PDA

View Full Version : Pen names

September skies
10-23-2005, 05:15 AM
I'm sure this is probably already covered in some thread...but I was wondering.

I read somewhere that if a person has never been published, he/she should not use a pen name.

But what if I have a story I don't really want to promote under my real (more biblical) name, especially since I was a preacher's daughter?

Not that I'm writing an X-rated novel but I do have a couple of short stories that will knock your socks off....

just curious.

pepperlandgirl
10-23-2005, 10:52 AM
That's a silly rule, ignore it. everything I've published, save one literary story, has been under a pen name. I can't imagine a singly reason why a new author couldn't use a pen name.

veinglory
10-23-2005, 07:30 PM
Who said that? I think the majority of erotica writers use a pen name, I sure do. Some publishers have a preference for real name use as tghey can do fuller promotion of a person than a persona--but I don't know of any that insist on it.

unthoughtknown
10-24-2005, 03:40 AM
No, I've read that before too, somewhere in some submission guidelines...

Sounds like it was a rule set by that particular publisher unfortunately.

dragonjax
10-26-2005, 12:17 AM
As far as I know, you have to give your real name with the submission so that you can get paid properly. But you would also clearly include a byline with the pen name.

Example:

AUTHOR'S REAL NAME
AUTHOR'S ADDRESS
AUTHOR'S EMAIL INFO

STORY TITLE
BY AUTHOR'S PEN NAME

Me, I use a pen name for my erotica because I use my real name for mainstream and YA stuff.

blisswriter
11-15-2005, 10:19 AM
I certainly publish my erotica under a pen name. As others said, my mainstream stuff goes under my legal name.

But yes, you do have to give a publisher/editor your legal name to get paid. Unless you're "doing business as" _____________ (insert pen name here)...

Danyealle
11-26-2005, 07:59 AM
I post under 3 seperate pen names depending upon the genre I am working with, sounds like what someone said, some publishers wierdness