Let the Right One In

deana

Greetings Programs!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.zhollis.com
If you have time to watch a different type of vampire movie, this is definitely worth a watch. It's a Swedish film with a different type of relationship between a vampire and a human.

I don't want to say a "girl vampire" or "kid vampire" because that kind of gives it the wrong impression. It's more like two lost people who come together. It's a drama movie, that's for sure, and not really a horror film.

There's also a 2010 American version titled: Let Me In, but I like the Swedish film better. The American version sort of just expands on what the Swedish film didn't explicitly say.

So if you have time, take a look.

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
If you have time to watch a different type of vampire movie, this is definitely worth a watch. It's a Swedish film with a different type of relationship between a vampire and a human.

I don't want to say a "girl vampire" or "kid vampire" because that kind of gives it the wrong impression. It's more like two lost people who come together. It's a drama movie, that's for sure, and not really a horror film.

There's also a 2010 American version titled: Let Me In, but I like the Swedish film better. The American version sort of just expands on what the Swedish film didn't explicitly say.

So if you have time, take a look.

And adapted from the novel of the same title. ;)

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score

If you are referring to what I think you are, it actually had a completely different interpretation of that relationship. The American version is much darker.

Curfew Gull

Feeding my Muse
Registered
Reaction score
I don't usually like vampire stories ... but started watching this one (the Swedish one) late at night, and couldn't stop. Then I had to take the garbage out, involving going out under the branches of tall pine trees ... never been so scared in my life!

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
If you are referring to what I think you are, it actually had a completely different interpretation of that relationship. The American version is much darker.

I have not seen the original yet, but I agree. The American version is dark, and the relationship is more sinister than what meets the eye. I felt really bad for the little boy at the end... It's actually a tragic story for the boy.

shelleyo

Just another face in a red jumpsuit
Registered
Reaction score
It's Swedish. I haven't seen the American version, but it sounds like a shame that they shifted the ending.

I don't want to spoil anyone on the Swedish film, so I'll just say this: I thought one of the most fascinating things about it is that you come away, rightfully so, wondering who the real monsters are--humans or the vampire--and I'm sure that's deliberate. It's done with a deft hand. The parts I found hardest to watch had nothing to do with the supernatural.

People who prefer shock horror, or jump-in-your-seat stuff might get bored, but I loved it. I haven't read the book, but my Finnish friend (who is half-Swedish, and read the book in Swedish before it hit here) says that the vampire's background is given in much more detail, which explains a lot of things left unsaid (though not detrimentally so) in the film. She thought the book was wonderful, and the film did it justice.

Shelley

amrose

is Envy Augustine
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I felt really bad for the little boy at the end... It's actually a tragic story for the boy.

It is, but he's happy...I get so conflicted about that.

I've seen both versions and I like both equally for different reasons. I felt more of an emotional connection to the boy in the American version (felt we got more of a range from him) but in the original, Oscar seemed like more of s growing sociopath to me.

I also thought the vampire's first servant had a meatier role in the American version.

deana

Greetings Programs!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.zhollis.com
I don't usually like vampire stories ... but started watching this one (the Swedish one) late at night, and couldn't stop. Then I had to take the garbage out, involving going out under the branches of tall pine trees ... never been so scared in my life!

LOL!! Trees! Up, better keep looking UP after this movie!

deana

Greetings Programs!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.zhollis.com
!!SPOILER!! I really didn't know if the vampire was "using" these boys or really had feelings for each and every relationship. I'm unsure.... But it's her nature to survive and to find her next "caretaker" once one begins to show weariness of the entire life.

Then the comment that she was twelve but she's been twelve a very long time...so even mentally she never grows up? That's a different concept....

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
SPOILER

!!SPOILER!! I really didn't know if the vampire was "using" these boys or really had feelings for each and every relationship. I'm unsure.... But it's her nature to survive and to find her next "caretaker" once one begins to show weariness of the entire life.

Then the comment that she was twelve but she's been twelve a very long time...so even mentally she never grows up? That's a different concept....

Again, I've only see the American version. I think the "father" is an important figure because we're actually seeing the boy's future. And when the father said, "You leave that boy alone" it's very telling. At first we thought he was jealous or protective, but at the end we realize he was protective, but of the boy. He knew what was going to happen to the boy.

The boy at the end may be happy, but we already see his future in the father figure. He is anything but happy. But he's devoted to the vampire, or does he have a choice? (He actually said it, "Do I have a choice"?) I think the emotions between the vampire and the boy are complex, but the fact is, we already see what will happen to him, and thus I feel really sorry....

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
SPOILERS

In the book, she met her previous servant when he was already a middle-aged pedophile, so she didn't really feel much connection to him other than the fact that he was willing and capable of taking care of her and helping her. The fact that this isn't clear in the movies, however, I think is pretty good, though, since it allows more alternate interpretations of his character.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
It's Swedish. I haven't seen the American version, but it sounds like a shame that they shifted the ending.

Neither the American nor the Swedish version changed very much from the novel. They only chose slightly different parts to elaborate on or leave out, which, IMO, is a good thing. They're both adaptations, so and neither butchers or changes a lot from the source material, so I think both can be enjoyed on their own terms.

I don't want to spoil anyone on the Swedish film, so I'll just say this: I thought one of the most fascinating things about it is that you come away, rightfully so, wondering who the real monsters are--humans or the vampire--and I'm sure that's deliberate. It's done with a deft hand. The parts I found hardest to watch had nothing to do with the supernatural.

Yes, I love stories like this. My current favorite vampire story is a series called Shiki that is absolutely ruthless about leaving you utterly conflicted between whether you want to root for the humans or the vampires.

muravyets

Old revolutionary
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I found this movie (the Swedish one) by browsing through Netflix. I love it. One of my new favorites. I didn't even know there was an American version. I'll have to find it.

shelleyo

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I love stories like this. My current favorite vampire story is a series called Shiki that is absolutely ruthless about leaving you utterly conflicted between whether you want to root for the humans or the vampires.

I also love stories that leave you conflicted about how you should feel and whom you should be hoping for. I'll have to look into Shiki. It sounds right up my alley. Thanks!

Shelley

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score

In the Swedish film, I believe the director said definitively that she did have feelins for the boy, but was using her adult caretaker. In the American version, it seems more that she is using both of them. There is the photo of her with the adult male as a child, which seems to imply that he started out in a similar position as the boy. In the novel, and the Swedish film, the first blood gatherer was a pedophile who was manipulated by her.

This is why I find the American version much darker, and the ending more sinister.

shelleyo

Registered
Reaction score
SPOILERS
SPOILERS

In the Swedish film, I believe the director said definitively that she did have feelins for the boy, but was using her adult caretaker. In the American version, it seems more that she is using both of them. There is the photo of her with the adult male as a child, which seems to imply that he started out in a similar position as the boy. In the novel, and the Swedish film, the first blood gatherer was a pedophile who was manipulated by her.

This is why I find the American version much darker, and the ending more sinister.

I came away from the original with a sense of hope, even though he's now run away with the vampire. I never for a moment thought Eli was using Oskar. I think they went to too much trouble to show what Eli would go through for him (going into his home without an invitation because he was curious and going through that, eating candy that would cause sickness, etc.) and how Eli would look at him when asking questions, how he reacted when Oskar wanted to go steady. I felt Eli genuinely cared for him and considered him a friend. I also assumed that Eli was used to using child molesters because who could take better care of a child than a grown person?

I don't want to see the American version, frankly.

Shelley

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
SPOILERS

Exactly... In the American version Richard Jenkins' character is the exact copy of the boy, except much older now, and he's miserable. The vampire uses him, and now he's useless, the vampire has her sight on another boy. Now, it doesn't mean they don't have feelings for each other -- the scene at the hospital is clear that they do, but the entire thing is way darker than if the "father" was just a pedophile manipulated by the vampire.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
SPOILERS
SPOILERS

I don't want to see the American version, frankly.

Shelley

I think you should, just to see another interpretation. Like Celia and I said, it's darker and sinister because they changed something about the father and the boy. They still hinted at the boy being a potential sociopath, but definitely there's a sinister aspect of their relationship. Plus the climax of the film is very dark and twisted, and is clear that the vampire was manipulating the boy.

shelleyo

Registered
Reaction score
I may yet see it, just because I'm curious. But I've no doubt I'll prefer the original.

To those of you who've seen the original SPOILERS for those who haven't--when Oskar visited his father, what did you take away from the man who showed up? Did you get a pedophile vibe from him, in the way he kept looking at Oskar? I did, but I wasn't sure I was meant to.

Shelley

DavidZahir

Malkavian Primogen
Registered
Reaction score
Website
undeadwhispers.yuku.com
S
P
O
I
L
E
R
S

Again, I've only see the American version. I think the "father" is an important figure because we're actually seeing the boy's future. And when the father said, "You leave that boy alone" it's very telling. At first we thought he was jealous or protective, but at the end we realize he was protective, but of the boy. He knew what was going to happen to the boy.

The boy at the end may be happy, but we already see his future in the father figure. He is anything but happy. But he's devoted to the vampire, or does he have a choice? (He actually said it, "Do I have a choice"?) I think the emotions between the vampire and the boy are complex, but the fact is, we already see what will happen to him, and thus I feel really sorry....
I've discussed this a lot on another board dedicated to the book and both films. Here's my take, one I think worth considering.

Every relationship is different. The Father character (in the original screenplay draft his name was Thomas) and Abby dissolved into bitterness. We don't know why. Yet at the end there was still a little bit of tenderness. Owen and Abby's future is unwritten. Whatever form it takes, however, that will be unique to them. Just as no two marriages are the same, even with the same person, and no two friendships are the same. I would also point out that a child will be of little real use to Abby for many years. What she seems to be seeking more than anything else is companionship. If love and happiness will not last--well, does it ever? In the final end?

Incidentally, the author of the novel John Ajvide Lindqvist wrote an epilogue titled Let The Old Dreams Die. We learn that when the train reaches its destination, Eli mixes her blood with Oscars so they will always be together. I know plenty of folks who saw Let Me In simply assumed something similar would happen between Abby and Owen--that they have something special.

deana

Greetings Programs!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.zhollis.com
To those of you who've seen the original SPOILERS for those who haven't--when Oskar visited his father, what did you take away from the man who showed up? Did you get a pedophile vibe from him, in the way he kept looking at Oskar? I did, but I wasn't sure I was meant to.

Shelley

Yeah, I got a sense that the guy was no good--that he was a pedophile. It seems that most everyone around him was dangerous in some kind of way.

Incidentally, the author of the novel John Ajvide Lindqvist wrote an epilogue titled Let The Old Dreams Die. We learn that when the train reaches its destination, Eli mixes her blood with Oscars so they will always be together. I know plenty of folks who saw Let Me In simply assumed something similar would happen between Abby and Owen--that they have something special.

I like that ending of the book!! I had no idea that the "father" figure was a pedophile (in the book). Did Eli actually let him...use her? How horrible! That makes you feel more for her as well. That would make more sense in why she didn't really care for him. But in the American version, it displayed that she did care for him...only because he was a boy when she met him like Oscar.

And you're right, a child would be of little real use to Eli, so companionship would work better for me. And the book's ending works great for me as well!

Thank you! I love to know all these different versions of the story and all of them are done very well.

amrose

is Envy Augustine
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

I took from the visitation that Oscar's biological father was perhaps gay and this was the man he'd left his family for. There is tension/hostility between the man and Oscar but I didn't pull child molester from that.

I thought Oscar was having a good time with his father and then very jealous when someone else encroached on that relationship.

shelleyo

Registered
Reaction score
I took from the visitation that Oscar's biological father was perhaps gay and this was the man he'd left his family for. There is tension/hostility between the man and Oscar but I didn't pull child molester from that.

I thought Oscar was having a good time with his father and then very jealous when someone else encroached on that relationship.

I thought about that too, about the man being gay and a secret lover, but it seemed more to me that he and the man get drunk together, and he was choosing that and drinking over Oskar. Not like the kid was there often, he could have sent his drinking buddy away and told him to come back after the week or something. It seemed to me that Oskar's looks were annoyed--I agree he was having a great time until the man came--but the man's looks weren't hostile so much as just . . . weird.

I guess in the end it doesn't matter why he was encroaching on Oskar's time with his dad. Either way, it established that his dad seemed pretty selfish and/or blind, so I guess the exact interpretation isn't that important. The dude gave me massively bad vibes, though.

Shelley