PDA

View Full Version : French Speakers,Please help!

Kitty27
04-14-2011, 09:38 AM
I am trying to find out how to say 'the dark court" in French. I tried Google and got what seemed like a hundred different ways. If anyone could assist me with the correct words,I would be very grateful.

Thanks in advance!:D

*Rep Points all around*

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Manuel Royal
04-14-2011, 04:34 PM
Well, translated literally I guess that would be le tribunal sombre. Not sure if that suits your needs, though; tribunal is like a court of law; I'm guessing you mean more like a royal court.

Maybe something more like le cour de obscurite' or le cour noir or le cour de ombres. Or le palais sombre. Maybe something in there about le sang royal. I'm not helping; sorry.

Hey, maybe if you put the thread in the International District (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=214) forum, you'll have better luck.

Lil
04-14-2011, 05:19 PM
Are you talking about a legal tribunal, a royal court, or a courtyard? Dark in the sense of badly lit or dark in the sense of malevolent?

Kitty27
04-14-2011, 08:33 PM
Are you talking about a legal tribunal, a royal court, or a courtyard? Dark in the sense of badly lit or dark in the sense of malevolent?

I'm sorry. I should have been clearer. I am talking about a royal court and they are malevolent vampires.

WriteKnight
04-14-2011, 09:07 PM
"le cour noire " Is the expression you are looking for. Just as 'film noire' carries the connotations of darkness with the night time, it also has the malevolent feel to it, as well as the technical aspects of shooting in low key mise-en-scene.

CaroGirl
04-14-2011, 09:26 PM
"le cour noire " Is the expression you are looking for. Just as 'film noire' carries the connotations of darkness with the night time, it also has the malevolent feel to it, as well as the technical aspects of shooting in low key mise-en-scene.

I think there might an agreement problem in that expression, though, WriteKnight. Why does "noire" take an "e" if the noun, "cour" is masculine, as implied by the use of "le?" I don't have a French/English dictionary here at work with me, but when I get home I'll look up whether "cour" is masculine or feminine, unless someone else gets to it first.

Edit: Okay, I looked it up online. "Cour" is feminine, therefore, the expression should be: la cour noire.