PDA

View Full Version : Vision ezine looking for writing-oriented website reviews

Anne Lyle
04-13-2011, 12:50 PM
Vision, a free ezine for writers, is looking for website reviews of relevance to writers - publishing, research, writing tips, etc.

http://visionforwriters.com/visionjoom/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2&Itemid=3

Pay is 1 cent per word for a 500-2000 word article. I've had several articles published by them over the years, and can vouch for them as a genuine paying market.

Snitchcat
04-13-2011, 08:49 PM
I've subbed work to them before. The editor is great to work with. They pay promptly. And just in case you're unaware, they're a part of Forward Motion Writers.

JulieBeth
05-04-2011, 08:06 AM
Vision, a free ezine for writers, is looking for website reviews of relevance to writers - publishing, research, writing tips, etc.

http://visionforwriters.com/visionjoom/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2&Itemid=3

Pay is 1 cent per word for a 500-2000 word article. I've had several articles published by them over the years, and can vouch for them as a genuine paying market.

$.01/word??? Yikes! How is that worth your time?

Izz
05-04-2011, 08:09 AM
$.01/word??? Yikes! How is that worth your time?*cough*please read thi (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31330)s*cough* :)

Snitchcat
05-04-2011, 08:14 AM
I apologise in advance for what may come across as rather an aggressive defence of "Vision". But, it's an e-zine that's free, and when it started, it was not able to pay its contributors. It's only recently that is has gained that capability.

The pay may not be what you'd expect from a professional market, but don't knock the e-zine. I've forgotten how many years it's been going, but all the payment comes from donations to the site it's linked to and also out of the editor's pocket.

"Vision" was launched from Forward Motion Writers. The idea is to "pay it forward". Contributors write for it because many of them feel that they should help other writers to progress in their careers (whatever stage they're at).

And what Izz said -- he? she? beat me to the link while I was looking for it! (^_^)

JulieBeth
05-04-2011, 08:23 AM
Sorry, I read that after I posted! :( I guess there is another side of freelance writing that I see and hear from other writers - a lot of writers getting taken advantage for their work. Being also familiar with the Internet marketing side if things people will ask for .01 articles and then turn around and make much more from the products. Writing is a skill that should be paid just like other skills. I understand not everyone can afford to pay a lot of money for writers - but doesn't it feel like cheap labor??

Snitchcat
05-04-2011, 08:27 AM
Heh, IMO, not really, no, it doesn't feel like cheap labour (can tell you about that feeling some time if you like :) ).

If you haven't already, take a look at some of the e-zine's issues and look for the tone of the articles and the passion conveyed. It's put together out of love of the craft and to help others.

Izz
05-04-2011, 08:30 AM
Sorry, I read that after I posted! :( I guess there is another side of freelance writing that I see and hear from other writers - a lot of writers getting taken advantage for their work. Being also familiar with the Internet marketing side if things people will ask for .01 articles and then turn around and make much more from the products. Writing is a skill that should be paid just like other skills. I understand not everyone can afford to pay a lot of money for writers - but doesn't it feel like cheap labor??Julie, while i understand that you have the best of intentions, please read the sticky i linked to again, particularly this part:

Please, if a job doesn't pay enough to make it worth it for you, just don't apply. There's no need to post to complain about it. We'd all love it if every editor who posted here paid $1/word and up, but it's not going to happen. The editors who pay very well generally don't need to post on message boards looking for writers.

If there's something dishonest about the job, or if you want to raise other questions, that's fine. But please, enough with the posts just to say, "Wow! That pay stinks!"

This isn't the place to discuss what you perceive to be low pay-rates. If you think they do merit discussion (in general), then the Freelance Writing discussion subforum (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3) is the place to do so. :)

Cheers
Izz

JulieBeth
05-04-2011, 08:41 AM
Heh, IMO, not really, no, it doesn't feel like cheap labour (can tell you about that feeling some time if you like :) ).

If you haven't already, take a look at some of the e-zine's issues and look for the tone of the articles and the passion conveyed. It's put together out of love of the craft and to help others.

Okay, I will check it out - sorry if I came across insulting! Just looking at things from a different perspective. If it is passion driven, that is always good!

Snitchcat
05-04-2011, 10:32 AM
Heh, it's all good. I'm not insulted. I like different perspectives and discussion is always a positive activity. (^_^)

Anne Lyle
05-04-2011, 12:22 PM
At the risk of continuing the pay discussion - I write for Vision "for the love", because I've been a member of the Forward Motion community since 2003 and it's been hugely helpful in keeping me focused on writing. In fact I asked them to pay the fee for my last article back into the donations fund for the site.

As snitchcat said, it's about paying it forward. FM exists to support writers seeking professional publication - it's helped me achieve just that, and I'm happy to help others do the same.