PDA

View Full Version : Why Haven't You Been Writing?

poetinahat
04-12-2011, 04:13 AM
Um, well, my early work was so dense, and now I'm writing all the space around it.

What's your excuse?

L.J.
04-12-2011, 04:16 AM
I made the mistake of re-reading what I'd written and lost my confidence, and my momentum.

scarletpeaches
04-12-2011, 04:25 AM
Because poetinahat got a restraining order and there just don't seem no point to writing much love poetry no mo'. :cry:

Silver King
04-12-2011, 04:27 AM
I'm lazy, and writing is pretty far down on my list of pleasurable things to do.

C.H. Valentino
04-12-2011, 04:27 AM
I whored myself out as a beta for the first 50 pages of anything that wasn't YA.

sheadakota
04-12-2011, 04:50 AM
I hazz headache:e2hammer:

JoNightshade
04-12-2011, 04:52 AM
Work.

Also, my kid is 15 months old and I'm still suffering the ridiculous memory frazzlement that started when I was pregnant. Do I ever get to regain my sanity?

Caitlin Black
04-12-2011, 04:55 AM
I've got to go out soon, so I've decided to not start writing my mammoth scene that will probably take a solid hour just to get through. Maybe more if my characters are being difficult. (Yes, Selena, I'm looking at you!)

aadams73
04-12-2011, 04:57 AM
I used up all the good words in the dictionary. Also, my finger hurts when I do this.

(I had a really cool and awesome excuse prepared but my dog ate it.)

Darkom
04-12-2011, 05:59 AM
Too much running. Far too much.

enigmahfc
04-12-2011, 06:07 AM
I lost my confidence, and I'm at work.

SinisterCola
04-12-2011, 06:21 AM
Gotta rest up for work.

benbradley
04-12-2011, 06:47 AM
Not writing? Why, just last night I added a new chapter to my NaNoWriMo novel from, I think it was 2008.

Of course, that's the first thing I wrote in at least two weeks. Not counting the 2k blogpost I write eight days ago.

Hmm, I'm actually quite the prolific writer...ahem.

JayMan
04-12-2011, 07:08 AM
Taxes, being busy at work, trying to find a new job, and being pestered by calls from family members about various things.

Why must life get in the way?!

heyjude
04-12-2011, 02:46 PM
I am writing! It's the internets'ss's fault. Shiny, shiny internet. And the phone calls asking me to do stuff. And email! Fluffy, fluffy email. Shut up. I am writing.

KTC
04-12-2011, 03:41 PM
Personal trauma

Wayne K
04-12-2011, 03:50 PM
I don't wanna

Adam
04-12-2011, 03:56 PM
Too much to do prior to my flight on Friday. Will try and get some in later though. Honest! :)

Selah March
04-12-2011, 04:08 PM
The onset of daylight savings time screwed with my circadian rhythm and I'm still recovering? Yeah, that's the ticket.

rhymegirl
04-12-2011, 04:45 PM
How do you know I'm not writing?

Ol' Fashioned Girl
04-12-2011, 05:20 PM
My agent has three - yes 'three'! - to sell. When she sells one (notice I said 'when', not 'if'. I still haz a hope.), I'll pick up where I left off on the fourth one.

So there.

Tepelus
04-12-2011, 08:16 PM
It's spring, and my mind has gone into obsessive gardening mode. Poor novel, it may get looked at a time or two, but for the next several months it will be lonely.

bettielee
04-12-2011, 09:27 PM
I suck. :(

Yeshanu
04-12-2011, 09:30 PM
This. (http://www.ea.com/the-sims-medieval) :D

whimsical rabbit
04-12-2011, 09:40 PM
I'm too busy procrastinating at the moment. First things first. There needs to be some hierarchy in the order of things, no?

lndsymllr
04-12-2011, 09:50 PM
I'm currently writing this response out..that counts as writing...right? http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/icons/icon10.gif

Mom'sWrite
04-12-2011, 09:59 PM
Also, my kid is 15 months old and I'm still suffering the ridiculous memory frazzlement that started when I was pregnant. Do I ever get to regain my sanity?

no.

regdog
04-12-2011, 10:14 PM
I suck. :(

You do not!!!!!!! You've just been pacing yourself by diversifying your talents with needlepoint and cross stitch.

benbradley
04-12-2011, 10:58 PM
Actually I'm supposed to be writing code.

Alan Yee
04-12-2011, 11:01 PM
Because I'm probably not cut out to be a real writer. I do write off and on, but clearly I'm not a real writer if I can't force myself to do it even when I don't want to. College and the energy drain from that is a big problem, but there are college students my age who nonetheless are able to write. I just can't get myself to do it on anywhere near a daily basis.

BenPanced
04-12-2011, 11:06 PM
Because I was at RTCon all last week and I need to get back up to speed.

Mom'sWrite
04-12-2011, 11:09 PM
Actually I'm supposed to be writing code.
^ This. Me too. Words are so much more fun.

BeatrixKiddo
04-13-2011, 01:14 AM
I'm so tired by the time I get home from work and I'm on a computer all day. My eyes are fried by 5pm.

I also "write" a lot of the story in my head. I keep getting it together little by little and eventually, I will actually put more of it down on paper.

It just takes me a long time to get to that point. I'm also obsessive about my grammar and that stilts me sometimes.

I suppose true writers write regularly. But I find myself reading right now instead.

benbradley
04-13-2011, 01:21 AM

I suppose true writers write regularly.
So is this the "False Writers" thread? :)

Uncarved
04-13-2011, 01:25 AM
I'm ebbing and flowing in my manuscripts. In so much as there is a lack of a deadline right now, there is no push for me. So I have sporadic intense writing sessions followed by intense non-writing sessions. I'm in the mood today that I've got the manuscript up in the background, you know just in case I wanna work on it, but haven't.
I'm slacking.

kayleamay
04-13-2011, 01:34 AM
Because I reduced my work hours so I'd have more time to write but instead of writing I ended up homeschooling my son. Also, my husband remembered my name and got some wild notion that he likes spending time with me, so I suppose I'm obliged to dawdle there for a bit. And of course, there was that week that I spent reading my WIPs and groaning in disgust. That was disconcerting. And finally, there's the fact that my mind fell into a plothole.

Yeah, that's pretty much it. Well, that's most of it anyway. Nah, there's more.

fireluxlou
04-13-2011, 01:37 AM
I've developed a cold and reading had taken over my writing duties.

benbradley
04-13-2011, 02:11 AM
I'll get back to writing once I'm through
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i274/yetanotherboardie/piano_rebuild.jpg
rebuilding this piano.

Uncarved
04-13-2011, 02:15 AM
I'm not writing because Ben stole my piano.

Alessandra Kelley
04-13-2011, 02:27 AM
I am not a writer.

sf.writer.mdk
04-13-2011, 04:46 AM
been more depressed than usual this week. not motivated

Caitlin Black
04-13-2011, 10:36 AM
Waiting for sis to come round. I'd prefer to write in a solid block of about 2 hours, instead of getting sidetracked. So I'm waiting for a while longer.

Also, the next scene in my script is going to be massive, so I'm kind of steeling my nerves for the big push.

It's the scene that made me want to write this movie - I can picture a lot of it in my head - but I want it to be as perfect as possible, because, like I said, it's the scene that made me want to write this movie. If it winds up sucking, then that doesn't bode well for the rest of the movie, y'know?

Ol' Fashioned Girl
04-13-2011, 04:43 PM
I'll get back to writing once I'm through
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i274/yetanotherboardie/piano_rebuild.jpg
rebuilding this piano.

What memories that brings back to me! My dad was a refinisher and we had pianos all over the place when I was a kid. When I was about 8-10, he used to pay me a whole dollar to remove the screws from the piano hinges. I sat with him for hours in the garage of our old place, learning how to take apart, refinish, and rebuild pianos. I haven't used the piano part since then, but the refinishing part has saved me thousands and thousands of dollars.

bluntforcetrauma
04-13-2011, 05:08 PM
Been trying to regain my health from a heart attack in January.

JoeEkaitis
04-13-2011, 07:49 PM
Don't want to go through all that work only to hear "We refuse to consider your book for circulation because it wasn't reviewed in ALA Booklist" again.

Snitchcat
04-13-2011, 08:39 PM
No real paying job for a year; betrayed by someone I thought was a good friend; cousin died; more betrayal by so called friends; stressed out that I might have had to give up my cat's (my lifeline and life savers); repeated detrimental pressure from the family to get a "real" job and give up freelancing (which I love); diagnosed with depression; boyfriend soon to be fiance died; and the real kicker was from several years ago where one relative said: "you'll never be famous", meaning you'll never succeed at getting published on your own, I'd always have to rely on someone to help me complete a first draft of anything that I would ever write.

There is a happy ending of sorts: I got published and I'm back to writing, albeit irregularly. But I'm slowly returning to the writing, gradually rediscovering what I love about it.

.P.S this was meant to be an amusing thread wasn't it?

BardSkye
04-14-2011, 12:30 AM
My third MC still won't talk to me and the other two refuse to go on without him.

benbradley
04-14-2011, 02:15 AM
Been trying to regain my health from a heart attack in January.
Dude! I haven't seen you post in what seems like years! Obviously I've missed a few posts.

OFG, if you wanna refinish this one, come on over - it's a great way to avoid, you know, the W thing...

mscelina
04-14-2011, 02:17 AM
Because I can only sit up for about ten minutes at a time at the moment.

COchick
04-14-2011, 02:19 AM
Because I'm trying to write a research paper. And the internet keeps sucking me in.

bluntforcetrauma
04-14-2011, 03:51 AM
Dude! I haven't seen you post in what seems like years! Obviously I've missed a few posts.

OFG, if you wanna refinish this one, come on over - it's a great way to avoid, you know, the W thing...

Three years ago I was divorced. Lost my mind. Lost everything. I was sent packing on foot with a sleeve of crackers, a bottle of water and little else. Attempted suicide. Became alcoholic. Lived in a rooming house filled with Meth addicts, prostitutes and other ruffians. Moved into the bell tower on the fourth floor of a church originally pastored by the guy who wrote the lyric to bringing the sheaves. Finally pulled myself together in time to have a heart attack. Those days wrreone endless nightmare. Things are much better now. Vastly better.

rhymegirl
04-14-2011, 04:36 AM
I just finished writing, thank you very much. (turned in an article to my boss)

So at the moment, I'm not writing.

DragonHeart
04-14-2011, 03:58 PM
I've been doing plenty of writing...only it's all for school. /sigh. Finals are coming up soon. I don't expect I'll have time to do much else besides school and work until the semester ends. And when I do have a bit of time, I'm usually trying desperately to catch up on my reading cause I need the escape.

annabelle07
04-14-2011, 04:26 PM
Every time I sit down to write, my 'Oh-so-brilliant' ideas suddenly seem 'oh-so-lame'! sigh.....

bluntforcetrauma
04-14-2011, 07:47 PM
Every time I sit down to write, my 'Oh-so-brilliant' ideas suddenly seem 'oh-so-lame'! sigh.....

Welcome to the club. Most ideas sound lame. You just plant that mystery seed, fertilize, water and let it grow. The secret is using a different fertilizer and planting it in unknown soil. Sometimes the results are pretty good.

Storyteller5
04-14-2011, 07:59 PM
Laziness. Procrastination.
And now that I've outed myself, I'm going to go write now!

ETA: Thanks. I've got 300 words. It's slow going, but it is a start for today.

wistfullylinda
04-21-2011, 12:02 PM
I'm still in the brainstorming/outlining phase... (plus I think I might be scared of actually writing)

Caitlin Black
04-21-2011, 12:09 PM
I know what that's like...

When I first thought it'd be a great idea to write a book, I brainstormed and outlined for about 6 months, but never wrote a single word of actual fiction. Then later, my computer died and, because I hadn't backed up that massive outline (for an 8-book series, as it happens) I lost it all.

The upside is that after my computer was fixed, I decided to just jump right into writing something completely brand new. So I started another series, with one of the same characters.

Then I realised I could turn that original 8-book idea into a single awesome book later in the series I'd actually started writing. So there is an upside. :)

So I totally get the whole "I might be afraid to start actually writing" thing. I was like that for 6 months.

Also - back up your work! I can't begin to tell you how much I'd love to be able to see all the nuances of that 8-book series again, laid out in a nice neat outline. I was in a very creative place when I came up with that. I'm sure I lost a few really great things that will never come back to me...

Ambrosia
04-21-2011, 03:55 PM
Life.

Snowstorm
04-21-2011, 06:04 PM
Too brain-dead from work and stress. I pull up my novel and want to think about tweaking the first chapter, but I'm afraid to mess up what's there because I'm not clear-headed enough.

Alpha Echo
04-21-2011, 06:19 PM
Wow...I'm so glad I'm not the only one. Let's see...pick one of the following:

a. Work's been busy and stressful and exhausting.
b. The weekends have been busy with family stuff.
c. I lost confidence when something I thought was good was beta'd.
d. All of the above.

If you chose d you are correct!

writerterri
04-21-2011, 06:33 PM
I've been crafting and sick. But that doesn't mean I haven't gotten out a couple of mss and penciled in some stuff. I did submitt a couple of stories though.

I do feel like writing some now that you've mentioned it.

I think I will get those mss back out and at least start to put them on my new msword program.

Cranky
04-21-2011, 07:53 PM
Because I'm stuck. Not writer's block, no. More like I'm stuck on a plateau. I can see what I'm doing wrong, but can't figure out how to fix it and get better. It's really irritating to look at something I've written, be able to pinpoint exactly where or how something's gone off the rails, but not know how to address it.

So I simply don't. I'd say I've quit, but I know better. Sooner or later, I'll have to write something, no matter how horrible and misshapen it is. In the meantime, I'm reading a lot, watching some good tv, and went back to work. Distractions help.

The fact that I'm anxiously awaiting a couple of rejections probably doesn't help, heh.

Xaenyth
04-21-2011, 08:04 PM
This forum is too addicting to walk away from.

LaurieD
04-21-2011, 08:14 PM
Stupid secondary character insisted he had to be an MC so I gave him a chapter and now he's mucked up the ending I had in mind. I can still make the ending work with a little tweaking, but then I still have this gaping space in between where the story is and where it ends.

Stupid secondary character diva so-and-so...

Alpha Echo
04-21-2011, 09:33 PM
Because I'm stuck. Not writer's block, no. More like I'm stuck on a plateau. I can see what I'm doing wrong, but can't figure out how to fix it and get better. It's really irritating to look at something I've written, be able to pinpoint exactly where or how something's gone off the rails, but not know how to address it.

So I simply don't. I'd say I've quit, but I know better. Sooner or later, I'll have to write something, no matter how horrible and misshapen it is. In the meantime, I'm reading a lot, watching some good tv,

Yeah. This too for me. :(

whacko
04-21-2011, 09:47 PM
Three years ago I was divorced. Lost my mind. Lost everything. I was sent packing on foot with a sleeve of crackers, a bottle of water and little else. Attempted suicide. Became alcoholic. Lived in a rooming house filled with Meth addicts, prostitutes and other ruffians. Moved into the bell tower on the fourth floor of a church originally pastored by the guy who wrote the lyric to bringing the sheaves. Finally pulled myself together in time to have a heart attack. Those days wrreone endless nightmare. Things are much better now. Vastly better.

Apart from that, how're you doing?:D

Zelenka
04-21-2011, 10:33 PM
Right now, because I'm stupid and forgot that I didn't copy my MS to my flash drive, which I have at work, and it's only on the netbook, which is at home. So so much for my plan of using a slack evening at work to get some writing done. Before today, being on holiday in Canada and being a geek at a convention with a load of other really fun geeks and basically being too tired to even open the netbook let alone write.

Stew21
04-21-2011, 10:39 PM
a couple of big rejection lumps from full request subs and a stack of edits that seemed to be bigger than me on the next ms. I got mopey and needed a break. so I took it.

Alessandra Kelley
04-21-2011, 11:16 PM
I am still not a writer.

Caitlin Black
04-22-2011, 04:01 AM
My dog ate my work ethic.

DavidBrett
04-22-2011, 06:10 AM
Reading up on all things steam-powered and Victorian whilst mentally planning out my children's steampunk novel. Gone start on it over the weekend, though.

darrtwish
04-22-2011, 06:55 AM
University ate my life, including my laptop and my novel.

JayMan
04-22-2011, 07:02 AM
Trying to secure a job after my current gig is over, my landlord's being annoying and trying to go back on our agreement, have to get my car looked at, and my insomnia's decided to hit me full stride and leave me feeling exhausted during the day, not to mention Springtime allergies...

milly
04-22-2011, 07:12 AM
I took the month of April to read...and read only to re-charge my writing self

:)

benbradley
04-22-2011, 07:22 AM
I've been surfing.

GailD
04-22-2011, 04:33 PM
I found out, thanks to the kind people at AW, that at 194,000 words, my first novel is too long. So I'm cutting and cutting and cutting and....

Not much writing happening.

Eudoxia
04-24-2011, 12:07 PM
I couldn't think of what would come up next in my story and thus I went into a serious stage of writer's block until I had amnesia and forgotten that I ever wrote a story to begin with. It wasn't until three days ago that I finally remembered I had a story (memories enjoy popping up into my head at random times).

Caitlin Black
04-24-2011, 01:07 PM
Because I don't feel like it right now.

I'd rather read. (Buying 5 books yesterday at a huge discount book sale didn't help...)

Nakhlasmoke
04-24-2011, 01:13 PM
just finished the first (skeletal) draft and made the mistake of reading the first pages.

Yeah, i really need to take a course in pacing a novel.

Caitlin Black
04-24-2011, 01:16 PM
For what it's worth, writing this script this month has taught me how to eyeball pacing issues, hopefully in regard to novels and not just scripts.

Maybe write a 5-10 minute short script to practice your pacing?

Nakhlasmoke
04-24-2011, 01:31 PM
I honestly wouldn't even know where to begin - I know NOTHING about script writing.

So far the consensus seems to be that in order to slow down pacing, I need to add more detail and use longer sentences.

*considers*

annabelle07
06-03-2011, 04:42 PM
Welcome to the club. Most ideas sound lame. You just plant that mystery seed, fertilize, water and let it grow. The secret is using a different fertilizer and planting it in unknown soil. Sometimes the results are pretty good.

Yea...I guess...still haven't managed to get the right fertilizer though...:cry:

Anne Lyle
06-03-2011, 04:57 PM
Because I'm lazy. And slightly daunted by having to rewrite this damned book from scratch in under 8 months *wibble*

Undercover
06-03-2011, 05:05 PM
I forgot what my book was about...

benbradley
06-03-2011, 11:44 PM
Writing? THAT's what I'm supposed to be doing???

Uncarved
06-03-2011, 11:52 PM
I've been too busy distracting benbradley to be writing.
Now that you've all TOLD him that's what he was suppose to be doing, now I guess I've no reason not to be writing myself.

*The above is complete tosh, or not, you decide.