• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Is Anybody Up For Starting A Novel Writers Group With Skype?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikewritesfic

Registered
Reaction score
Just a thought. It would be nice to sit back with some like minded folks and help each other through the tiresome process of novel writing. Skype seems like a useful tool for making it happen.

Miriel

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Just hopping in to say that this is what my writing group does, and Skype works really well for it, imho -- Skype handles multiple people just fine.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Not sure if there is a particular reason for your question, but although my normal one-to-one Skype usage is free I think one has to pay for a 'conference' chat facility.

Can you chat with more than one person on Skype at a time?

Last edited:

JayMan

Like Burt Reynolds in Gator
Registered
Reaction score
No, you can chat with multiple people simultaneously on Skype for free. I'm positive because I do this with my friends all the time (I don't know if there's a limit, but I've been in a room with up to 8 or 9 people before).

If you're actually trying to make phone calls with it, I think that costs money.

Purple Rose

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alxblog.net
It's the video conference that's no longer free, Skype conference is still free. I would love to join but am on a totally different time zone so it would be tricky. Also, depending on where callers are, Skype conference calls drop a lot and voices are almost always distorted.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Do you see the other folk occasionally at other physical meetings and/or during the Skype conversation, or is it all done by voice alone?

Just hopping in to say that this is what my writing group does, and Skype works really well for it, imho -- Skype handles multiple people just fine.

Libbie

Worst song played on ugliest guitar
Registered
Reaction score
I do the Skype thing regularly with my dear deployed boy, and I agree that video and sound can distort badly. I think an online novel critique group is a great idea and I'd love to participate...maybe if we did it in a private Yahoo Group, where we could have a separate thread/email chain for each writer's work, that would keep it organized and people could participate equally whenever it was convenient for them. Hmmm...

Status
Not open for further replies.