PDA

View Full Version : Beta wanted for Urban Fantasy - will pay right person

MelodyO
04-05-2011, 08:22 PM
ETA: Sorry if this isn't the right place to offer to pay someone for their services. I'd certainly appreciate any help you could give me with or without payment.

Hi, I'm looking for edits/feedback on an Urban Fantasy novel I'm working on. It's my third novel, so I have a firm grasp on the fundamentals, less so on the procrastination. :0) I need someone who isn't afraid to tell me what works and what needs work, and of course I'd also love some encouragement; it won't be a good match if you don't like Urban Fantasy and/or my breezy style of writing. Here's some info:

Title: A Wish Best Served Cold
Estimated Word Count: 90 - 100k (12k completed so far)
Genre: Urban Fantasy
What to expect: strong female characters, UST that eventually resolves rather spectacularly, snark, action, a mystery to solve

Avery Malone has issues. Even though her job is to kill Fey with her sterling silver vambrace of doom, her BFF/business partner is a screaming banshee. When her best friend is murdered Avery decides to use a genie to exact her revenge. Sounds good, but of course it's not quite that easy (it never is), and Avery finds herself trying to find the killer and possibly save the world while saddled with an omnipotent, clinically depressed genie who just happens to always take the form of her utmost sexual desires. Hijinks ensue.

If you're interested I could email you the first chapter so you can see if it might be up your alley. You can reply with the edited chapter with any comments and suggestions you may have. Thanks very much!

Jess Haines
04-05-2011, 11:51 PM
You shouldn't have to pay a beta reader. That's not what they're for. If you're looking to pay someone to edit and critique your work, consider a service that does that sort of thing professionally, like The Visions Group (http://www.thevisionsgroup.net/index.aspx).

Beta readers are people who do it for fun, for their friends, etc. They aren't always experienced editors or professionals in the field, but--hehe--you get what you pay for.

Good luck in your writing ventures!

MelodyO
04-06-2011, 12:11 AM
I know, but I find "professional" editors to be...I don't know. Too professional? Not in love with or excited about the content, but fussing over commas, I guess. I'm sure not all editors are like that, but that's been my experience. And call me crazy, but I thought it would be nice to pay one of the very nice betas around here who might find a little extra money helpful these days.

Karen Junker
04-06-2011, 01:37 AM
Please don't pay a beta -- as you may get someone who doesn't know jack. They might take on your manuscript for the money, not for the sake of paying forward the help they've received from others around here.

When you pay someone who is a professional, you will get a professional job. That includes some fussing over commas. Why would you not want your manuscript to be as clean as possible?

Perks
04-06-2011, 01:42 AM
Yeah, I have a couple of the best betas ever and all I pay is in blood and tears. Keep your money. It won't buy you what you hope it will in a beta.

MelodyO
04-06-2011, 01:50 AM
Sigh. I can see from the sample chapters if they know their stuff or not, and the comma comment was not my point. I'm looking for help finishing my manuscript, and that's worth something to me even if they're not a "professional". Anyway, it's a moot point because a couple of betas already offered to help me out of the goodness of their heart.

Please don't pay a beta -- as you may get someone who doesn't know jack. They might take on your manuscript for the money, not for the sake of paying forward the help they've received from others around here.

When you pay someone who is a professional, you will get a professional job. That includes some fussing over commas. Why would you not want your manuscript to be as clean as possible?

Bufty
04-06-2011, 03:44 PM
This is so open to abuse by the unscrupulous. Don't offer to pay.

Sigh. I can see from the sample chapters if they know their stuff or not, and the comma comment was not my point. I'm looking for help finishing my manuscript, and that's worth something to me even if they're not a "professional". Anyway, it's a moot point because a couple of betas already offered to help me out of the goodness of their heart.

heza
04-06-2011, 07:03 PM
I understand wanting to warn off people from trying to actually "hire" betas, and I understand how open this is to abuse. But the OP seems to have reasons for wanting what she wants.

Maybe she expects a paid beta to go above and beyond normal services, maybe she expects a paid beta to keep to a professional schedule, or maybe she wants a certain level of beck-and-callness or motivational hand holding. If two informed, consenting adults are satisfied with a business relationship, then I don't see any reason to try to keep them from entering it.

That said, I'm looking to beta without pay. Your premise sounds interesting. I can get as high-level or detailed as you need; I can even turn a blind eye to commas if that's what does it for you. ;)

Keep me on your backup list, and let me know if your other betas don't work out.

Jess Haines
04-06-2011, 11:51 PM
I know, but I find "professional" editors to be...I don't know. Too professional? Not in love with or excited about the content, but fussing over commas, I guess. I'm sure not all editors are like that, but that's been my experience. And call me crazy, but I thought it would be nice to pay one of the very nice betas around here who might find a little extra money helpful these days.

Most betas will accept a return crit as payment. :)

I do get your concern about the reader not being invested in the story if they are a professional, but I did want to point out regarding your comment on the commas that it really depends on what you're paying for, too. Copyeditors will charge you to nitpick the commas. You can purchase a critique which is simply an overview of what kind of improvements they suggest to make your manuscript/storyline stronger. It depends on the service, who you use, what you tell them you want, etc.

Again, good luck!

Prawn
04-07-2011, 04:07 PM
If you pay me one hundred dollars now, I will give you one hundred and ten dollars when you finish your rough draft.

Then I will read it for you for free.

MelodyO
04-07-2011, 09:42 PM
Hee, thanks for this. It's like you looked into my soul. I also want foot massages while eating Turtles. Is that so much to ask?!? :0P

FWIW, I had a good friend beta my first novel, and with four chapters and an exciting climax left her marriage fell apart and she couldn't finish it. It was freaking stressful to say the least, and I was hoping to avoid that scenario this time.

I understand wanting to warn off people from trying to actually "hire" betas, and I understand how open this is to abuse. But the OP seems to have reasons for wanting what she wants.

Maybe she expects a paid beta to go above and beyond normal services, maybe she expects a paid beta to keep to a professional schedule, or maybe she wants a certain level of beck-and-callness or motivational hand holding. If two informed, consenting adults are satisfied with a business relationship, then I don't see any reason to try to keep them from entering it.

That said, I'm looking to beta without pay. Your premise sounds interesting. I can get as high-level or detailed as you need; I can even turn a blind eye to commas if that's what does it for you. ;)

Keep me on your backup list, and let me know if your other betas don't work out.