PDA

View Full Version : I can't think of a title to save my life...

mtn_chick
10-24-2005, 06:26 AM
Hi all,

A relative newbie here - I've been browsing the forum for awhile, but forgot my old "handle." Doh!

Anyways, I'm submitting a "Creative Nonfiction" piece for a national contest and the one thing I just suck at is figuring out a good title!! Any suggestions on how to find something appropriate? Or do you have any tips on how to come up with titles in general?

It's basically a personal essay type thing where I'm talking about my life in the north and the crazy things that seem to happen on a daily basis around here, being involved with sled dogs and rural living. I'm approaching it from the humour angle, and people seem to like this stuff, so I thought "why the heck not??"

Anyways, any info you have to share on finding the ever-elusive title is appreciated! :)

Unique
10-24-2005, 06:32 AM
I like making up titles. Is it in SYW? Or send it to me in the email in my profile. I'll see if I can't come up with something to get the gears humming.

paprikapink
10-24-2005, 07:23 AM
You're in good hands, M-girl. I saw the thread on the main index, and I saw that Unique had responded, and I thought, "Well, that problem's solved."

Storyteller5
10-24-2005, 08:21 AM
I like naming as well. I like to pick an element in the story and work from there. Something that may help to give you an idea is to look at other books and see how they got their titles. For example, in the book Silence of the Lambs, the title was taken from a comment that Lector makes to Clarice. I hope you get it figured out. :)

mtn_chick
10-24-2005, 10:00 AM
Thanks for the responses. No, it's not in SYW, I'm still frantically working on it. I'd be more than happy to send you what I've got Unique and get your ideas! Thanks for that. Email on it's way...