PDA

View Full Version : Sleep deprivation writing

heyjude
04-07-2011, 04:18 AM
So this is weird. I haven't been sleeping much at all, between a horrible cold and the thing with the dog (sick, elderly, poor sweet dog who keeps me up all night). So I haven't been writing much.

::cue ominous music::

Or so I thought.

Last night I finally got a decent sleep. (Go Xanax! {For the dog, not me. I need my wits about me if someone needs me.}) Today I went to have a look at the WIP and found... 750 new words. They must have been written yesterday in my severely sleep-deprived state. I don't remember writing them at all, but then yesterday is kind of an all-over "Yay, I survived the day!" blur.

They're decent words, advance the plot and everything. But... :Shrug: I don't get it.

Anyone else sleep deprived? Writing while sleep deprived?

fireluxlou
04-07-2011, 04:31 AM
I write my best stuff that advance the plot when it's half one in the morning and onwards. Sleep deprivation is a miracle worker for some reason. Ideas are buzzing like crazy at that time before I go to sleep and I just have to write it down because my memory is like a sieve. You're not alone! It is getting closer to that time again...

Zelenka
04-07-2011, 04:37 AM
I'm the same, I usually don't get warmed up to writing until about midnight, and then I'll quite often write until I can't physically keep awake any more. Then usually I can't sleep because I've got the ideas for the next bit going round my head. I mean, today was my day off work, and I've sat pretty much all day doing nothing, soon as it hit about 11pm, got about 6K words down.

Mom'sWrite
04-07-2011, 04:39 AM
What if you didn't write those words?

*cue ominous music*

Caitlin Black
04-07-2011, 04:48 AM
I'm not sure if I write better when I'm sick, but I certainly sneeze a lot more while writing, which adds an element of danger to the proceedings.

But sleep deprivation? I always just go to bed if I'm tired.

Jessianodel
04-07-2011, 04:50 AM
I'm not sure if I write sleep-deprived, but I know I write best in the middle of the night. It usually happens after I'm tired, but not enough to fall asleep immediately and them sometimes between midnight and one AM I'm wide-awake and start writing obsessively. I finished two chapters in an hour one night (although one badly needed a rewrite).

Niti Newtfinger
04-07-2011, 04:52 AM
Oh my goodness I'm the same! I usually write from midnight to four in the morning. It's ridiculous, but it's the only uninterrupted time I have, and when I have my best ideas.

heyjude
04-07-2011, 04:55 AM
What if you didn't write those words?

*cue ominous music*

:scared:

I'm not sure if I write better when I'm sick, but I certainly sneeze a lot more while writing, which adds an element of danger to the proceedings.

:ROFL:

But sleep deprivation? I always just go to bed if I'm tired. Lucky you! I wish I had that option. :D

I definitely wrote those words during the day. The previous night was all spent up with the dog. For some reason things didn't get blurry till the sun came up...

But I am sure glad I'm not alone!

ETA: I mean serious sleep deprivation, not just writing at night, but the state of literally being sleep deprived.

ZannaPerry
04-07-2011, 04:59 AM
I discovered a long time ago that I write my best when I am sleep deprived, or when I'm feeling good on sleeping pills. It's strange when your mind goes foggy yet your muse shines through, and you actually get some work done.

-Said by a true insomniac

Stlight
04-07-2011, 06:50 AM
I've written with sleep deprivation. You know that point where the floor begins to move, all right on ships, not so good in houses. Ignoring the floor, I've turned out the usual amount. It's best to edit it when not sleep deprived, my muse in mad flight doesn't seem to care as much about leaps of faith, or plot slips/holes.

You'd be surprised at exactly how awful the synopsis written during the sleep deprived state can be.

Regan Leigh
04-07-2011, 07:00 AM
See my profile. ;) Insomniac to the core.

I also do best to start no earlier than 10pm and stop when my eyes won't stay open at 4am+.

But I've been sick this week, too... and the meds keep me from staying awake long enough to get in a real grove. Stupid cold.

VP_Benni
04-07-2011, 07:46 AM
I wish I could write while I'm sleep deprived... Which is pretty much every moment of the day. >.< I'd get so much more done...

~Amber~

Alan Yee
04-07-2011, 07:56 AM
I don't know how you all do it. Sleep deprivation makes me less likely to write.

Caitlin Black
04-07-2011, 01:52 PM
The closest to writing when sleep-deprived that I've come was last November 1st. Yup - start of NaNo.

I stayed up till midnight, then wrote for an hour, went to bed at 1am, got to sleep at 1.30am, woke up at 7am, wrote for another hour, then had to go to a class.

And that almost killed me.

Charlee
04-07-2011, 02:36 PM
I love those moments when you are just writing in a daze and then when it comes to the edits you can't remember writing it, it's a nice little treat :)

pangalactic
04-07-2011, 02:40 PM
Same. I think it's because I physically can't edit myself when I'm in that sleep deprived, semi-hallucinogenic state. No editor = lots of words.

heyjude
04-07-2011, 11:47 PM
I've written with sleep deprivation. You know that point where the floor begins to move, all right on ships, not so good in houses. Ignoring the floor, I've turned out the usual amount. It's best to edit it when not sleep deprived, my muse in mad flight doesn't seem to care as much about leaps of faith, or plot slips/holes.

Beautifully said! :) That's it--things are all swimmy and sometimes the only thing I can do is sit in a chair and wait for it to pass. And my fingers just move over the keyboard...

pangalactic
04-07-2011, 11:54 PM
Beautifully said! :) That's it--things are all swimmy and sometimes the only thing I can do is sit in a chair and wait for it to pass. And my fingers just move over the keyboard...

I once wrote a 60k word stream-of-consciousness novel that only had two chapters in about fourteen solid hours while in that state (it was when I was around 15, suffering from chronic insomnia, and at that point I'd gone without sleep for about 5 days). At the time it was beautiful and haunting and tragic. After I'd slept it was the worst piece of trash I'd ever read.

Saying that, though, some of the best things (IMO) that I've written happened while in a similar mental state. And writing that 'novel' was very cathartic, at the time.

bettielee
04-08-2011, 12:27 AM
I don't even try to function when I'm sleep deprived.

But I feel you. Total insomniac. It stinks.

Cassiopeia
04-08-2011, 12:43 AM
Before I remarried, insomnia was okay to have to write in the wee hours of the morning but now, I get up between 5 and 6 every morning and it's not conducive to writing in the middle of the night. Oh for those long gone days when I stayed up all night writing and then after I got the kids off to school, I'd sleep for four hours and get back up and start again.

*sigh* Kids are grown and gone and now I have a hubby that snores (bless him, I'm so glad he does) and two step daughters who come over every week to create chaos in our lives. :D

So yeah, I envy you, mamajude.

heyjude
04-08-2011, 03:31 AM
:D

For me, at this point, the inability to sleep isn't related to the kids (the boy is beyond that, thank God!) but to the dog who is old and no longer sleeps. Like, ever. He would occasionally do those micro-bursts of sleep, or fall over into a brief coma-like unconsciousness. That was it.

We slept again last night (thank you Xanax!), so that makes two nights in a row. After who knows how many of no sleep. Wow. It's just occurring to me how very, very edgy and sick I was getting from the no sleep.

sf.writer.mdk
04-08-2011, 07:56 AM
mmm.... makes me want to do some sleep deprivation experimentation. I've done some before, but am up to it again, I think.

heyjude
04-08-2011, 04:50 PM
mmm.... makes me want to do some sleep deprivation experimentation. I've done some before, but am up to it again, I think.

If I still lived in Pgh, I'd ask you to come and sit up with the dog then. :tongue

Regan Leigh
04-09-2011, 08:18 AM
I'm feeling the slight rocking and swimming right now... must be time to write. ;)

cptwentworth
04-09-2011, 09:57 AM
I am a night person (husband is a chipper morning person, wouldn't you know), but I could just as easily write in the morning as I could lift an elephant. The evening hours just seem to flow by quickly, and regardless of how heavy my eyes are getting, my brain is still churning out material. Sometimes the typos come more frequently with the tiredness, but those can be fixed.

Now that I have kids, though, I have to cut it much shorter than I would have normally done.

night-flyer
04-09-2011, 10:07 AM
I saw the name of this thread and said to myself (yes, I talk to myself), this is my entire writing habit. I do all of my writing, working, living- sleep deprived.

I work nine to ten hours a day, and write at night. In five days, I maybe get in 15-16 hours of sleep. But on days off, I sleep in until 2 in the afternoon to make up for it.

I've fallen asleep while typing several times, and the next night that I go back into the document, sometimes I have no idea what that crap is that I wrote the night before. meh!

But the nights are mine and mine alone, no phone calls, no job, no visitors, etc. so I enjoy writing all night even if I don't get any sleep.