Email addresses

CDancourt

Registered
Reaction score
Do you have a specific email adress for querying?

So far, I used what I call my 'anonymous' adress, on Yahoo. For what I read here and there, Yahoo is fine compared to AOL, Hotmail or Gmail when trying to contact agents, so far no answers landed into the spam box (I checked ;) )

But I am wondering if I should create a new one, with my penname for an example... What do you think? Or rather what do you do?

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
You need a dedicated email address that is instantly recognizable as not being spam (which means something that shows your name, rather than HotChick912@yahoo or some such.)

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
I use a Windows Live (MSN) address, with my first two initials and last name. I've never had any problems with it.

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
I use hotmail, which is fine if your email is not an embarrassing address.

I use [email protected] which has been fine

MikeGrant

Registered
Reaction score
I have a specific email address for anything to do with my writing. I use another email address for everything else. Splitting the two up makes sure I don't miss anything.

PinkAmy

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
I have a few email addresses. One for writing. One for friends. One for signing up for things (inviting spam). My writing one is the title of my MS.

DiloKeith

Doesn't scare easily
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
dilokeith.wordpress.com
I have a few email addresses. One for writing. One for friends. One for signing up for things (inviting spam). My writing one is the title of my MS.

I do something like this, except with about fifteen addresses. The two writing-related addresses are my pen name at ~. I need to re-think my strategy because I've given my writing address to a lot of writing friends. My first publication is coming out soon, so I'll want a clutter-free place for mail.

Last edited:

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
You can use you general e-mail, but it's better to have a specific e-mail address for business. It simplifies everything, guarantees you don't lose something important through your spam filters, and simply makes you look more professional.

I'm a selling writer, so I need a business account, and I need a business computer, because the IRS frowns on anything less, especially come audit time. It's just smart to have both in place before you actually need them. Once you need them, it's too late.

I don't like using Yahoo, and hate Hotmail. My business spam filter blocks and deletes anything coming from Hotmail. Simply too much crap, and even infections, come through Hotmail for me to take the chance.

DSA

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Warning: I use Windows Live Mail to read my email through Earthlink. Starting in January, it starting dumping (not allowing me to see) any email from a yahoo address. I have to log in every day to Earthlink web mail to see if any yahoos (sorry) sent me mail. It's very annoying. I've searched for a solution but haven't found one yet. BTW, I have a writing-dedicated gmail address which doesn't throw out the yahoo addresses.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
I have a writing email address. It's just my name @ yahoo, but I thought it looked more professional.

bluntforcetrauma

Esquire
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Think I'd make a new one Darren. While fine, your current email address seems more informal than bussiness-like. Just sayin'.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I have my own domain name and email address.

I think public email accounts such as Gmail or Hotmail is fine, but make sure your email account is professional sounding. Good idea to get one that is actually your name, and not "starwarsfanatic" or "studlyJim."

MikeGrant

Registered
Reaction score
I think public email accounts such as Gmail or Hotmail is fine, but make sure your email account is professional sounding. Good idea to get one that is actually your name, and not "starwarsfanatic" or "studlyJim."

This. My wife works in recruitment, and some of the email addresses where people send her their resumes from are hysterical. She's had them from addresses like "[email protected]" before now. Those job applications usually don't get very far!

Bron

Registered
Reaction score
I agree with bluntforce, Darren. I'd make a new, more professional-looking email address with some variation of your name.

darrtwish

Registered
Reaction score
I prefer to use a separate email address for writing stuff, even though my personal email address is of the first name.lastname variety. I use a separte email for two reasons: I write under a pen name, and just in general I like to keep personal things personal, and writing things separated.

Purple Rose

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alxblog.net
I created a separate email address for anything to do with writing, including queries, signing for related websites, correspondence with freelance editors, etc First name last [email protected]

I have found gmail to be the best because I do not have to save addresses in the address book. After reading horror stories from AWers about spam emails going to their agents through viruses or hacking, I decided to use a service that allowed addresses to be stored elsewhere. I'm not sure if it helps but it's worth a try.

CAWriter

Registered
Reaction score
The silly aliases people use are fodder for some entertainment at writer's conferences. I was at one earlier this week and one agent friend remarked that he was surprised to see an email in his inbox from "Mom." It turned out that one of his clients had her son set up her new email account.

Agents prefer to get correspondence with some version of an actual name.