Aspiring Author from California

susz

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, everyone. I've been lurking for awhile, signed up for an account about two weeks ago, and am now finally posting my introduction since I finally have a breather moment from work. I am a health care professional with a passion for writing. What little time I have after I've recuperated from a stressful week at work, I focus on writing and hence my lack of love life, but that's another story altogether. I've been writing for as long as I can remember.

While most kids wanted to dance, sing, and act (I was heavily involved in theater growing up), I've always wanted to be a writer. I blame my county for awarding me third place in the Young Author's Fair when I was eight. Since then I've been delusional about one day getting published. In my late teens and early twenties, I bought books upon books on breaking into the market- this was before the internet and internet publishing. Took a major break from writing to focus on my studies. Returned to writing after the death of my beloved grandmother. Writing and my latest muse kept me sane during my time of sorrow. Now, I can't stop writing and would love to take it to the next level. I submitted three different short stories for submissions to an anthology and was rejected on all occasions, citing that my stories were not a fit for the publisher. I am now focused on self-publishing because I've come to realize that there's no market for my writings. I don't write romance although all of my stories contain a romantic element. I write m/m dark/tragedy and sadly no one publishes this genre anymore:-( Every m/m publishers want erotica and for the life of me I can't write it. Honestly, I feel like while it's nice to have a romantic scene and/or sex scene here or there, these scenes should not be thrown in gratuitously. Well, here's hoping that I'll learn a few pointers from others on this board, make some friends, and become a published author along the way. So hello, again, everyone from California! Best of luck to all of us!

susz:)

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome!

I submitted three different short stories for submissions to an anthology and was rejected on all occasions, citing that my stories were not a fit for the publisher. I am now focused on self-publishing because I've come to realize that there's no market for my writings.

I can't speak as to your genre, but it seems to me that three rejections is barely even getting started. Not to sway you away from self-publishing if that's the route you want to go because for some people it's a good fit, but if it's because you think that's your only option, it might be worth looking around a bit more before committing to that.

Regardless, you should find a lot of help here on these boards and I wish you great success (-:

-Suzanne

M. Scott

2024 will be my year!
Registered
Reaction score
Susz, I would very much like to see the work that you describe be published. Every good story HAS to have a tragedy, at least in my mind. Tug heartstrings up and down all you want and write for yourself first. Remember this, you need more than just a good story to get published, especially for novels (not that all novels are good ;) ).

1.) You need the correct agent. Nab about 10 per week when you are ready off of Agent Query or 1000 Literary Agents (but she sure to creep about their websites to learn a bit more. Don't take rejection personally. Hit up agents that want women's fiction, erotica, or any genre that resembles what you send them.

2.) Market correctly. I cannot stress this enough. You need a solid query letter or proposal. If you need help, visit Query Hell and all of us damned souls will give you a hand - including with your synopsis. If you don't how how to write a query letter, read the stickies or google "Query Shark."

3.) Betas and friends. You need someone to glance over your work, check your formatting, give some feedback? Many of us will.

There is a 50-post minimum before starting your own threads (which I wish would have been in place when I signed up, I was overeager), so browse about and enjoy!

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW. Hope you enjoy your stay with us.
How do you like your popcorn?

If you go to the bottom of the page to the ‘forum jump’ you can scroll down and find all the areas of this place. Most of the SYW areas require the password of ….vista. A word to the wise, (50 posts), it would be a good idea to participate first in helping others before you think about posting your own work. After you have been around here for awhile, then post something of your own for help. Good luck.

susz

Registered
Reaction score
thank you for the warm welcome, everyone.

susz

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome!

I can't speak as to your genre, but it seems to me that three rejections is barely even getting started. Not to sway you away from self-publishing if that's the route you want to go because for some people it's a good fit, but if it's because you think that's your only option, it might be worth looking around a bit more before committing to that.

Regardless, you should find a lot of help here on these boards and I wish you great success (-:

-Suzanne

hi, suzanne. i know three rejections isn't alot, but i work so many hours that i barely have time to focus on my writings at all so it's a little devastating when i finally have a finished piece and it gets rejected. also, i really don't know the ins and outs of the publishing world. since i write m/m, i've just been sending my works to m/m publishers i find online. unfortunately all m/m publishers want some erotica in the stories and i don't write erotica or even romance. i just happen to write stories with male leads who happen to be involved with another male character. and if i were to classify my genre, i would say it's dark/tragedy. and heck, even amazon doesn't have that genre listed and it's the largest marketplace online.

susz

Registered
Reaction score
Susz, I would very much like to see the work that you describe be published. Every good story HAS to have a tragedy, at least in my mind. Tug heartstrings up and down all you want and write for yourself first. Remember this, you need more than just a good story to get published, especially for novels (not that all novels are good ;) ).

1.) You need the correct agent. Nab about 10 per week when you are ready off of Agent Query or 1000 Literary Agents (but she sure to creep about their websites to learn a bit more. Don't take rejection personally. Hit up agents that want women's fiction, erotica, or any genre that resembles what you send them.

2.) Market correctly. I cannot stress this enough. You need a solid query letter or proposal. If you need help, visit Query Hell and all of us damned souls will give you a hand - including with your synopsis. If you don't how how to write a query letter, read the stickies or google "Query Shark."

3.) Betas and friends. You need someone to glance over your work, check your formatting, give some feedback? Many of us will.

There is a 50-post minimum before starting your own threads (which I wish would have been in place when I signed up, I was overeager), so browse about and enjoy!

Hi, M. Scott! Thank you! That's exactly how I feel. When I read something, I want to feel above anything else. I want to feel the pain and anguish of my heroes and root for their victories over adversities. Since actively (okay, semi because I still work 40-50+ hours a week with little to no time for writing) trying to launch my writing career, I've submitted my short stories for anthology submissions and each time I was informed that my stories don't fit what they were looking for. Because I write m/m stories and all m/m publishers that I've come across want erotica, I know that if I have drawn out sex scenes, I might have a better chance. I know for a fact that if I were to write m/f stories, I will have a better chance, but one's sexuality should never define a person. Therefore all my leading men are your typical average men who just happen to be involved with another male character. In fact, I don't even stress the characters' sexuality. I will continue to write for myself because I enjoy what I write and I have a passion for it. Thank you, M. Scott for the wonderful welcome and your suggestions:)

Last edited:

V_writes

Testing the waters
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome!

I'm new to writing, but as far as I can tell, three rejections is meaningless. I've read interviews with bestselling authors describing thousands of rejections before they finally broke through. Keep trying!

J'Dubee

I make tall stories short
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jdubee.com
Hi, M. Scott! Thank you! That's exactly how I feel. When I read something, I want to feel above anything else. I want to feel the pain and anguish of my heroes and root for their victories over adversities. Since actively (okay, semi because I still work 40-50+ hours a week with little to no time for writing) trying to launch my writing career, I've submitted my short stories for anthology submissions and each time I was informed that my stories don't fit what they were looking for.<<< (This sounds like a form rejection. At least they sent a rejection letter.)Because I write m/m stories and all m/m publishers that I've come across want erotica, I know that if I have drawn out sex scenes, I might have a better chance. I know for a fact that if I were to write m/f stories, I will have a better chance <<< (Are you sure? Look closely at what you have written in your posts -- You may need a beta reader to look your work over objectively.) but one's sexuality should never define a person. Therefore all my leading men are your typical average men who just happen to be involved with another male character. In fact, I don't even stress the characters' sexuality. I will continue to write for myself because I enjoy what I write and I have a passion for it. Thank you, M. Scott for the wonderful welcome and your suggestions:)

Welcome aboard and Good Luck.
Jay

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
Greetings and welcome to the watercooler :welcome:

Take a wander around the various forums, there's lots to see and lots to learn, and even some fun threads too. Come along and pop on over to the Newbie Pub (at the top of the Newbie forum) and say hi, there's plenty of friendly faces that you can chat with and lots of banter. There's also the Question of the Day threads at the top of the Newbie forum where you can answer random questions.

Don't forget to read the newbie guide, and if you want to know what all the buttons mean check out this thread.

susz

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the encouragement, everyone. I hope to learn alot from everyone here. I just started writing with the intention of getting published last year and have since sporadically submitted works. For me, I just don't know in what direction I should go, to which publishers I should submit works. And it's so hard to stay focus when I work so many long hours and am always exhausted.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hello.gif

Don't forget to read the Newbie's Guide and enjoy AW

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. So take some time to read the stickies, greet fellow newbies, critique other members’
works, or join a discussion.

I have passes for the pool on the roof, only $10

Nickie

Not too old to learn
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nickiefleming.com
Hi there Susz, and welcome! I also write novels that don't classify in one particular genre. Just like you I have problems writing sex scenes, although I try my best. The reason I don't write romance is that every page (or so) should have a scene full of erotica. Not that I'm a prude, but I think something should be left to the reader's fantasy...
You might try querying my publisher. They are open to admissions and they really do a great job.

Nickie

Last edited:

susz

Registered
Reaction score
Hi there Susz, and welcome! I also write novels that don't classify in one particular genre. Just like you I have problems writing sex scenes, although I try my best. The reason I don't write romance is that every page (or so) should have a scene full of erotica. Not that I'm a prude, but I think something should be left to the reader's fantasy...
You might try querying my publisher. They are open to admissions and they really do a great job.

Nickie

Hi, Nickie! Okay, I admit I can be a bit prudish. I read the little sticky on writing sex scenes in the romance section and I still don't think I'm capable of writing them. I agree that it's not necessary to go over every detail for several pages on a sex scene especially if you're not writing a romance novel. Who's your publisher? Do they accept m/m works? That's another issue with me. I write stories with male leads who happen to be involved with another male character, but I don't write erotica so I don't fit the needs of any publishers that I've found:-(