PDA

View Full Version : Flying with Dogs??

Elaine Margarett
04-06-2011, 03:24 PM
Hi all,

DH got his latest job assignment and we'll be in Nevada for the next 18mos to two years.

Provided we can find a house to rent that will accept dogs, we're going to take our two German shepherds with us. I don't want to drive across country with them so it means flying out of Baltimore to Las Vegas, then an additional four hour drive north to Ely.

I shipped a puppy several years ago when I was breeding ( hated it; was a nervous wreck and swore I'd never do it again). And I've already decided I would have them on the same flight I'm on since it would be less to worry about. Any tips to make the long flight (about 5 hours direct non-stop) easier for them (me)?

I'm really happy I'll have my dogs with me this time, but kinda dreading the logistics of getting them there.

Thanks!
EM

heyjude
04-06-2011, 03:33 PM
:Hug2: I know this is a tough one. We went through this when we moved. I wanted to fly, but we have a large dog. I looked into flying with him and was so horrified by the stories of dead and lost dogs that I decided against it. We ended up driving the two days and while it wasn't fun, it beat the alternative for us.

Here's one place to get started researching. www.petflight.com (http://www.petflight.com/)

Elaine Margarett
04-06-2011, 03:59 PM
Thanks for the link, HeyJude. I bookmarked it.

I've considered calling my dogs service dogs to keep them in the cabin; but they're fairly large and some people freak out when they see two GSD coming their way. I also thought they might be better off in their comfy crates.

There is an airline that only transports pets and they fly out of BWI (Baltimore Intern'l) but we'd have to fly them into Denver which is nearly as long a flight to Vegas, plus we'd have a sixteen hour round trip to pick them up.

Hubby wants to drive but it's a 35 hour trip without stops! I'm not sure there's enough xanax to get me through it. :-/

veinglory
04-06-2011, 06:29 PM
There are companies that will do this all for you door to door.

heyjude
04-06-2011, 06:41 PM
Hubby wants to drive but it's a 35 hour trip without stops! I'm not sure there's enough xanax to get me through it. :-/

:Hug2: Oh man. We had about 20 hours to drive and we had to stop overnight. I am the worst car traveler, much worse than the children. I get cranky getting from here to the mall.

There are companies that will do this all for you door to door.

Oh! I forgot about this. I researched these when we were going. Link to a number of them here (http://www.petsonthego.com/profpetmovers.html). In the end I couldn't bear to let anyone else near my babies so I sucked it up and took the car, but this would be a nice option for someone less... crazy... than me. :)

Elaine Margarett
04-06-2011, 09:00 PM
:Hug2: Oh man. We had about 20 hours to drive and we had to stop overnight. I am the worst car traveler, much worse than the children. I get cranky getting from here to the mall.
. :)

Xanax helps. <g>

I HATE travelling! Even three hours in the car has me feeling like a trapped animal ready to chew off her leg to escape. We'd take the kids to the ocean which is only 3 hours away and I was the worst one..."Are we there yet?!"

I don't like to fly either but the older I get the less I fear it. Hmmm firey plane crash, or a long sad demise from Alzheimers? Not that I'd want to take anyone down with me but at least the plane crash is quick and easier on the surviors.

I couldn't go with the door to door service... too much of a control freak. And I'd feel better if I were on the same flight in case there were delays.

I hate the mall, and where we're going the closest one is four hours away! Won't be going there! lol