PDA

View Full Version : Dear television and print media

regdog
04-13-2011, 04:29 PM
I DON'T GIVE A DAMN ABOUT THE ROYAL WEDDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can stop trying to shove that tripe down my throat. I don't care that two people I don't know are getting married. Nor do I care who's designing her gown, who is on the guest list, etc, etc, etc.

I would like to turn on the news or pick up a magazine or newspaper and not see these two.

kthkxbye
regdog

LOG
04-13-2011, 05:03 PM

You can stop trying to shove that tripe down my throat. I don't care that two people I don't know are getting married. Nor do I care who's designing her gown, who is on the guest list, etc, etc, etc.

I would like to turn on the news or pick up a magazine or newspaper and not see these two.

/signed

RickN
04-13-2011, 05:21 PM
I don't watch TV news and I don't read news or gossip magazines, so my only exposure to the wedding is blurbs during commercials. And, the DVR keeps the commercials to a minimum.

I read a couple stories to see what was happening so I'm good. I don't understand the infatuation, though. I didn't understand it with Charles and Diana either but it was harder to avoid on TV in the pre-DVR pre-Internet days.

ChaosTitan
04-13-2011, 06:11 PM
+1

bettielee
04-13-2011, 07:30 PM
I'm totally watching it.

mirandashell
04-13-2011, 08:24 PM
I'm like Rick. I've managed to avoid quite a lot of it too. And if I see an article in a newspaper, I just read something else.

And if you think it's bad now, wait until afterwards. Remember what it was like when PD was alive?

JanDarby
04-13-2011, 08:42 PM
What royal wedding?

Just kidding. But, really, that's my reaction every time I hear something on tv about the upcoming wedding, and I have to stop and remind myself, "oh, yeah, these people I don't know and don't care about and who don't have any particular relevance to anything in anyone else's lives are going to get married, and someone apparently thinks it's interesting to some audience."

alleycat
04-13-2011, 08:46 PM
I agree, but if it wasn't this tripe it would be some other tripe such as what Lady Gaga was doing, or yet another story on Charlie Sheen, or (if it's ABC) who got eliminated on Dancing with the Stars.

SirOtter
04-13-2011, 10:13 PM
Or Lindsey Lohan's latest refusal to report to jail. WTF?!?!?! You send the US Marshall to her house, clap her in irons and haul her off to the pokey. Why is this newsworthy? Why is she newsworthy? Why is it when I go to HuffPo, half of what I see are banner headlines about this or that couple breaking up, and I have no idea who either of them are or why I should care that they're breaking up?

News is dead. Murrow weeps.

Lavern08
04-13-2011, 10:28 PM
...You can stop trying to shove that tripe down my throat.

Amen!

zahra
04-13-2011, 11:27 PM
I'm in the 'indifferent' camp, too.

It really annoys me when, having avoided numbskulliate celeb stuff by not reading dumbass newspapers or mag or tuning into showbiz TV shows, I get some friend or other starts yattering excitedly about the relationship break-up, weight loss or other yawnsome event in some celeb's life.

I mean, I loves me some Tom Hardy, but I've no idea what his wife or kid are called, and I feel no desire to know, nor would I care if he broke up with her tomorrow, unless he moved down my street and expressed a desire to find the new Mrs H as soon as possible...

seaaircarol
04-26-2011, 01:27 AM
I'm totally watching it.

Me, too. I think it's fun. I stayed up to watch Charles and Di's wedding. I'm not going to stay up (or get up early, as the case may be) this time, but I'll watch a rebroadcast. I've been watching some of the specials on Lifetime and TLC, too.

blacbird
04-26-2011, 02:30 AM
It would be better if they would broadcast the honeymoon.

dpaterso
04-26-2011, 02:37 AM
It would be better if they would broadcast the honeymoon.
There's a live webcam feed but it's pay-per-view, and no peasants allowed.

-Derek

Calla Lily
04-26-2011, 03:04 AM
I only want to see "the dress", and I'll catch a pic online later.

JoNightshade
04-26-2011, 03:13 AM
All I know is prince somethingorother is getting married, probably to a woman. I might have spotted a photo at the grocery store checkout line.

Ahh, blissful ignorance.

bettielee
04-26-2011, 03:23 AM
I'm going to fashion a tiara out of wire and aluminum foil....

BenPanced
04-26-2011, 03:49 AM
Out of the infinity10 articles out there, I've managed to somehow read three, so I'm not doing too bad.

Jersey Chick
04-26-2011, 05:47 AM
I watched Charles & Diana's wedding, but in my defense, I was 9.

I will not be watching this one. I just don't care.

Silver King
04-26-2011, 06:05 AM
I heard today that one third of the world's population (yes, the entire globe) will be tuned into The Big Event at one time or another.

Not sure how that's even possible, but my hope for humankind has dropped a few notches just thinking about it...

Williebee
04-26-2011, 06:09 AM
+1TM

BenPanced
04-26-2011, 09:41 AM
Maybe now would be a good time for us to invade Guantanamo Bay...

JoNightshade
04-26-2011, 10:03 AM
I heard today that one third of the world's population (yes, the entire globe) will be tuned into The Big Event at one time or another.

Not sure how that's even possible, but my hope for humankind has dropped a few notches just thinking about it...

I don't even have any idea when it's happening.

Also, my hope for humanity ended when my mom posted "Really, America?" on Facebook and I thought she was talking about some important political issue. Turns out she was referring to American Idol.

gothicangel
04-26-2011, 12:14 PM

kthkxbye
regdog

You should try living in the UK. ;)

I'm still trying to work out how to avoid it. I first thought was I could go through to St Andrews -no, that's a terrible idea. I don't want to go to Glasgow or Edinburgh. I think I'll probably go and do some hill-walking.