PDA

View Full Version : Oh, the irony...

JoNightshade
04-14-2011, 05:35 AM
Is anyone else haunted by a particular internet ad that JUST WON'T GO AWAY?

Mine used to be that animated lady who looks fat and then gets skinny by following just one simple rule. I clicked on it once out of curiosity (WHAT IS THE RULE?!) and it followed me for months.

A couple of weeks ago, I was browsing some Google page when I saw - lo and behold - an ad for the company I work for! Tickled, I took a screenshot, sent it to my boss with an "I see you're using Google ads" note, and then... I clicked on it.

What was I thinking?!

It's not like it's a bad company, but heck, it's my JOB! You know when I most don't want to think about my job? When I'm on my own time, browsing the internet, dilly-dallying when I should be logging in to work.

Now all of my internet time is tainted by constant reminders of Oh hey! Shouldn't you be working? Hey! What about me! Hey, have you finished that project yet?

Vito
04-14-2011, 05:41 AM
I clicked a link to an Internet ad that repeated the phrase "Rou bao-zi da gou" over and over again. Not sure what it means, but it's got a good beat and you can dance to it. :banana:

cptwentworth
04-14-2011, 05:42 AM
Funny. When I'm wasting time through the internet, then I come back to my home page, which is a weather site, the top banner always shows whatever subject I've been on. So my banners rotate quite frequently. Search for cruises, then it'll bump your work ad right off. Or anything Vegas. :) I've never clicked the banners, though, to see what would happen.

SinisterCola
04-14-2011, 05:42 AM
I'll never forget those ads where a "person" would start talking to you. Good way to remind me my volume is very high!

JoNightshade
04-14-2011, 05:50 AM
Funny. When I'm wasting time through the internet, then I come back to my home page, which is a weather site, the top banner always shows whatever subject I've been on. So my banners rotate quite frequently. Search for cruises, then it'll bump your work ad right off. Or anything Vegas. :) I've never clicked the banners, though, to see what would happen.

I would recommend against it. Strongly. For some reason the Internets think that means you're really interested and want to see it FOREVER.

Vito
04-14-2011, 06:03 AM
Roo boo-zoo da goo goo...Ro-bo zow da gow gow...ah, shucks, I give up! :Shrug: Just beat the ol' dog with a sesame-seed bun, for cryin' out loud!

JayMan
04-14-2011, 06:04 AM
Oh my. Why would you click on an internet advertisement?

That's like opening Pandora's box.

Yeshanu
04-14-2011, 07:14 AM
Jo, please tell me what, if anything, you learned about that "one simple rule." That one's been bugging me for months, but I will not click, no, no, not I!

Does anyone think that they're being targetted by Google? Or do the Sims Medievel ads that appear at the top of the Cooler for me appear for everyone? If they don't, the Sims guys are wasting their money--I bought the game already, dammit!

JoNightshade
04-14-2011, 07:17 AM
Jo, please tell me what, if anything, you learned about that "one simple rule." That one's been bugging me for months, but I will not click, no, no, not I!

:roll: THEY DON'T TELL YOU! I think maybe you have to buy something. It's not on the site when you click into it. I'm such a sucker.

Does anyone think that they're being targetted by Google? Or do the Sims Medievel ads that appear at the top of the Cooler for me appear for everyone? If they don't, the Sims guys are wasting their money--I bought the game already, dammit!

Are you kidding? Google is targeting EVERYONE. :D

cptwentworth
04-14-2011, 07:28 AM

Nope, mine are always writers conferences and short story competitions.