PDA

View Full Version : mentioning The Beatles...

Said The Sun
04-08-2011, 05:59 PM
Hey guys,

I've a question on copyright that might turn you know-it-alls off, but I really don't know what to do. I've asked Google so many times, he's about to crown me queen of oblivion.

I know The Beatles are copyrighted to death, but their influence in the 60's plays an imperative role in my character's “growing up” life. I knew better than to transcribe directly or even mildly suggest any of the song lyrics, but now, as I'm getting closer to submitting my final draft, I'm getting nervous wondering if the simple mentioning “The Beatles” can get me in trouble. It only happens once or twice, and I just switched the first reference to: “that rock band from Liverpool” but I'd really like to keep at least one, since it gives a better visual on their hairstyles...

Of course, I wish not to evoke the wrath of Yoko, Michael Jackson, McCartney, or whoever holds the rights right now. So my question is, is referencing just the title of something copyright infringement? I've seen books that mention titles of other books, and even bands, but I've no idea if they had to ask for permission or not.
Sorry if this is a totally “DUH!” “HELLOOO” question, but the more I think about it, the more I'm pissing myself off.

Many thanks for your help. I'll be over there, in the corner, with the dunce cap on.

All My Loving,
Sunny

DeleyanLee
04-08-2011, 06:01 PM
Just mentioning a public figure(s) doesn't infringe on copyrights. No worries.

Good luck with your submissions.

Jersey Chick
04-08-2011, 06:09 PM
You can refer to The Beatles, or any of their song titles without fear. You only need to worry if you're going to be using their lyrics.

Just for future reference, titles aren't copyrighted. :)

Chicago Expat
04-08-2011, 06:09 PM
Just mentioning a public figure(s) doesn't infringe on copyrights. No worries.

Good luck with your submissions.

Yes.
Please change that line "that band from Liverpool" back to say The Beatles.

Said The Sun
04-08-2011, 06:23 PM
Yes.
Please change that line "that band from Liverpool" back to say The Beatles.
Haha! Most certainly.

Thank you all very much. Did you hear that? T'was my manuscript, uttering a huge sigh of relief!

whacko
04-08-2011, 09:10 PM
All My Loving,
Sunny

See. The Mop-Tops are such a part of our culture it's hard to get away from them.;)

Regards

Whacko

Priene
04-08-2011, 10:46 PM
Can't see Michael Jackson doing much wrathing.

jaksen
04-09-2011, 04:42 AM
I've mentioned rock groups in my stories, as well as famous people, famous events, and titles of songs, books and movies.

No problem with any of that.