PDA

View Full Version : Can Kindles fly?

sheadakota
04-10-2011, 06:57 PM
I don't mean that literally:)

I don't fly often but I am this summer and I was wondering- can I take my kindle on the plane with me? Will the x-rays wipe my library?
Shea- who knows nothing about flying-

alleycat
04-10-2011, 07:02 PM
Yes, you can take it on a plane. It's treated like any other electronic device; you have to turn it off during takeoff and landing.

thothguard51
04-10-2011, 07:04 PM
According to the commercials you can. It's no different than a lap top or camera. Its not exrays one has to worry about but electro magnetic scanning that can wipe out a hard drive...

Or so I have been told.

sheadakota
04-10-2011, 07:07 PM
Good to know! Thanks- ( I told my husband you guys would know- and he thinks I waste my time here- phfftt!)

Grrarrgh
04-10-2011, 07:42 PM
I've taken mine on several flights. I have to take a paper book or 2 with me for takeoff and landing, but once you're in the air, the Kindle is fine.

alleycat
04-10-2011, 07:48 PM
I've taken mine on several flights. I have to take a paper book or 2 with me for takeoff and landing, but once you're in the air, the Kindle is fine.
I'm surprised the airlines haven't found some reason for us not to be able to read books during takeoff and landing (or maybe to charge us for each book we bring on board). For our safety, of course.

Medievalist
04-10-2011, 08:07 PM
I'm surprised the airlines haven't found some reason for us not to be able to read books during takeoff and landing (or maybe to charge us for each book we bring on board). For our safety, of course.

Alleycat, hush.

DSH and TSA are watching.

:chair

maestrowork
04-10-2011, 08:21 PM
In general, airport x-rays don't wipe out any electronics or memories. I've taken anything from laptops (PCs and Macs), Kindle, iPad, iPhone, etc. and they're all fine. They also don't wipe out digital cameras or even 35mm films unless they are of high ISO (such as 400 or 800).