Pen names

September skies

cloud watching
Registered
Reaction score
under my September Skies in sunny California
Website
www.estheravila.com
I'm sure this is probably already covered in some thread...but I was wondering.

I read somewhere that if a person has never been published, he/she should not use a pen name.

But what if I have a story I don't really want to promote under my real (more biblical) name, especially since I was a preacher's daughter?

Not that I'm writing an X-rated novel but I do have a couple of short stories that will knock your socks off....

just curious.

pepperlandgirl

American Aquarium Drinker
Registered
Reaction score
That's a silly rule, ignore it. everything I've published, save one literary story, has been under a pen name. I can't imagine a singly reason why a new author couldn't use a pen name.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Who said that? I think the majority of erotica writers use a pen name, I sure do. Some publishers have a preference for real name use as tghey can do fuller promotion of a person than a persona--but I don't know of any that insist on it.

unthoughtknown

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jennifersando.com
No, I've read that before too, somewhere in some submission guidelines...

Sounds like it was a rule set by that particular publisher unfortunately.

Last edited:

dragonjax

I write stuff and break boards.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
As far as I know, you have to give your real name with the submission so that you can get paid properly. But you would also clearly include a byline with the pen name.

Example:

AUTHOR'S REAL NAME
AUTHOR'S ADDRESS
AUTHOR'S EMAIL INFO

STORY TITLE
BY AUTHOR'S PEN NAME

Me, I use a pen name for my erotica because I use my real name for mainstream and YA stuff.

blisswriter

blissed beyond belief...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I certainly publish my erotica under a pen name. As others said, my mainstream stuff goes under my legal name.

But yes, you do have to give a publisher/editor your legal name to get paid. Unless you're "doing business as" _____________ (insert pen name here)...

Danyealle

I post under 3 seperate pen names depending upon the genre I am working with, sounds like what someone said, some publishers wierdness