• This forum is specifically for the discussion of factual science and technology. When the topic moves to speculation, then it needs to also move to the parent forum, Science Fiction and Fantasy (SF/F).

If the topic of a discussion becomes political, even remotely so, then it immediately does no longer belong here. Failure to comply with these simple and reasonable guidelines will result in one of the following.
    1. the thread will be moved to the appropriate forum
    2. the thread will be closed to further posts.
    3. the thread will remain, but the posts that deviate from the topic will be relocated or deleted.
    Thank you for understanding.​

Possible next-to-Minimal Supersymmetric event

Maxx

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score

Astronomer

I'm an excellent poofreader.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.androidastronomer.com
They believe they might have observed the decay of a particle at extremely high energies that was SO not predicted by the current Standard Model. Moreover, the analysis indicates that this particle may be a "force-carrying" particle, with the mind-boggling implication we may be on the brink of discovering a fifth force of nature.

That alone would be enough. If confirmed, it would be the biggest thing in physics since Relativity and Quantum Physics. But if the new force (if confirmed) could be described as a form of repulsive gravity, it could be that we've received our first glimpse into that elusive stuff that makes up 75% of the universe and is causing its expansion to accelerate: Dark Energy.

That's my take on it, anyway.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Um, huh, what?

What are the implications, in layman's terms please, if this is true?
More billions to be spent on even larger particle accelerators.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.
They believe they might have observed the decay of a particle at extremely high energies that was SO not predicted by the current Standard Model. Moreover, the analysis indicates that this particle may be a "force-carrying" particle, with the mind-boggling implication we may be on the brink of discovering a fifth force of nature.
I can hear many New Age gurus saying "See, I told you so!"
That alone would be enough. If confirmed, it would be the biggest thing in physics since Relativity and Quantum Physics. But if the new force (if confirmed) could be described as a form of repulsive gravity, it could be that we've received our first glimpse into that elusive stuff that makes up 75% of the universe and is causing its expansion to accelerate: Dark Energy.

That's my take on it, anyway.
All this Dark Science seems so tentative...

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
Hey, there are also 'sparticles'!

Difficult to detect. "I'm sparticle!" "No, I'm sparticle"

Maxx

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, it is. Indeed, ALL science is tentative. But the dark stuff, especially so.

It wouldn't quite exactly be like a new "force" -- As Steven Wienberg has been saying for a few decades, what we have is an "effective field theory" -- ie the forces we see are compromises amoung more fundamental forms of action where there are lots of forces (eg. forces where supersymmetric particles = sparticles = are exchanged).
This might be the first glimpse of the real forces in action.
Or it might be a statistical fluke.

Astronomer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thanks, Maxx. I appreciate the clarification. I tend to fall into the habit of referring to our models as reality instead of treating them as the layers of abstraction separating us from reality that they truly are.

Maxx

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Maxx. I appreciate the clarification. I tend to fall into the habit of referring to our models as reality instead of treating them as the layers of abstraction separating us from reality that they truly are.

Some of the forces that the physists are trying to get the press excited about are pretty abstract no matter what. For example: "electro-weak" (I think this set of events can be read as a WW ZZ type "electro-weak" event producing a squark ie a strong-force supersymmetric particle or sparticle). You don't directly observe the weak part of that force in day-to-day life. I guess you directly observe the electro part all the time (lightning or static electricity or the glow on your computer screen)

Hallen

Mostly annoying
Registered
Reaction score
A cheesy CNN article on the event

Cool, nonetheless.

If electromagnetism is one force, couldn't gravity and mass be the opposite sides of the same force? Or am I stating the obvious or ridiculous? (we could call it Gravass :D OK Gravimass would be better)

Astronomer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/04/08/pa...+Technology)&utm_content=Google+InternationalIf electromagnetism is one force, couldn't gravity and mass be the opposite sides of the same force?
Mass gives rise to gravity, so the two are definitely linked. But mass isn't a force, so I'm not sure I understand your question.

But to address the larger issue you've touched upon: to the extent that your postulate is confirmed to be the case, such confirmation would arise from our mathematical models, which are abstractions that only describe -- not explain -- underlying reality.

As Maxx has said: "It is what it is." (I'm paraphrasing just a bit. :))

Maxx

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
A cheesy CNN article on the event

Cool, nonetheless.

If electromagnetism is one force, couldn't gravity and mass be the opposite sides of the same force? Or am I stating the obvious or ridiculous? (we could call it Gravass :D OK Gravimass would be better)

The electroweak force has its own opposites. You can see how the force works by observing how its field (always actually some virtual particles -- in this case the W and Z bosons that carry the electro-weakforce) lets those opposites work.
Gravity has no opposites built into it. It is always attractive, though of course as a force it causes some part of the expansion of the universe.

Supersymmetry (which might be one interpretation of this event) places all forces under the control of supersymmetric opposites or fields. So in Supersymmetry, gravity would have an opposing force (for example like this:
http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/arxiv/pdf/1103/1103.3504v1.pdf),
ie a mediating field, ie a set of particles like the photon,W and Z for the electroweak force.

So yes, you are right. Gravity might balance the electoweak force and maybe via supersymmetric forces of some kind.

FOTSGreg

Today is your last day.
Registered
Reaction score
A land where FTL travel is possible and horrible t
Website
Www.fire-on-the-suns.com
Okay, what are the real- life ramifications of such a thing, if it occurred, and how might it shape future physics 20 years down the road and real-life 20 years down the road providing we have an understanding of just what is happening, or could happen, if we can do the math regarding this event and these "particles"?

Speculation, please, but realistic speculation.

Astronomer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
If this event actually is our first glimpse into the mechanism underlying dark energy, then we should be able to predict more accurately when the universe will end.

Yay.

Maxx

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, what are the real- life ramifications of such a thing, if it occurred, and how might it shape future physics 20 years down the road and real-life 20 years down the road providing we have an understanding of just what is happening, or could happen, if we can do the math regarding this event and these "particles"?

Speculation, please, but realistic speculation.

As the Astonomer says, finding some supersymmetric particles and or the Higgs (standard or otherwise) would point us in the direction of figuring out how the universe as a whole works. Or more exactly, what the overall energy budget is for groups of galaxies in terms of formation and change. I suppose there would be some clearer ideas of how gravity works at the Planck scale.

On the other hand if there is no Higgs and no Supersymmetry, the Standard Model is in some trouble.
Which is odd, since the best thing for the Standard Model seems to be that it is a part of some next-to-minimal supersymmetry.