Using an Image for a link in Kindle?

Royal Mercury

I think I am, therefore....
Registered
Reaction score
My current work requires a map per chapter. For convenience I have put them all into an appendix at the end. At this point, the book is in HTML form.

At the beginning of each chapter, I have a link to the appropriate map. What I set up was a small image that says "map" with a nice bit of decoration. In other words, like a standard HTML button. It works fine in Calibre and the Calibre reader. But when I try it in the Kindle for PC reader, the buttons don't work. A text based link will work, but it looks so ugly.

I've tried to ask at the KindleDP sight, but when I try to log in, I'm in a bizarre loop that sends me to login, change my avatar name and back to login and back to change my avatar...

Is this problem with using images and links just the Kindle PC reader, Kindle in general or ePublishing in general?

Is there a workaround?

Thanks.

Deleted member 42

I don't think Kindle supports in-image links.

I'll try to go check the spec, but I'm sort on time at the moment.

You can do this in ePub.

RE: KindleDP--try deleting the cookies, quitting your browser and logging in.

Royal Mercury

Registered
Reaction score
I looked at the spec as much as I could, they certainly support links and they support images.

I'm wondering if this is a problem with the Kindle for PC reader. I've noticed that the Calibre viewer seems to have some kind of page boundary problem with some of the links, so that it can't seem to find one chapter heading, but when I open the book made by Calibre, in the Kindle for PC, it goes to the right place, so I know it's a bug in the reader not in the compiler. But then again, the image-links work when I read the Mobi file in the Calibre viewer.

Thanks for your help. I contacted Kindle and they said it was a known bug and gave me the same advice you did. So I put my question on the Kindle site and we'll see what they say.

Last edited:

Royal Mercury

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for your help. I contacted Kindle and they said it was a known bug and gave me the same advice you did. So I put my question on the Kindle site and we'll see what they say.

Well, so far, no coherent response on the Kindle site. Someone telling me that Word supported it, and another postulating that it would cause a blue line to be put around any other text in the paragraph. I guess the only way to know is to find a real Kindle to put it in.