PDA

View Full Version : Sexting and bullying

eustacegirl
04-15-2011, 05:28 AM
My character used to be a bully and into sexting. Now, he is is a CHristian, trying to change and trying to prove to teh girl that he has changed. So how do people slowly com eoout of sexting and bullying

Amadan
04-15-2011, 05:32 AM
Most people who do rotten things lack self-awareness and empathy. So, a growing sense of self-awareness ("Wow, I'm actually kind of an asshole") and something that causes him to feel empathy for his victims would probably be the starting point. If he's just doing it to impress a girl, then it's only going to stick if acting like he feels remorseful actually causes him to feel remorseful.

Haggis
04-15-2011, 05:35 AM
My character used to be a bully and into sexting. Now, he is is a CHristian, trying to change and trying to prove to teh girl that he has changed. So how do people slowly com eoout of sexting and bullying
They're sent to jail and have their cell phones taken away? :Shrug:

strictlytopsecret
04-15-2011, 05:42 AM
One possibility could be that he entered a discipleship type relationship (akin to a "mentor" for new Christians), who then helped him overcome this behavior.

Another could be that he received professional counseling and began working on the issues that led him to engage in bullying in the first place.

A third scenario might involve legal charges brought by a victim (or his/her parents).

You might even want to consider adding in some content to your story where the former bully makes amends with his former victim.

Good luck with your project,
~STS~

Nick Blaze
04-15-2011, 10:10 AM
I'd personally find other religions would promote self-discipline better than Christianity, but oh well.

I was bullied heavily as a child. So much so that fights every week, knife fights and gang fights were common in my childhood. Hell, even seeing fellow classmates being killed wasn't unheard of. Anyway, the bullies I knew were bullies because they thought they had power, or a reason to think themselves better than another person. This does come from a lack of self-awareness, a lack of humility and humbleness.

That was the reason my mother originally forced me into the martial arts, a decision I cannot praise enough. The first time a bully stopped bullying me, and in fact stopped being a dick, was after two years of training when I almost killed him but ended up sparing his life. Though I worded it that way, I was honestly far too afraid to kill him, but I did cut the back of his wrist. Tendons were torn, he couldn't hold the knife anymore. Being in that situation, I assume he may have realized he created the monster he saw in front of him. Maybe then he became aware of what he was doing.

He was the kind of bully who had killed my cats just to "bully me" (hell, the ****er threw one off a cliff, RIP). Karmic retribution came his way, though, but that's not for this topic.

As for sexting, I was not born into the age where cell phones had screens. or keyboards... or T9... or the ability to text. I have never done it, nor any of my friends, so I cannot offer any advice there.

mccardey
04-15-2011, 10:19 AM

Does he need to come out of it slowly? These are things he chooses to do or not do - so all he needs to do is stop doing them.

Shakesbear
04-15-2011, 12:53 PM
He becomes the victim of a bully but as a Christian he has learnt to turn the other cheek. In doing so he is able to face down the bully with his new found self awareness, confidence and dignity, feelings and emotions that come from the knowledge that the belongs to a worldwide group of people which give him a sense of belonging. His inward spirituality would change and this would be reflected in his physical demeanour and his behaviour. His use of language would change - swearing would stop, his tone of voice - not just the physical voice but the voice on the texts. All of these plus all the nuances of a man who has found himself through Christ would be very apparent to the girl.

PinkAmy
04-15-2011, 03:01 PM
He becomes the victim of a bully but as a Christian he has learnt to turn the other cheek. In doing so he is able to face down the bully with his new found self awareness, confidence and dignity, feelings and emotions that come from the knowledge that the belongs to a worldwide group of people which give him a sense of belonging. His inward spirituality would change and this would be reflected in his physical demeanour and his behaviour. His use of language would change - swearing would stop, his tone of voice - not just the physical voice but the voice on the texts. All of these plus all the nuances of a man who has found himself through Christ would be very apparent to the girl.

You're talking about a hormonal teenager whose frontal lobe isn't fully developed---the part for moral reasoning and self actualization. The situation you describe seems like something an adult/parent would envision or expect rather than something that would actually happen-- unless you're talking about a period of years or he's taken out of his environment and sent to some kind of treatment program geared at behavior control rather than insight oriented change.

Sydneyd
04-15-2011, 03:20 PM

I think that you should focus on your character's path in becoming a Christian. At what point did he decide to follow this religion? What happened when he decided this? At what point (after or before) did he realize (or was told) that his previous actions were something that he needed to try and fix? What did his church leaders recommend that he do?

I think that at a young age, even though he has made an important personal decision, his choices and actions would be influenced by the church leaders around him.

Stlight
04-17-2011, 03:02 AM
Attonement might help the girl believe he's really changed. Of course experience with reality might make her VERY suspecious of the supposed conversion and the reality of the change. I would find it almost impossible to believe.

Celia Cyanide
04-17-2011, 08:52 PM
What kinds of things was he doing? That would help answer the question. For me, anyway.