AWers in VA

pandora1983

Jill of all trades,well,some trades
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thetravelpaige.blogspot.com
I need a location in VA...campground..themepark..attraction..etc
Somewhere campy,odd ,strange...the weirder the better. Im doing searches and talking to people..but some of the best places are off the beaten path.
So if anyone knows of any place...
Id be much obliged.
TY

Linda Adams

Soldier, Storyteller
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linda-adams.com
Try here:

http://eccentricroadside.blogspot.com/search/label/Williamsburg Virginia

http://eccentricroadside.blogspot.com/search/label/Virginia

http://eccentricroadside.blogspot.com/search/label/Virgina

The book Weird Virginia is also a good resource for the strange and weird.

For the most part, you want to stay out of the area around Washington DC--Springfield, Arlington, Alexandria, etc. Once you get past that area, things change a lot. There's a hot springs called Warm Springs in Bath County; Lurray Caverns. Frommer's may be worth a look, too, because you can get the names of places and then see what sites are available on them.

cscarlet

AW = Procrastination.
Registered
Reaction score
I was going to suggest Lurray as well. They have the "worlds biggest stalacpipe organ."

The "Natural Bridge" is another option. Quite visually interesting.

Sarah Madara

Freeway stomper extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
There's a hot springs called Warm Springs in Bath County; Lurray Caverns. Frommer's may be worth a look, too, because you can get the names of places and then see what sites are available on them.

Edited: Damn! You all beat me to Natural Bridge.

We used to go to Warm Springs every year!!! There's a resort (The Homestead) in neighboring Hot Springs, but Warm Springs doesn't get much action. Warm Springs has two historic bath houses (one for ladies and one for gents) built for use of the naturally occuring hot springs (aka Jefferson pools).

Luray caverns is very cool. There's also a natural bridge that's neat, but not so spooky.

Mountain Lake Resort is where Dirty Dancing was filmed. If you go farther up the mountain, the University of Virginia runs Mountain Lake Biological Station, which is sort of like a small summer camp for biologists. I wouldn't call it spooky, exactly, but it's a unique place.

Look into the coal mining towns in southwest VA. Mines are creepy, and there's a fair amount of... how shall I say this? Appalachian stereotypes... I can't bring myself to describe what I'm talking about because it will sound mean, and I love VA.

Last edited:

pandora1983

Registered
Reaction score
Website

Sarah Madara

Registered
Reaction score
Please do explain this, I have traveled all over VA and have been to many creepy areas as well as lived in some of these areas and I'd like to know what stereotypes you find so 'scary'. Perhaps I may be one of the scary people you encountered?

Okay, I have to apologize. I did not mean to imply that I find the stereotypes scary. Mines are scary (if you're claustrophobic), but not the people.

There are many Appalachian stereotypes. If you want to know more about that, I suggest Google because I'm reluctant to go there.

Again, apologies. I should have left the good people of Appalachia out of it.

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
I vote for Lurray as well. Because I just....love caves. I think they're awesome. And very beautiful.

As for Appalachia, I suggest reading Bill Bryson's A Walk in the Woods--it's a memoir full of stories of all the "weird" experiences he had hiking the Appalachian Trail. I haven't hiked it myself, but my dad and my brother both have, and apparently some of the people who do it regularly can get....odd.

Little tidbit that's actually pretty cool about that: The regular AT hikers, who go back and do it every year, have nicknames for each other. I don't think they even know each others' real names, but when they run into each other, and recharge at the little stations set up along the trail with those logs where you can leave messages and stuff, they do give each other crazy names. I wish I could think of one off the top of my head, to give you an example, but nothing's coming. I'll ask my brother and come back.

Sarah Madara

Registered
Reaction score
The Appalachian Trail has seen its fair share of scary, if that's what you're going for. The women murdered in 1996 added to my camping phobias. If you go to the bottom of this link it lists several other previous murders.

http://www.aldha.org/murders.htm

Also, there was at least one episode of hantavirus along the AT. According to the CDC website:

"In April 1993, the patient had started hiking on the Appalachian Trail northbound from Georgia through North Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, and West Virginia. From May 13 through June 20, he hiked primarily along the Appalachian Trail in Virginia and reported evidence of mice, including excreta and rodent traps in shelters and bunkhouses."

Hantavirus is usually contracted by inhaling aerosolized mouse excrement.

Info on shelters:

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.mqLTIYOwGlF/b.4805485/k.598A/Camping_and_Shelters.htm

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know if 'fairystones' do it for you, but I visited fairystone park just to pick up a few. They grow like crosses, naturally. Just in that one location.

LIVIN

Registered
Reaction score
If you're going for odd and/or strange, I would not suggest Lurray Caverns. I am utterly flabergasted that anyone thinks Lurray Caverns is odd and/or strange, let alone half of the people in this thread. Then again, I'm the type to sleep with bats. (Not by choice, mind you, but I put myself in situations where it is a serious possibility.)

pandora1983

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thas some story.
Im focusing on obscurity. The creepiness should just be an undercurrent. I need more thn just one location..but Im asking AWers because I want something with an "off" vibe about it. guess it would be more unsettling..than outright scary.
Thanks everyone for your help!

Sarah Madara

Registered
Reaction score
I can't believe I never knew about that castle! Very cool.

There's a house on a hill that overlooks the University of Virginia campus, called Lewis Mountain House, Kearney House, or, my favorite, "Non-ticello." (It looks a bit like Monticello, and since Jefferson founded UVA, a lot of people think that must be Monticello in the distance.)

Anyway, apparently the owners have dogs chasing away visitors, which is a little creepy to me. It may or may not be occupied. If it's empty, it would be kind of cool.

"Among many colorful chapters in its century of history, as reported by C-VILLE’s Ace Atkins, the Society of the Precious Blood grew wine grapes and trained priests there until 1950."

The house is also commonly said to be Dr. Seuss's residence (it never, ever was) because UVA students are "Hoos" and Charlottesville is sometimes called Hooville. The fact that the Grinch lived on a hill overlooking "Whoville," not "Hooville," seems to be a detail that has not mattered to the urban legend.

envision

novice novelist
Registered
Reaction score
Edited: Damn! You all beat me to Natural Bridge.

Look into the coal mining towns in southwest VA. Mines are creepy, and there's a fair amount of... how shall I say this? Appalachian stereotypes... I can't bring myself to describe what I'm talking about because it will sound mean, and I love VA.

Mines are creepy, but you should see the sulfur plants at night. Sometimes you can see fire and lights as you drive past them and there's the horrible rotten egg smell.

There are TONS of people who live up to the Appalachian stereotypes in southwestern Virginia. I live here, unfortunately, and other than mountains and coal mines there's not a lot here. Yes, some places have historical significance, but there's not enough history here to make up for the lack of opportunity. Also, while I know a lot of intelligent people from the area, I have to say I've met more than my fair share of people who fit the stereotype almost perfectly.

The Natural Bridge idea sounds like a great idea. Also, has anyone mentioned the "Seven Gates of Hell" place in Virginia?

envision

novice novelist
Registered
Reaction score
oooh seven gates of hell?? im off to google

Okay, I didn't find the exact video, but I think this comes close: http://www.roanoke.com/news/roanoke/wb/265673

"According to legend, weird things happen as you pass through the farm's seven gates: Cellphones die near the fifth gate, car engines putter out. Slave ghosts rattle chains. Ax murderers abound."

Of course, it's just legend, but people still go there to see the famous Seven Gates of Hell.