Fun Activities for Indoors

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrs75

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mistisandefur.com
Parents, what are some fun activities that you do with your children when you have to be stuck indoors due to rain, snow, or etc..?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Tish Davidson

Registered
Reaction score
Go to the thrift store when they have their end of season sale and everything is super cheap and have your kids pick out hats, lingerie, cowboy vests velvet robes old Halloween costumes- whatever and have them play dress up. We used dress up clothes for years and years - first for play, later for school projects.

paprikapink

Bored fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
paprikapink2.blogspot.com
Draping sheets over furniture and gettin underneath it always seems to cheer everyone up.

My kids and I cook together a lot. They can have hours of fun with yeasted bread dough if you are not too attached to the quality of the end product. I let them make whatever shapes they want out of pretzel dough or pizza dough. They love putting sprinkles on everything and trying to recognize what their shapes have turned into when you pull them out of the oven.

Ever done any wet felting? Making balls is a fun project that takes little skill but produces fun results. You take a tiny bit of carded wool, also called wool roving, get your hands wet with warm water, add a teensy drop of liquid soap, and roll it into a ball. When it's really firm -- the wool will bind to itself -- you add another thin layer of wool and roll some more. You keep building like this till the ball is the size you want. You can use different colors of wool to make patterns on the surface of your ball. It's fun. Keep the cats away from the balls though. Cats love to tear this stuff up.

Here's one I haven't tried but am ready for this year ---- I saved all the drips from our beeswax candles last year. I'll add some more beeswax to that and we'll have a candle making day. I have to buy wick and a mold or two (they can be expensive) but I think I can accomplish the rest of it with empty tin cans.

We watch almost no TV, not even videos, so I have to have a lot of tricks up my sleeves on rainy days.

Oh, but that reminds me. If it's really been raining for a few days, we love to watch "Singing in the Rain" together and eat popcorn.

RubyRoo

The pretzel in an egg!
Registered
Reaction score
The chocolate game.

Sit in a circle with a plate of WHOLE chocolate bars unwrapped, a dinner knife(not a sharp one!), a fork, gloves, scarf and hat in the middle. Roll a dice and whenever it comes up six that person has to put on all the items of clothing, cut the chocolate and eat it oly using the knife and fork and not their fingers when on the choclate bar part of the challenge. But in the mean time the rest of the players are rolling the dice too and if they get a six then the person already eating the chocolate has to stop and pass everything to that person and so on. It is hilarius as somepeople only get to puting on the first item before they are stopped and some people cant work out how to cut the choclate with some a blunt knife!:D

blisswriter

blissed beyond belief...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We like to...

My daughter is 8. We like to make clothes for the Barbie dolls, curl up on the living room floor and watch a good movie, sing and dance to fun music, dress up and take photographs.

FOXTALE

EZ 3 Bean

Someone mentioned cooking. Here's a salad that is a hit with kids. I used to have our scouts make this while camping. Works well and kids actually love it. (Along with a veggie wheel, when they discover PEOPLE can cut carrots, celery, broccoli, and zuccini just like what you buy at the deli.)
Anyway E Z 3 Bean =

E Z 3-Bean Salad
15 oz. can Red (Kidney) Beans
15 oz. can Cut Green Beans

15 oz. can Garbanzo (Cece) Beans

Small 2 oz. can Sliced Olives

¼ Cup Granulated Sugar

1/3 Cup White Vinegar

1/3 Cup Salad Oil

Ground Black Pepper

Large 1 & half Quart Bowl with tight seal lid.

Open and drain beans and olives.

Pour sugar into bowl, add the vinegar and stir until dissolved. (This is a solution that will ‘crack’ the starches on the beans.)
Add the oil, don’t stir.
Shake in the ground pepper until surface lightly ‘dusted.’
Add the beans and olives. Stir until mixed well, or if using a see-thru bowl, seal and ‘roll’ the bowl in your hands until beans are well mixed. (Kids love doing that.) For best flavor, set aside for 2 hours to chill in refrigerator before serving.

Enjoy. Also watch for my stories in The Front Porch periodical. Jim Fox

Status
Not open for further replies.