A little advice?

pangalactic

Gargling blasters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
chrisbissette.com
Not sure why I'm turning to the boards for advice on this, but I figure you're all a good bunch. You haven't done me wrong yet :)

Long story short (and it really was a long story - I've just deleted the whole post, because it wasn't needed), I'm going to go back to university to finish my degree in September. The problem is, I really don't know when to tell my boss I'll be leaving. On the one hand, I've worked for this company for about 6 years, and I feel like I owe it to them to give them as much notice as possible.

On the other hand, they treat me like shit and I don't really owe them anything, and my boss will probably make my life hell if I tell her I'm leaving. So should I just leave it until the last minute (i.e. give my month's notice come August) or let her know as soon as I get confirmation of my place at Uni (which will be some time in the next few weeks)?

What would you do, given this admittedly very limited amount of information?

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In the US it's typical to give a two-weeks notice (is it typical to give a months notice in the UK?).

I would do whatever is considered typical and professional there. Don't over think the whole thing.

pangalactic

Gargling blasters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
chrisbissette.com
In the US it's typical to give a two-weeks notice (is it typical to give a months notice in the UK?).

I would do whatever is considered typical and professional there. Don't over think the whole thing.

I'm not sure what's typical; I'm a member of management and my contract states 1 month, so that's what I need to give.

I over think everything. It drives my girlfriend crazy :) Thanks, though. I know you're right, I just need to convince myself.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Then give them one month. Don't play around with it (for either your benefit or theirs); just keep it simple.

Here, some companies will kick someone loose after they give their notice (and pay them for the two weeks), while others prefer that the person stay and take care of any loose ends.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Definitely one month. That means you've acted professionally. Absolutely ZERO reason to let them know any sooner. Don't give them an excuse to sack you before you're ready to go. I wouldn't give notice far in advance unless I worked for an amazing faultless organization that treated me 100% awesomely.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Yep, only do what's required. It's very nice that you are more of a 'team player' than that, but don't let them screw you, either ;)

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, just do what's expected. If someone does otherwise, it can sometimes cause more problems than if they'd just kept it simple.

Here, companies will often let someone go before their notice period is up, unless it's on very friendly terms. They don't want people going around the office saying things like, "Yeah, I'm glad to be leaving this hellhole" or "I'm making a lot more than you do, but I still don't want the job" or "I got a another job doing the same thing and making a lot more money."

I used to work for a large engineering firm whose policy was that if someone turned in their notice, they had to leave immediately (and get paid for the time they didn't work) because they didn't want someone taking any of the proprietary computer stuff with them.

Last edited:

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
I'll chime in with the majority. If it were my job, I'd give tons of notice just because I know my boss would go OMG what are we gonna do? NOOOOOOO! And I happen to like him. But for somewhere you're not appreciated? Heck no. Then it's just business, and business means you do it by the book.