Status
Not open for further replies.

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
I'm not sure if this is the right place for this thread, but figure I'd give it a try.

Other than Amazon and B&N, where do you buy the ebooks you read? Which are the best sites you know for buying ebooks? Any recommendations?

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Fictionwise is popular. I have bought from AllRomance/Omnilit.

DreamWeaver

Shakespearean Fool
Registered
Reaction score
I've bought from Borders and the Sony Reader store.

serabeara

Very Necessary
Registered
Reaction score
I love Fictionwise. They often have great coupons to use, think around the holidays I got a bunch of ebooks at 50% off.

I own a Nook Color so I also just shop straight from that sometimes too, at the nook store if I want to make an impulse buy.

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
I go straight to the publisher website. Why? Because the author receives a higher percentage of royalties from that sale--usually double. I figure if I like a book well enough to purchase, I can take the extra step to go to the publisher's web site and purchase there instead of making Amazon richer.

Reaction score
Direct from the publisher, except, unusually given that I'm one of their authors, in the case of Loose Id. This is because I have no credit cards, and LI don't accept PayPal. Therefore, I have to wait two months for the new releases to go third party, so I can buy them from a site which accepts PayPal (AllRomance).

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
Direct from the publisher, except, unusually given that I'm one of their authors, in the case of Loose Id. This is because I have no credit cards, and LI don't accept PayPal. Therefore, I have to wait two months for the new releases to go third party, so I can buy them from a site which accepts PayPal (AllRomance).

On a side note, how does PayPal work without a credit card? I didn't know that was possible. I'm very intersted.

Reaction score
You set up a PayPal account, link it to the one at your bank (I have a debit card for the cash machines, so used that) and you're set.

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
And, to add to my own discussion, I usually buy ebooks at http://kobobooks.com/ . Their selection is not that great, but I've had generally good experiences with them.

I hate B&N for not selling books outside US territory :(

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I usually buy from Amazon(I have a Kindle), but AllRomance is my second fav site for e books.

Adam

Not dead.
Registered
Reaction score
Mostly Amazon, but also Fictionwise, Omnilit, and a few publisher sites.

cameron_chapman

Makes Things Up
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cameronchapman.com
So far I've bought exclusively from Amazon and Barnes & Noble. The simple reason being that it's easy. I can grab my (rooted) Nook Color, browse either the Nook app or the Kindle app, download a sample, read it and, if I like it, purchase and download the book, and continue reading in less than thirty seconds. Buying from any other site, I'd have to set up a new account, and then to get the books onto my Nook I'd have to actually hook it up to my MacBook and transfer them. It's too much hassle if the books are available at Amazon or BN. I have yet to find a book I want to read that isn't available at one of those two outlets (not saying they're not out there, just that I haven't found them yet).

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
I don't have an e-reader, so my e-book buying is limited to e-only books. Generally, that means I'm able to purchase directly from the publisher. Occasionally I have to go through Allromance, but not often.

san_remo_ave

Back at it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elainegolden.com
In order of usage: Amazon, B&N, Fictionwise. I've purchased from Sony ereader store a few times but it was a PITA not being able to purchase thru a web browser. Occasionally AllRomance and on a few occasions the publisher's bookstore of Harlequin, Siren Bookstrand & Elloras Cave.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
The only e-books I buy are nonfiction, usually textbook type material, but I get these straight from the publisher whenever possible.

DreamWeaver

Shakespearean Fool
Registered
Reaction score
I've purchased from Sony ereader store a few times but it was a PITA not being able to purchase thru a web browser.
Not following...??? I always purchase through my web browser from the Sony store.

san_remo_ave

Back at it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elainegolden.com
Not following...??? I always purchase through my web browser from the Sony store.

Not quite. ebookstore.sony.com requires you to download their reader software in order to be able to download, and then you have to go to the webpage through their reader software. I cannot just hit buy straight from my browser. Do not like.

DreamWeaver

Shakespearean Fool
Registered
Reaction score
OK, I see that. Now that I think harder, I realize I open my library application to go to the store.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I confess to being an Amazon addict, but whenever possible I do buy direct from the publisher and just upload it on my Kindle.

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score
I used to buy from Borders, but I gave up on them -- their web store and interface sucks, and since Kobo powers their store anyway, everything for sale at Borders is already at Kobo (and usually faster).

I've also bought from the Sony reader store, but likewise don't like that you have to open their app to buy books.

Other than that, Bookviewcafe, Fictionwise, Websubscriptions (Baen) or direct from the publisher.

Status
Not open for further replies.