Reaction score
Yay! Some people DO change, after all.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
And while some may think he needs to be fully converted, I believe his testimony is stronger because he still believes homosexuality to be wrong. What Marinelli's revelation shows is that even those who believe homosexuality is "immoral" or "against God" or whatever religious belief they may base their opposition on—it doesn't have to prevent them from supporting civil rights for others. I may think, for example, that it's immoral for murderers to be allowed to marry while in prison, but I don't have the right to prevent it.

This is exactly how I feel. I'm a Christian and, morally, according to my religion, I think having sex outside of the union between a man and a woman is wrong. I also think divorce is morally wrong. Homosexual marriage is not my battle, so I'm not going to go out with signs and whatnot, but I'm not going to stand in anyone's way, either. This is America; if enough people want to make something law, and it's not unconstitutional, then it happens.

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
Just for clarification: Is it the sex outside of marriage that you object to? Or non-hetero sex on the whole? I can't remember whether the Bible makes a distinction.

Gale Haut

waxing digital artistic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.galehaut.com
This is exactly how I feel. I'm a Christian and, morally, according to my religion, I think having sex outside of the union between a man and a woman is wrong. I also think divorce is morally wrong. Homosexual marriage is not my battle, so I'm not going to go out with signs and whatnot, but I'm not going to stand in anyone's way, either. This is America; if enough people want to make something law, and it's not unconstitutional, then it happens.

These easy statements of argumentum ad populum are exactly what our community is fighting to overcome. Just because the interpretation of the Christian Bible that determines homosexuality to be a sin is the most popular one doesn't mean it's the only or best interpretation. So no, you aren't against homosexual marriage because "you are a Christian." You are against it because of how you choose to interpret your religion. A "choice" that I've definitely never had in my "interpretation" of my sexuality.

On the subject, I personally agree with what Reverend Tutu had to say: "We treat [QUILTBAGs] as pariahs and push them outside our communities. We make them doubt that they too are children of God – and this must be nearly the ultimate blasphemy. We blame them for what they are."

absitinvidia

A bit of a wallflower
Registered
Reaction score
This is America; if enough people want to make something law, and it's not unconstitutional, then it happens.

If only. When it applies to gays, more like: This is America; if enough people morally oppose something that is found to be constitutional, we change the constitution.

Ludicrum

Registered
Reaction score
So no, you aren't against homosexual marriage because "you are a Christian." You are against it because of how you choose to interpret your religion.

Indeed.

Last month I had shellfish for dinner at a buffet. The eating of shellfish, according to the bible, is an abomination. I guess I'm going to Hell, because God hates shrimp.

http://www.godhatesshrimp.com/

REPENT, SINNERS! :mob

Mara

Clever User Title
Registered
Reaction score

EDIT: Okay, I'm going to try to explain without getting into a big debate or lecture.

This is a forum that's supposed to be a fairly safe place for QLTBAG people. We get constantly hurt by people around us, especially people who say the most hurtful things about our morality or relationship with God. This is one of the places we go where we know that we won't be judged or condemned by others.

You're coming here and saying this stuff to us. You're basically saying that I'm not a real Christian, that I'm immoral, and that you don't care what happens to me or how I feel because "it's not your battle." And then you kinda post it in a tone like you think you're being nice because of that, and that we should praise you for not outright trying to have us thrown in jail or something.

Do you not realize how this is hurtful? I honestly don't think you meant to be hurtful or offensive, but please, stop.

Last edited:

Uncarved

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
What really really irks me (and I'm a straight woman with a lesbian daughter) is the term "gay marriage". Really? REALLY? When, I ask you, when have you ever heard people calling it "straight marriage". I was straight married on May 27th, to my straight lover.
However, everyone and their dog says "I support/oppose gay marriage" "gay lover" "gay this" "gay that". I hate the distinction since it makes the UNSAID assumption that the "norm" is the straight version. Its just marriage. lovers. not gay or straight.

Its a soapbox for me. But damn it irks me to see people ranting against "gay marriage".

I think everyone has a born right to love whoever they want whenever they want and however they want.

Corinne Duyvis

My New Cat Is Too Big for Shoulders
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.corinneduyvis.com
I think that, until we do live in that kind of an ideal world, there's nothing wrong with making that distinction -- for clarity as well as other reasons. Unfortunately, people do assume that couple/lover/anything = straight. Many gay people don't want that assumption to be made about them. Refusing to point it out can make a (political) point, and it's one I value, but at the same time, it often means less visibility.

Besides, it's a part of our identity; we take pride in it. And I just don't feel quite comfortable policing how people describe themselves and their own situations.

When it's done by straight people, I think it depends on context. In the context of wanting to legalize gay marriage, it's kind of hard to just call it marriage, since the distinction is part of the issue. In the context of something entirely unrelated, then yes, it can be weird to point it out, but... I think it depends.

I mean, I see your point and I don't outright disagree, but I think it's a little more nuanced than that.

Though none of that stopped me from totally adoring this quote: http://bit.ly/gt31F3

:D

Uncarved

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
I think that, until we do live in that kind of an ideal world, there's nothing wrong with making that distinction -- for clarity as well as other reasons. Unfortunately, people do assume that couple/lover/anything = straight. Many gay people don't want that assumption to be made about them. Refusing to point it out can make a (political) point, and it's one I value, but at the same time, it often means less visibility.

Besides, it's a part of our identity; we take pride in it. And I just don't feel quite comfortable policing how people describe themselves and their own situations.

When it's done by straight people, I think it depends on context. In the context of wanting to legalize gay marriage, it's kind of hard to just call it marriage, since the distinction is part of the issue. In the context of something entirely unrelated, then yes, it can be weird to point it out, but... I think it depends.

I mean, I see your point and I don't outright disagree, but I think it's a little more nuanced than that.

Though none of that stopped me from totally adoring this quote: http://bit.ly/gt31F3

:D

That is utterly fabulous. :)

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
ETA: Originally this post was me being all defensive, but honestly, I'm really sorry if I hurt or offended anyone and I'll just stay out of it from now on. I saw this post under "new posts" and I assumed it was in P&CE.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.