PDA

View Full Version : E-book publisher Smashwords.com

Alexandermerow
04-16-2011, 04:07 PM
Has anybody of you ever published an E-Book at smashwords.com? I published my translated book "Prey World" there and I hope somebody will read it ;)
I have no experience with Non-German E-Book-Publishers, so I wanted to ask. Is this publisher reputable?

rsullivan9597
04-16-2011, 04:31 PM
Has anybody of you ever published an E-Book at smashwords.com? I published my translated book "Prey World" there and I hope somebody will read it ;)
I have no experience with Non-German E-Book-Publishers, so I wanted to ask. Is this publisher reputable?

Smashwords is a very professional organization - but don't expect huge sales from it. Make sure you are using their distribution features to get into B&N, sony, kobo etc. You'll get more sales from the retail giants then smashwords direct.

Alexandermerow
04-16-2011, 04:40 PM
Thanks for the informations. I expect nothing and I published my book for free. Now I sit and wait what happens :D

Catana
04-25-2011, 10:15 PM
Smashwords is a distributor, not a publisher in the usual sense. They're very reputable, and if you have problems, Mark Coker, the owner, is usually right there with an answer. I've bought a lot of books at Smashwords, and will be publishing all my work there.

veinglory
04-25-2011, 10:17 PM
Indeed, keep in mind that they are a vendor and distributor. So while you can publish with them you are the 'publisher'.

James D. Macdonald
05-05-2011, 03:29 AM
Latest from Smashwords:

Smashwords Partners with ScrollMotion to Deliver Indie Ebooks to Major Mobile App Marketplaces (http://blog.smashwords.com/2011/05/smashwords-partners-with-scrollmotion.html)

Stephanie Golden
05-05-2011, 07:45 PM
...do you opt out of SW's Amazon channel?

My book has been listed on Amazon for a while, and I just put it up on SW in all formats. I was wondering whether I should opt out of the Amazon channel. I would be getting slightly higher royalties from the Amazon listing, so that seems to make sense.

SW now says they expect to start listing at Amazon in September. So this isn't an issue yet, but will be. And what would happen if I don't opt out? Would there really be two links on the Amazon page for the book?

Sheryl Nantus
05-05-2011, 07:49 PM
I wouldn't hold my breath - SW's been talking for over a year about being able to cut a deal with Amazon. I'll be surprised if it ever happens.

dgaughran
05-05-2011, 09:41 PM
SW now says they expect to start listing at Amazon in September. So this isn't an issue yet, but will be. And what would happen if I don't opt out? Would there really be two links on the Amazon page for the book?

I wouldn't bet money on September either.

But, if I am wrong, a lot of 99 cent sellers will consider switching over to Smashwords. You make much higher royalties at that price point from Smashwords.

However, there are reports that if you list on B&N through Smashwords, you aren't as visible as the PubIt authors. I don't know the reason for this, but it's possible that B&N game the system for their own authors.

There's no reason why Amazon couldn't do something similar.

Either way, there's no reason to worry about switching on or off the Amazon channel, as it doesn't do anything, for now at least.

KevinMcLaughlin
05-05-2011, 11:18 PM
Smashwords used to allow less keywords than Pubit, which meant a Pubit book had a better chance of finding readers via keyword searches. I think Pubit allowed longer descriptions, too. I know these were issues Smashwords was working on, but not sure where it's at right now.

Two edges for using Smashwords over Pubit: higher royalty on books outside the $2.99-9.99 range (so for instance, if you're writing 99 cent short stories, use Smashwords - income is 60% instead of 40%). Also, all Pubit books have the "Pubit" logo and a button users can click if they find the content offensive or problematic. If the Pubit logo ends up associated with bad quality books, not having that logo might be valuable, and Smashwords books have neither - there is no visible difference between a Smashwords ebook on B&N and an ebook from any other publisher.

Carmy
05-06-2011, 07:30 AM
Are we all forgetting that Smashwords used to produce Kindle ebooks until a few months ago?

KevinMcLaughlin
05-06-2011, 11:00 AM
Are we all forgetting that Smashwords used to produce Kindle ebooks until a few months ago?

I think I recall reading that they did at one point distribute to Kindle. Not sure when that stopped, but I know they were NOT as of last September, and have not in any of the intervening time.

Sheryl Nantus
05-06-2011, 02:05 PM

I've been with Smashwords since almost the day they opened and never recall any deal with Amazon.

They've been in constant negotiations and had the option ready on the site to opt in/out but never a final deal.

jnfr
05-06-2011, 08:23 PM
They do output to a Kindle-compatible format, so you can buy books for your Kindle there. That may be part of the confusion.

Sheryl Nantus
05-06-2011, 08:34 PM
They do output to a Kindle-compatible format, so you can buy books for your Kindle there. That may be part of the confusion.

Ah, bet that's what caused the confusion.

Yes, you can get books for the Kindle there - but they don't distribute to Amazon.

Sort of bass-ackwards and forwards...

jairey
05-09-2011, 01:33 AM
Just published my collection of short stories on/through Smashwords. It's #2904 in the list of books to be converted!

FOTSGreg
05-09-2011, 02:06 AM
I started with my short stories on Smashwords. I just put up my first novel HATCHINGS, on Smashwords. All are also now available on Amazon. I start with Smashwords because I can get a free ISBN through them by listing them as my "publisher".

I'm planning an anthology release for later this month or early next month (it's almost all put together) and I also plan to expand to CreateSpace for print this month for HATCHINGS and probably next month for the anthology.

I have 3 more novels in the works (one about 50% complete) and plan to have the next one available in a couple months. Realistically, it might be twiceor four times that long though before I think it's ready to go.

Catana
05-10-2011, 07:47 AM
Ah, bet that's what caused the confusion.

Yes, you can get books for the Kindle there - but they don't distribute to Amazon.

Sort of bass-ackwards and forwards...

Why is it bass-ackwards? If you allow your Smashwords book to be formatted as .mobi, then people with Kindles can read it. You can opt out of any of the formats that Smashwords offers, but the more formats your book is in, the more potential buyers there will be.

Sheryl Nantus
05-10-2011, 03:49 PM
Why is it bass-ackwards? If you allow your Smashwords book to be formatted as .mobi, then people with Kindles can read it. You can opt out of any of the formats that Smashwords offers, but the more formats your book is in, the more potential buyers there will be.

The original question was about Smashwords distributing TO Amazon along with the other outlets.

The confusion came in, we think, because while Smashwords does do the formatting for the Kindle they do NOT distribute to Amazon, not as of yet.

As for opting in and out - many prefer to go to B&N/Amazon on their own and have more control over their product. To each their own.

It was a phrase, nothing more.

rsullivan9597
05-10-2011, 04:14 PM
Becaue of the slow update time for changes on Smashwords to propogate to the other venues, my rule of thumb is if there is an easy interface direct - use that. If not then use smash words.

Neil Larkins
05-12-2011, 02:59 AM
Just wanted to tell everyone that a few days ago I took the plunge and self-published to Smashwords. No problems so far but it's early. I'm also in the babystep stage of my promotion. So, even tho I'm on Facebook, there's not much there and don't have a blog as yet. Going to be a lot of work.
Thanx for the info about their distributing to Amazon or no. Thought they did.
Here's my link until I get it permanently on my AW profile:
http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/57847

Henri Bauholz
05-13-2011, 06:09 PM
I have noticed a huge growth in authors submitting content to Smashwords. My first submission (Jan. 2011) took about one hour to go through the system, while my most recent has been is the queue for over two days and is still waiting.

My Blog (http://bluefoxcafe.wordpress.com)

James D. Macdonald
05-14-2011, 08:45 PM
When writing the product descriptions for your works:

Be aware that the Nook store at B&N only uses the Short Description, while the iBookstore only uses the Extended Description.

This can make writing the descriptions ... challenging.

SJS DIRECT
06-30-2011, 07:10 AM
Use them to distribute free stuff. Also use them to get distributed to kobo, sony and apple ibookstore. Not expecting much in sales, but they are effective in getting a writer exposure.

The Grump
06-30-2011, 08:02 PM
I've a freebie up on Smashwords. People seem to be finding it even though I do little to market it besides showing the cover a few places. I'm wondering what will have when I switch the story to $0.99 in August.

Stephanie Golden
06-30-2011, 08:14 PM
I've a freebie up on Smashwords. People seem to be finding it even though I do little to market it besides showing the cover a few places. I'm wondering what will have when I switch the story to $0.99 in August.

Come back and tell us what happens!

James D. Macdonald
07-04-2011, 04:41 PM
Smashwords is running a summer sale right now, where you can temporarily reduce the prices of your book(s) for a month.

Also, they're out of free ISBNs, expecting to get more this week.

James D. Macdonald
07-14-2011, 02:33 AM
They still don't have free ISBNs.