Mancunian Slang

eharbaugh

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone good with slang from Manchester (England, not New Hampshire)? I need some for a Mancunian character, but I want it to be fairly realistic and not just stereotypical textbook English slang.

eharbaugh

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not a Mancunian, but I have several Manc-based friends. What sort of slang are you looking for? Any particular meaning?

Just general stuff really. Common but realistic slang that actually gets used. I don't want my character to sound like a cliche.

crunchyblanket

the Juggernaut of Imperfection
Registered
Reaction score
I only know a few bits and bobs, and some of these aren't exclusive to Manchester, but I know they're used there.

A cup of tea can be referred to as a 'brew', as in "Make us a brew, will you?"

My Manc friend refers to her brother as 'Our Kid' (when he annoys her, she refers to him as a 'cocknobber')

If something is good, it's 'mint', 'sound', or sometimes 'dead good'.

If something is bad, it's 'cack'

To hit someone is to 'lamp' them

Wiskel

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
High above the rooftops...swinging from web to web
As a start you could hit youtube and watch a few interviews by Liam and Noel Gallagher.

Bear in mind that they're more "colourful" and exaggerated than most but it will give you an idea of the construction and rhythm of the accent. it's a hard one to define as I'm in Manchester frequently and don't notice much in the way of distinctive words or phrases beyond simple stuff such as "y'know" and "alright" I probably couldn't pick most mancunians out of a lineup after hearing them speak.

Craig

Edited to add that all of Crunchyblanket's stuff above is good.

Kenn

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
I think there's probably the odd word that's slang, but the regional accent is more to to do with pronunciation and grammar. For example, a Mancunian might say "tek" for take. Another characteristic is saying "it were" instead of "it was". None of these are unique to Manchester.

I don't know about the Gallaghers, as they seem to have odd accents to me. If you want an example of a distinctive Mancunian accent then Christopher Eccleston (Dr Who Number 9...I think) is a good one.

whacko

Keeping up with the class
Registered
Reaction score
Have a look at the movie 24 Hour Party People - it's about the Factory nightclub and record label based in Manchester.

Failing that, as I'm assuming you're not in the UK, try youtube for videos of Britain's longest running soap opera, Coronation Street. Again, it's set in Manchester way.

Regards

Whacko

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
You could watch Life on Mars. OK, it's set in the 70s so will obviously be dated but it might help you with the flavor of Manchester.

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
Manchester dialect words. It's also common in Lancashire to use us instead of me. Give us it, give us a kiss, that sorts of thing.

And they say pumps instead of plimsolls. When I moved down to Norfolk aged nine, no-one had a clue what pumps were. I'd say give us our pumps and they'd laugh at us.