Response times for partials

JanetO

Registered
Reaction score
I know the wait for a response on a partial request varies a lot from agent to agent, but I'm curious to find how long others have waited. No need to name any agents. Though number of pages would be interesting to know. Thanks.

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
I had two partial requests, waited around two weeks for each of them. I've been lucky in my submission luck so far.

CDancourt

Registered
Reaction score
There are some good statistics for that on QueryTracker. You need to register first, though... For what I checked, about 6 to 8 weeks in general, but it really depends I guess.

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
As has been said, the time frame varies all over the place. From one day (not likely) to one week, month, months, even year(s). However, I think it's fair to say that if you don't receive a reply to a requested partial within six months it probably won't happen. Be sure to read the agents guidelines and if a time frame is stated I'd suggest adding 4 weeks to same before you nudge. If no time frame is statedI'd wait 8-10 weeks and then gently nudge.

daisyb

Registered
Reaction score
I had three agents ask for partials from a conference at the end of Jan. Two still haven't responded, although one said if you don't hear back in three weeks, the answer is no. The third agent responded six weeks later with a no.

Sandsurfgirl

Registered
Reaction score
It has varied for me from a week to a couple of months. I have 2 partials out now and both agents said give them 12 weeks to review. It's been like 6.

I do suggest nudging after whatever amount of time they give you. TWICE now I waited the specified time (one of them was 3 months) and the agent never got my email. UGH. One of them reviewed that day because she felt so bad about what happened. Gave me an R but some good feedback.

CDancourt

Registered
Reaction score
One agent requested a partial in march. I sent it with UPS and it's been about one month now. The named agent never told me how long it might be before an answer. Should I nudge or wait a bit longer?

hester

New year, new avatar.
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Kreuse,

I'd err on the side of caution and give it a bit longer-as noted above, response times on partials can vary tremendously, but my own personal rule of thumb is to wait two months on a partial, three on a full (unless the agent's guidelines suggest a nudge earlier or later).

Best of luck!!

CDancourt

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice :) I like the numbers loll... It's better waiting (even if it is killing me) than push and be rejected ;) No news are good news, he...

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Unless stated in their guidelines, my rule of thumb is usually three months. Sometimes a "no response" is a "no" but I think if an agent asks for a partial (unlike a query), they should have the courtesy to reply with a rejection, at the very least.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
I heard back from one agent (A 'not quite', sadly) at one month. Another agent has had the same partial for over 3 months now, but she's really slow and I'm not going to push. Especially since I love my current WIP much more, and I think it's in a different genre than she agents.