19th Century Spanish Curse Words (WARNING ADULT CONTENT)

dgaughran

Banned
Reaction score
Website
davidgaughran.wordpress.com
(WARNING ADULT CONTENT)

Hi all,

This is a pretty specific request, but let's throw it out there and see what happens. There is a Spanish expletive in my MS which is bothering me; I'm not sure if I got it right.

I don't need to go into the details of the situation, but let's just say an army commander is pretty pissed off, he has caught one of his generals (his subordinate, to be clear) sneaking off the field of battle on the morning that will decide his long-fought campaign.

Location: Chile, circa 1819. The Army commander is from Argentina, but lived in Spain from the age of seven.

The conversation is recorded in history, but the expletive is censored. All I know is, the army commander said, "You, sir, are a ________." My MS is in English, but I slip a few words of Spanish in here and there, for flavour. In my MS, I went for coño. But I am a little worried this might be too modern.

Does it work? Any alternatives?

Dave

SaraP

You can't forget those you've loved
Registered
Reaction score
Moving this over to the International District so you'll up the chances folks will see this.

:)

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com

dgaughran

Banned
Reaction score
Website
davidgaughran.wordpress.com
Coño means "cunt" and is used as an expletive rather than a direct insult. You yell coño when you hit your little toe against a piece of furniture.

You could go with the usual and just call him a bastardo.

If you can read Spanish, you should check out:
http://www.robertexto.com/archivo17/insultos_m.htm
http://www.robertexto.com/archivo17/insultos_d_e_f.htm

Which is a list of old insults and their meanings. If you can't, gimme a yell and I'll look through them for you.

Thanks DamaNegra, my Spanish isn't great, but there is some funny stuff there from the bits I can understand.

Do you know what would be the absolute worst insult you could throw at someone that would have been used in 19th century Spanish?

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
Well, according to this, "fementido" used to be a pretty strong insult, but to my ears it sounds funny (but then again, I'm too young to have lived in the 19th century :p )

Fodidencul also sounds hilarious, and it means "someone who has been willingly sodomized". Sounds strong enough to me but I don't know if it would be understandable today (I certainly wouldn't), or if it's even from the time period. But it sounds offensive enough :D

Prawn

Writing is finite,revising infinite
Registered
Reaction score
Only if you are fodidenculator.