Status
Not open for further replies.

defyalllogic

i'm a girl. (i have tendonitis)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
(Sorry if this ins't the place)

I've noticed a lot of blogs and sites have "donate" buttons. Sometimes they clearly explain why they're asking for your money, sometimes they don't.

I've donated to duotrope because I value the service, and to a web series I appreciated and wanted to see continue and to AW because it's a valuable resource...

But sometimes I see regular blogs and sites that while they're providing entertainment and content it just doesn't seem the same. That might just be what I value rather than a tangible difference between an entertaining blog and an entertaining web series.

If you're reading Joe Schmoe's blog and he's got a donate button, have you donated? would you donate because you like the blog? would you only donate if he said he can't afford the site and needs the money?

I suppose it's personal choice but some donate buttons seem to annoy me... :Shrug:

thoughts on the donate button?

Max Vaehling

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dreadfulgate.de
I have a donate button myself, though I never donated. I just think, if people are into this, why stop them?

What I do like is the Flattr system. You pay a monthly fee which then gets shared among all the sites you 'flattred' during the month. I'm not convinced it'll be a solid form of income for many people (I first expressed this at ComixTalk a couple of months before I tried Flattr myself), and so far I've only just about managed to get my monthly 2$ back. But I like it as a donation system because it reduces the actual cost of clicking the Flattr button to zero. After all, the money is already spent.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Only AW for me--but I'm as generous as I can afford to be.

Maryn, generally kind of a cheapskate

Libbie

Worst song played on ugliest guitar
Registered
Reaction score
I donate to sites and podcasts I use a lot. Duotrope back when I was using it a lot with my short fiction...the Skeptoid podcast and a few others.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't donate to blogs. I do give when I can to free websites that I make good use of: AW, Duotrope, Icanhascheeseburger. Yes, I give to keep my lolcats free.

CheyElizabeth

My horn can pierce the sky!
Registered
Reaction score
I donate to AW and other websites I get use out of. Some of my favorite podcasts have a donate button and I've donated there because I can't survive without my favorite podcasts and they put a lot of work into them.

defyalllogic

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
it seems like its not a matter of how entertaining a thing is but how much effort it takes (podcasts, web shows, information compilers and script writers...) and how much you get out of it.

Thats good. I didn't want to think I was the only one. I feel like I donate for things I'd pay to have now that I know how good they are or pay to not lose...

There are so many sites around that I don't go to any one enough to be dedicated to more than a small few and then if they're big enough (or seem to be big enough) I'm still not moved to come out of pocket for them.

Also when I feel like a blogger is doing something they'd be doing even without an audience I don't feel moved to donate. It's like supporting someone's hobby.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
I've never donated to any blog or anything like that. I have plenty of charitable causes I'd rather contribute to. :)

And no, I haven't given anything to AW yet. It falls under my personal policy of not spending money on writing until I've made some. But when I DO sell a book, someday, AW is going to get a fat check. ;)

pangalactic

Gargling blasters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
chrisbissette.com
I've donated to Duotrope, and I'm a Spotify premium member (does that count? I'm counting it). As soon as my money situation clears up a litle bit - and admittedly if I cancelled the Spotify subscription that would help, but I use it a hell of a lot - I'm going to donate to AW and a couple other sites I use. As a rule, though, I don't.

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
I don't donate simply due to finances. The more 'business type' sites I figure are not dependent on donations to keep going; other places, like AW, I try to 'donate' in other ways, by participating in discussions where I have some knowledge or experience.

AlwaysJuly

slugging through
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thisisnotnotmydayjob.blogspot.com
I would donate to a writing website that provided a service, like duotrope or AW or, back inthe day, the online crit community that had to close due to expenses. But I wouldn't donate to an individual blog, even if it was informative and entertaining. Blogs are a dime a dozen and can earn money through referals and advertising (I earn a little on my own blog, for that matter, though money's not the purpose of it).

But if I donated to blogs, it would take away from my cat-charity budget, and that wouldn't be good for my crazy-cat-lady-in-the-making mojo.

Purple Rose

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alxblog.net
AW and Wikipedia. I use these two sites a lot and would feel just awful if I only took and never gave.

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
I think it's silly to have a donate button at a blog. I mean, most blogs are free. And, if you pay for a site to have your blog, then it's up to you to incur that cost.

As for places like AW, Duotrope, and other sites such as this, one participates in a forum that costs the forum gate keepers money. These are the kind of sites I would like to donate to.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've donated to AW recently, and a different writer's site while I was actively using it. As Susan said above, my presence uses their server resources and that costs them money. The least I can do is to pay my own way.

I don't read blogs or run around web-serfing much, so I don't have much exposure to donation buttons. Still, if I'm enjoying the service, I don't mind paying for it.

whimsical rabbit

Bunned
Registered
Reaction score
Like Susan said, when I participate in a forum such as AW, where at least one person, such as Mac, runs and moderates and pays and gets sued for my, yours and everyone else's beliefs, opinions, indiscretions and so on, I do think it's fair I contribute the tiniest tiniest bit I can afford.

kelloish

Registered
Reaction score
No real reason, but my donations tend to go to forums like this one =) Not that I donate all that often.

defyalllogic

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I guess if I like a blog, enough to "donate" I'd rather buy what they're selling. literally. recipes, books, shirts, crafts. even if I don't need them I'd much rather buy something from someone to show I appreciate their hard work than just give them money. In real life I wouldn't just give my friends money because I like them or their advice or conversations or because they want more money...

Like the difference between beggars and buskers. One I wouldn't consider giving to, the other I would if i found their talents exceptional.

feeblepizza

kinda human mostly cat
Registered
Reaction score
No, but if I had some cash to spare I suppose I might give a buck or two to some special sites :)

Status
Not open for further replies.