Torturing, destroying a personality, ...

senka

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I need some help in case of this topic and maybe a few of you are somewhat more familiar with psychology (mental disorder, trauma) than I am.

The starting situation: Bad guy kind of enslaves woman. What he wants is obedience, she should do what he tells her, which is mainly criminal acts, including serious crime, for war purposes. (It is somehow comparable with the situation of child soldiers, the victim is around 16 when it starts...)
He does not treat her as human because he thinks she's not worth it, sees her as kind of his pet/tool/machine/whatsoever. He is not sadistic or does have sexual interest in her or anything like that, but he is a brutal person and tends to loose his temper if she makes a misstake or does not as she is told and then he can be very cruel, there definately has to be some torturing.

I have to do with torture victims at work and thus I know a bit about methods and stuff, but I think the situation here is a bit different. Usually, the torturer wants to destroy a person completely. The man in the story wants to dehumanise her and to fear him, but he also wants her to be still able to "work properly". It's of no use for him, for example, if she goes into hysterics because of a sound that remains her on a gun trigger, and things like that which are typical for people who experienced torture. The personality, especially the self-confidence should be destroyed, but not to a point where the victim completely breaks down and only wants to kill herself or something like that.

Do you have some ideas what he'd have to do to get what he wants? Cruel/shocking/gore stuff etc is no problem for me.
Or maybe you could suggest any literature/movies that deal with a similar topic?
Then, further, what do you think would be the complications (only psychological) afterwards? She will escape the situation after some years. How will the victim behave in daily routine, social interaction etc? What psychological damage/trauma would stay on her?
She stays alive over the whole story, so that's a quite important point...

Last edited:

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds a little like Stockholm Syndrome. You might be able to set up a situation similar to that.

senka

Registered
Reaction score
Well, I don't really want her to come to like him, she should fear him, in the first place. He does not really treat her as a human being and spends only as much time with her as it is necessary. He has a wife and kids, also, and behaves like the nice loving father at home (but his wife knows what he's doing, it's a war-like situation and the wife approves his actions)...

(Edit: oh my, that sounds so complicated... sorry ^^)

PinkAmy

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe if you did some research on the guards at Auschwieitz or other concentration camps during the holocaust you might get some examples.

The victim, after escaping, would have PTSD (post traumatic stress disorder). She'd have difficulty with authority, flashbacks, nightmares, anxiety, phobias, trust issues, depression.

Quentin Nokov

King of the Kitties
Registered
Reaction score
This is rather difficult. I suppose one thing he could do is starve her, so in order to get a mouthful of something she has to obey him. Cutting her down verbally would be a way, humiliating her, another. Hm, I think giving him an outer appearance of being tall, buff, and a deep voice might add to the intimidation.

BySharonNelson

(Insert something whitty here)
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bysharonnelson.blogspot.com
I don't know if this will help but I saw a movie once where the guy got the girl to do stuff for him and stay with him by telling her that her family hated her and wanted her dead. He was very abusive toward her but just kept telling her that she was crap and no one wanted her but him. Eventually she came to like worship him and would do anything for him no matter how he treated her.
I suppose it is not that far out of the realm of possibility, there are millions of women out there who stay in horrid situations with really crappy guys because their self confidence is so low they don't expect better.

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
Destroying someone's confidence and self belief is easy: lots of verbal assaults including swearing, blame for everything that goes wrong, nothing done is ever satisfactory, pushed to the edge but you dare not lash out or retaliate because the guy has already demonstrated how much worse the situation can get.

And he should reinforce the notion that she has nowhere else to go because she'do be useless without him. fear, helpnesess, hopelessness, emotionally unstable and pure debilitating hatred blocked by phobia of the unknown is what you might be after. It's all psychological.

If you want more specific details pm me through the forum and ask away.

Last edited:

SinK

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
whatistheretooption.wordpress.com
And he should reinforce the notion that she has nowhere else to go because she'do be useless without him. fear, helpnesess, hopelessness, emotionally unstable and pure debilitating hatred blocked by phobia of the unknown is what you might be after. It's all psychological.

From a psychological stand point forcing her to commit heinous acts will be a torture of its own kind. Once she has committed some act that violates her moral code then guilt plays its part, and nothing destroys confidence in oneself like the feeling of being guilty. If she feels her acts have made the rest of the world a place she no longer can be apart of because of her actions she will bond with the man she sees as sharing in her guilt.

Sleep deprivation and humiliation are also key tools in breaking a person, the first because coherent thought becomes near impossible after 50 straight hours and the second because it lowers the self esteem of the victim and elevates the standing of the torturer in the victims eyes.

For reference you might want to check out 'Gaslight'; the story of a man who sets out to make his neighbour doubt her sanity(hence 'gaslighting'). Not as brutal but some of the principals are the same.

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
Just realized something: the story you've described and that you're writing... I know that villain almost intimately. If you need even more fodder after reading that novelette of a pm, let me know and I can provide plenty of examples and from different perspectives.