this while we were at Disney this weekend. It was mildly entertaining, but nowhere near the old shows. But THIS:

There was also a segment called "Grilled Cheese", in which Elmer Fudd delivered a Bawwy...erm...Barry White-esque ode to the titular sandwich.

:eek: In my mind, it was inappropriate and gross and ew. My kids didn't know what to make of it. I wish I could go back and unwatch it for them. And me. ::shudder::

heyjude
05-09-2011, 06:13 PM
:Hug2: Sorry, LOG. Didn't see your previous thread. Wonder if we should have a merge?...

Alessandra Kelley
05-09-2011, 07:24 PM
Q:There was also a segment called "Grilled Cheese", in which Elmer Fudd delivered a Bawwy...erm...Barry White-esque ode to the titular sandwich.

Eww.

Maybe they were trying to rip off the "VeggieTales" silly song love ballad, "You Are My Cheeseburger", which at least was funny, like most of their silly songs.

Shadow Dragon
05-10-2011, 01:24 PM
The Looney Tunes Show isn't that bad. And first episodes of a series is usually not as good as the rest.

Oh and am I the only one that liked Elmer Fudd singing about his grilled cheese sandwich?

BenPanced
05-11-2011, 04:56 AM
Maybe if he didn't sound so horned up about it...

mscelina
05-11-2011, 05:02 AM
Kill the wabbit...kill the wabbit...kill the WAAAAAAAAAAAAbit...

Oh. excuse me. Just reliving one of my favorite LT moments.

With my sword and magic helmet...

This won't work because Mel is gone. Period.

LOG
08-23-2011, 01:57 AM
So I'm curious, has anyone kept watching this? Is it good? At least passable?

maxmordon
08-23-2011, 02:07 AM
It's... average, or at least it seems to me. It's not as bad as I was afraid it would be.

Shadow Dragon
08-23-2011, 02:45 AM
The show seems pretty hit or miss. Some of the stuff on it is good but the rest is bland.

atombaby
08-24-2011, 07:56 AM
I know they're trying their best, but I just could never get used to new voices. That's the shame of cartoons. Once the voice changes, it's not the same.

Max Vaehling
08-24-2011, 03:22 PM
Just re-read this thread since somebdy just picked it up. Let me just state that:

No, the hot ones were Bugs in drag. The regular looking ones were actual female bunnies.

THIS is what make the Looney Tunes awesome - inspiring exchanges like this without them seeming outlandish or out of place. Unless the new show does that, it just isn't Looney enough to be LT.

maxmordon
08-24-2011, 05:56 PM
So, Elmer Fudd, millionaire, hunting entusiast, grilled cheese fetishist?

Victoria
08-25-2011, 08:05 AM
No Mel, no me. Sorry CN.

COchick
08-25-2011, 08:53 AM
We've seen some of it, and my kids tend to walk away after just a few minutes. But they LOVE the originals.

(Does anyone remember the episode where Bugs keeps saying "Hansel?" Every time my kids see that they crack up.)

Shadow Dragon
08-25-2011, 09:04 AM
We've seen some of it, and my kids tend to walk away after just a few minutes. But they LOVE the originals.

(Does anyone remember the episode where Bugs keeps saying "Hansel?" Every time my kids see that they crack up.)
Yeah, I remember that one. He was confused by the way Hansel was being pronounced. Though I can't remember the title of that cartoon.

BenPanced
08-26-2011, 06:34 AM
Bewitched Bunny (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bewitched_Bunny), the first appearance of Witch Hazel and her hairpins.

Jersey Chick
08-26-2011, 06:43 AM
My kids like the new Looney Tunes. I hate them. The voices sound weird and since when does Gossamer talk?

Max Vaehling
09-17-2011, 01:53 AM
Bewitched Bunny (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bewitched_Bunny), the first appearance of Witch Hazel and her hairpins.

That's the one where the children have that heavy German accent, right? I love that one!

Kyla Laufreyson
09-17-2011, 03:32 AM
After two episodes, I'm gonna stick with the good ole' Looney Tunes originals.

Jehhillenberg
09-17-2011, 05:24 AM
In case you haven't seen yet, Cartoon Network is bringing out a remake of Looney Tunes, called, The Looney Tunes Show. As far as I can tell it's going to involve Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck...living together...
Here's a bigger synopsis:

I feel leery about this...remaking classics has a tendency to backfire. But CN has some good shows, maybe it'll surprise me.
Also, who wants to let them know Lola isn't part of the original Looney Tunes?

I think this show sucks. As well as the "new" Scooby Doo.

Kyla Laufreyson
09-17-2011, 05:34 AM
I think this show sucks. As well as the "new" Scooby Doo.
The new "Scooby Doo" (because it doesn't even count as far as I'm concerned) should not be mentioned in polite conversation.

Day O'
09-17-2011, 06:04 AM
My nephew doesn’t have cable. He comes over and watches cartoons all the time. So I watched about half an episode--I didn’t want to ruin the real thing--and it was major suckage. However, the road runner ninja short was very cool. Why can’t they just make shorts? Why do they have to make cartoons like sitcoms? The thing is everyone—old or young—likes the shorts better.

Perhaps it’s a lost art form.

Yet, that ninja short came close. It made me hope and then the crappy Bugs and Daffy sitcom came back on.

maxmordon
09-17-2011, 07:31 AM
Sitcoms has infected cartoons, in my opinion. Blame an entire generation watching The Simpsons.

Mind you, The Simpsons was good. But made a bit too much fuzz around putting all clustered in how the characters relate to themselves and setting in animation.

Jehhillenberg
09-17-2011, 07:38 AM
The new "Scooby Doo" (because it doesn't even count as far as I'm concerned) should not be mentioned in polite conversation.

:D Got it. Sowry.