Is it time to remind the agents I exist?

Luis

Registered
Reaction score
The last 3 literary agents that I met at the WD Writer's Conferance, in NYC on January 21st, have yet to get back to me about my novel. All the others have rejected it, in case anyone's wondering.

Well, I'm ready to get the bad news and get on with the business of self publishing.

Should I e-mail them and ask what's up? Or do I wait a little longer. It's not like it's been six months or anything.

Any advice??

Thank you

Luis
http://writerinwind.blogspotcom

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
It's the three month mark since the January 21 conference, and not quite that yet.

Is it you query letter or partial/full manuscript you are waiting to hear on?

Did you actually give these agents your query and/or manuscript at the conference, or send/email it to them later?

If it's been three months on a full or partial, I would definitely send a polite nudge. For a query letter, I'd figure no response meant no and move on. Keep in mind three months is not that long anyway.

JSSchley

Have Harp Will Travel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jessicaschley.com
I'd figure no response meant no and move on.

I would see what you can find out before making this assumption, though. It's usually not too hard, given sources like AW's B&BC forum and querytracker to find out if the agent in question is a "No answer means no" or if they just forgot your stuff.

Anne Lyle

Fantastic historian
Registered
Reaction score
Cambridge, UK. Or 1590s London. Some days it's har
Website
www.annelyle.com
Well, I'm ready to get the bad news and get on with the business of self publishing.

How many agents have you queried? How many books have you written? How much do you want a commercial book deal?

If you are going into self-publishing with your eyes open, that's OK. But it's not the magic bullet that people seem to think. It's hard work, at least if you want to succeed - just like landing a book deal in commercial publishing!

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
If it's been three months on a full or partial, I would definitely send a polite nudge. For a query letter, I'd figure no response meant no and move on. Keep in mind three months is not that long anyway.

I'd probably wait another month before sending a nudge.

But yeah, if it's a no response for a query, then it means "no."

And how many agents have you queried? Why give up so soon? Maybe there's something wrong with your query? Have you posted it in Query Letter Hell for a critique. If something is not working, maybe it's not your book but the query itself. It's good to fix that before giving up altogether.