PDA

View Full Version : Response times for partials

JanetO
04-13-2011, 04:43 AM
I know the wait for a response on a partial request varies a lot from agent to agent, but I'm curious to find how long others have waited. No need to name any agents. Though number of pages would be interesting to know. Thanks.

Susan Littlefield
04-13-2011, 05:26 AM
I've had two partials out before and received wonderful responses back within a few weeks. They were rejections, but with kind and helpful feedback.

Procrastinista
04-13-2011, 05:41 AM
Totally varies. Around one month to two months is pretty typical.

Becca C.
04-13-2011, 05:54 AM
I had two partial requests, waited around two weeks for each of them. I've been lucky in my submission luck so far.

CDancourt
04-14-2011, 02:56 AM
There are some good statistics for that on QueryTracker. You need to register first, though... For what I checked, about 6 to 8 weeks in general, but it really depends I guess.

scope
04-14-2011, 03:44 AM
As has been said, the time frame varies all over the place. From one day (not likely) to one week, month, months, even year(s). However, I think it's fair to say that if you don't receive a reply to a requested partial within six months it probably won't happen. Be sure to read the agents guidelines and if a time frame is stated I'd suggest adding 4 weeks to same before you nudge. If no time frame is statedI'd wait 8-10 weeks and then gently nudge.

daisyb
04-19-2011, 04:21 AM
I had three agents ask for partials from a conference at the end of Jan. Two still haven't responded, although one said if you don't hear back in three weeks, the answer is no. The third agent responded six weeks later with a no.

Sandsurfgirl
04-19-2011, 08:07 AM
It has varied for me from a week to a couple of months. I have 2 partials out now and both agents said give them 12 weeks to review. It's been like 6.

I do suggest nudging after whatever amount of time they give you. TWICE now I waited the specified time (one of them was 3 months) and the agent never got my email. UGH. One of them reviewed that day because she felt so bad about what happened. Gave me an R but some good feedback.

CDancourt
04-22-2011, 03:48 PM
One agent requested a partial in march. I sent it with UPS and it's been about one month now. The named agent never told me how long it might be before an answer. Should I nudge or wait a bit longer?

hester
04-22-2011, 05:44 PM
Hi Kreuse,

I'd err on the side of caution and give it a bit longer-as noted above, response times on partials can vary tremendously, but my own personal rule of thumb is to wait two months on a partial, three on a full (unless the agent's guidelines suggest a nudge earlier or later).

Best of luck!!

CDancourt
04-22-2011, 09:12 PM
Thanks for the advice :) I like the numbers loll... It's better waiting (even if it is killing me) than push and be rejected ;) No news are good news, he...

maestrowork
04-22-2011, 10:21 PM
Unless stated in their guidelines, my rule of thumb is usually three months. Sometimes a "no response" is a "no" but I think if an agent asks for a partial (unlike a query), they should have the courtesy to reply with a rejection, at the very least.

Filigree
04-22-2011, 11:04 PM
I heard back from one agent (A 'not quite', sadly) at one month. Another agent has had the same partial for over 3 months now, but she's really slow and I'm not going to push. Especially since I love my current WIP much more, and I think it's in a different genre than she agents.

dgaughran
04-22-2011, 11:36 PM
I have had a response after a day, and one that I am still waiting on after 1 year and 1 month (and counting). I still mail a status request every so often, just for kicks.