kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
That's all kinds of terrifying.

Osiander

Registered
Reaction score
What this is going to do is give readers a reason to become more discerning, more quickly.

One of the problems that will feed into this is that not very much back list has been digitised yet. I've been looking for some non fiction on various subjects and the decent books aren't available in Kindle format, so the only options that come up are self published.

PulpDogg

I should be writing
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah I think this might force Amazon at one point to seriously restructure their whole Kindle Publishing Platform. Lower the royalties, increase the entry barriers, etc pp.

turningpoint

Registered
Reaction score
I guess I am bothered especially by the idea that people are unscrupulous enough to copy and sell other people's work. The true writer could end up unrecognized, unpaid and ignored. Not making a living is one thing, making a living inadvertently for a thief is another.

efkelley

ow
Registered
Reaction score
I think it might be prudent for Amazon et al to require an ISBN. These scammers are relying on single-digit sales with thousands of listings to be profitable at .99c. Tacking on an ISBN invalidates that model, and gives the distributor time to find the violators.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
That's a brilliant idea.

defyalllogic

i'm a girl. (i have tendonitis)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
can I, as a buyer, tell the difference between ebooks with ISBNs and those without to help show that I'm looking at something more legitimate?

(this is upsetting and sadly makes me glad I still never got hip to ebooks even though I really want to)

fireluxlou

Registered
Reaction score
I can spot them a mile off and usually later reviews give this away as a con same as downloading a sample.

efkelley

ow
Registered
Reaction score
can I, as a buyer, tell the difference between ebooks with ISBNs and those without to help show that I'm looking at something more legitimate?

(this is upsetting and sadly makes me glad I still never got hip to ebooks even though I really want to)

Def, they often don't have a sample chapter, and sometimes don't even have a product description. The cover may not even match the genre/title. It might be called 'A Tale of Two Murders' in the Erotica section with a picture of a helicopter.

Also, you can find the ISBN number in the product description. These books will *never* have an ISBN number.

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
Yeah I think this might force Amazon at one point to seriously restructure their whole Kindle Publishing Platform. Lower the royalties, increase the entry barriers, etc pp.

I'd like to think so but I fear that Amazon's not really in it for anything but the money.

Don't forget that while Amazon may sell books and ebooks, it's not *just* a bookstore. That's just part of their huge overall catalog.

And I can just imagine the screaming on the Kindleboards if anyone dared trying to set limits on who can post what under what conditions...

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
efkelley's idea of requiring ISBNs on Kindle books sounds like a good one, but doesn't that raise the price to prospective authors a lot? Or would that be part of slowing down the spammers?

Does this have anything to do with weird search results on alibris? Last time I searched "muppets", a very large number of weird, content-farm-sounding books I'd never heard of with very high prices kept showing up. Or is that totally irrelevant to this?

izanobu

Registered
Reaction score
Website
anniebellet.com
Amazon has already cracked down on people posting out of copyright books without serious annotations or some other addition (and they are vetting formatting on those as well apparently). They did this to stem the flood of people putting up things like the Bible and other pub domain works.

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
There are programmes that you can use to search for plagiarised text. You copy your text into it, and it scours for it. A simple step on amazons side like that would flag up any potential theft issues which would need to be looked into further.

Status
Not open for further replies.