Editing WWII Letters for Length

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lavinia

Registered
Reaction score
Good morning - I am finally at the point where I am beginning to think about my book proposal package. But as I move in this direction I have a question.

I am writing my dad's story of when he was in WWII. He was in intelligence and worked with the Japanese Katakana Code. He wrote more than 400 pages of letters to his folks during this time and I am including some of those letters in the book, in fact, it is probably 1/2 to 2/3 of the book. I have been encouraged by historians and writer's as well, to include the letters, but now wonder, should I edit the letters for length. I haven't done this yet, but can see that they may be easier to read if I do it that way. But they also lose some of their charm.

Incidentally, my dad is a very good and detailed writer, sometimes funny and sometimes moving you to tears. I wonder, should this whole "package" be finished or should I leave the letter in completely and hope to work with a good publisher or agent on what should be left in and what should be taken out. I'm not talking about altering the letters at all except for length.

Any advise greatly appreciated! Lavinia

AdamMac

Back for more
Registered
Reaction score
Good morning.

If every word is brilliant, then keep it all. I would be very surprised if you didn't have to edit for length though. The trick is in knowing what to cut.

Status
Not open for further replies.