PDA

View Full Version : I have been emancipated! That is, I've lost my job.

underthecity
04-09-2011, 05:12 PM
I was at my job since August 2010 after a nineteen month layoff. I was brought back (as a contractor, just like before) to work with a line of machines the company was building, and expected to lose my job upon completion. There was always the hope that I would be moved to a different area after we were finished, but there was a huge slowdown plantwide. Not enough work right now for me, my contractor coworkers who were on the same line as me, and even for the full-time employees on other machines.

There just wasn't enough work.

They gave three of us a week's notice, which was nice. Although I was a bit sad at first to lose my job, I did know it was coming sometime. After finishing the last one, there just wasn't enough to do.

So, Friday, April 9 marked my last day at my job.

Now, once again, it's back to unemployment checks and back to job hunting in a horrible job market. I'm thinking about trying to freelance again, even though that idea didn't pan out at all during a time when the economy was much better several years ago.

My daughter is now two, and she has spent the past eight months in day care. She has learned a lot there, and since she's doing so well we've decided to continue daycare at three days a week. Full time is $140 a week, part time is $99 a week. We'll continue at part time until we decide we can't afford it any more.

My wife still has her job which she most likely won't be losing any time soon. (She's an assistant business manager.)

This obviously gives me the time I want to write. In the past month I've been writing mornings before work, afternoons right after work, and on weekends. Keeping to a daily goal of at least two pages a day with one chapter a week and two chapters on weekends, I've written 35,000 words with a goal of 60K for a YA thriller.

If I end up not finding a job, I could be called back to work again at my old job since they expect to pick up later in the summer. I'd rather not return there, as I say, I was emancipated. I had grown to hate my job, plus the company was moving in directions nobody liked. But, it paid well and it was steady.

Now I don't have to get up at 4:30 any more to go to a job I hate. Hooray!

Maryn
04-09-2011, 05:55 PM
Wow. I hope things work out for you. It's soul-crushing to go to a job you hate every day, yet scary to have insufficient financial security.

Maryn, here if you need to vent

Ari Meermans
04-09-2011, 06:05 PM
I don't know whether to say 'congratulations' or 'oops'. I walked off my job last fall—the only time I've ever done that—and have conflicted feelings everyday. I, also, feel as though I was emancipated but times are tough and hubby is carrying the full financial burden. I've looked for another job but they are just not there. On the other hand, I'm healthier and happier now that I'm home all the time for the first time in 45 years. I write. I garden. I cook and bake from scratch. My BP is down. Unfortunately, my weight is up so I need to exercise more.

hmm, I think I'll say, "Congratulations! Get crackin' on the writing."

night-flyer
04-09-2011, 06:14 PM
Sorry, about the job. Even if you did hate it, like you said- it was steady and good pay. Hopefully this will lead you to greater opportunities. Good luck on finding work and/or on your writing. I hope it all works out for you and your family. Wishing you the best.

rhymegirl
04-09-2011, 06:24 PM
Friday was April 8th. (can't help it; once a proofreader, always a proofreader) I know today is April 9th since it is my baby sister's birthday.

Sorry to hear you're back to being unemployed. The economy is still sucky as far as I can tell.

underthecity
04-09-2011, 06:27 PM
Thanks for the comments. Regarding April 9 vs 8, I had glanced over at the calendar and saw the 9.

Snowstorm
04-09-2011, 07:09 PM
Wishing you the best, Don, no matter what comes down the pike.

Uncarved
04-09-2011, 07:27 PM
Enjoy your freedom to write more and I hope that somewhere down the line a better job comes along.

zahra
04-10-2011, 07:58 PM
I may be joining you soon in the 'hated it, needed it, lost it' club, guys. Not having a husband to pick up the financial slack, it's not going to be the easiest of times for me, so I'll have to make the most of the writing time and leave it at that.

Yeshanu
04-11-2011, 08:45 PM
Write on!

And for those of you who are out of work or soon to be out of work, we do have a support thread (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=186151).

TheTinCat
04-11-2011, 09:34 PM
I wish you the very best of luck, love and happiness in the future.

And YAY for not getting up at 4:30!