PDA

View Full Version : How did you discover the last book you read?

jdm
04-05-2011, 07:23 AM
I am inviting everyone who bothers to view this thread to take the time to share their answer to this question: How did you learn about the last book you decided to buy?

Was it by word of mouth, an ad you saw (if so, where was the ad placed), being picked up by you off the rack and looked at it before purchasing, actively seeking out new titles in a genre, having received it as a gift, being forced to read it at gunpoint by a crazed author? What? How was that particular book brought to your attention?

I see so many of these threads read by hundreds of people, yet only a dozen or so will comment. Take the time to let me know how you usually find the things you read. Just a couple of words telling where is all I ask.

ShapeSphere
04-05-2011, 07:34 AM
... picked up by you off the rack and looked at it before purchasing ...

That one.

I was in a book store and saw the cover of "I Am Ozzy" - the autobiography of Ozzy Osbourne. I love Black Sabbath and felt this book would be interesting and bought it immediately. I wasn't wrong. It was hilarious and honest.

VP_Benni
04-05-2011, 07:35 AM
It was on my shelf.
That's about as much as I've got. :D
It's middle grade, so it's either
A.) my little brother's
B.) mine from middle school that I never got around to reading
C.) something my mom found somewhere and randomly got for me

~Amber~

MaryMumsy
04-05-2011, 07:40 AM
That's two questions. The last six or so I bought were by authors I was already familiar with. The last I read I found by seeing the cover in a member's sig line. The one I'm reading right now I found in a review in the newspaper.

MM

Chris P
04-05-2011, 07:41 AM
The book I'm reading now is book 4 of a series, so I've been looking for it.

mccardey
04-05-2011, 07:48 AM
Review on a bookblog I trust.

( http://anzlitlovers.wordpress.com/ )

Her reviews are always well-considered and her choices are generally rewarding. (No, I don't know her. I found her blog by accident a long time ago.)

Smish
04-05-2011, 07:55 AM
The last book I read was recommended by AW member DrummerGirl.

And the book I'm currently reading was written by AW member timp67 (his debut novel!).

:D

thothguard51
04-05-2011, 07:58 AM
Book store via recommendation by store employee...

mccardey
04-05-2011, 08:00 AM
Book store via recommendation by store employee...

That's how I found "Gilead" by Marilynne Robinson - most wonderful book! What on earth will we do when the bookshops all close down?

Soccer Mom
04-05-2011, 08:02 AM
I've been reading old releases by authors who are epublishing their backlists. The newer authors have all been word of mouth or blog reviews.

Ondi
04-05-2011, 08:05 AM
Definitely, by word of mouth. Most books I read are recommended by someone (Yes, my mother). I do have a growing list of must reads.

These recommendations I'm compiling from blog posts via. Google Alerts. A simple tool, I feel all writers need to tap. Many posts are agent's reviews and announcements, but I've found many helpful resources sent direct to my email, and many great books.

Purple Rose
04-05-2011, 08:25 AM
I have a stack of "Books I always wanted to or would very much like to read" on my shelf. I've been buying them for the past five years. I've read most. Right now it's John Banville's The Sea.

juniper
04-05-2011, 08:59 AM
Just finished "One of Our Thursdays is Missing" by Jasper Fforde. I'd never heard of this author but the title caught me as I was leaving the library. It was on a shelf of "new releases" by the door ... I saw it, looked at the dust jacket and then checked it out.

If I'd known it was the 6th in a series, I probably would have put it back and maybe tried to find the 1st one, first. But I started reading it and was surprised and confused and amazed by the writing, alternately. Now I think I'll go read book 1. To try to make sense of it all.

cooeedownunder
04-05-2011, 09:10 AM
I read a great deal of book reviews. Normally printed versions, though.

authorgirl1485
04-05-2011, 09:11 AM
It was a New York Times bestseller. Since that is my dream, I check the list with every issue and buy the first one, regardless of whether or not I'll actually enjoy it. (Best to keep up with the market.)

Lillie
04-05-2011, 09:16 AM
I was just browsing in the library and it caught my eye. It was an author I had read before, although this was not their usual genre, and I thought I'd give it a go.

It was OK.

Now I have to take it back.

It was Anne Perry, The Sheen on the Silk. I know her better for her Victorian crime novels, but the font on the front of this was so pretty.

Kitty Pryde
04-05-2011, 09:17 AM
Current book I'm reading because the author is doing a reading/signing with an author I really like, and I wanted to check out her first novel before seeing the reading.

Normally I read books because I hear about them in the "What Are You Reading" threads, or they're well reviewed in the blogs I read (tor.com, whatever.com, bibliophile stalker, and a few others), or they pop up as "Books I May Be Interested In" on Amazon or Borders emails.

blacbird
04-05-2011, 09:22 AM
Given to me for Christmas by my wife. A recent history of the explorations of lost explorer Percy Fawcett in the Amazon in the 1920s, who disappeared on a Quixotic quest for a fabled "lost city" related to Atlantis.

The previous one i finished just before that, the obscure novel Mardi, by Herman Melville, had been sitting on various bookshelves in my various residences for forty-some years. A hoary Signet Classic paperback that cost 75 cents.

Methods vary.

COchick
04-05-2011, 09:29 AM
On AW. I'm trying to go through and read books by the members here.

shelleyo
04-05-2011, 09:44 AM
I'm reading Alas, Babylon! because my daughter has to read it in her English class. I wouldn't have read it for just that reason, but she's fascinated by it and wanted me to read it, too. So technically, word of mouth/recommendation.

The book before that was a recommendation from my daughter, too. It was actually a YA book that I ended up loving, to my great surprise. Before those, at least three were recommended by my cousin, who has similar reading tastes.

I guess I'm a word-of-mouther. It certainly helps to have people who like similar things, because I'm not into the genres that are hot right now, so most lists and bestsellers currently are things that don't interest me at all.

Shelley

readitnweep
04-05-2011, 09:46 AM
Last book I read that was't one I already own I found on the shelf at the library. The cover grabbed me. I'm a sucker for all things tartan, and it was a Peter Kerr. A real treat!

Tracey Taylor
04-05-2011, 09:53 AM
I'm currently reading the third book of series. I discovered the series online through recommendations. I then checked out the first book in the series while at the bookstore and decided to buy it.

That's how I normally do things when it comes to finding books. I hear about titles online from people with similar tastes and then I see what it's like the next time I'm at the bookstore.

Susan Littlefield
04-05-2011, 10:22 AM
I am inviting everyone who bothers to view this thread to take the time to share their answer to this question: How did you learn about the last book you decided to buy?

Was it by word of mouth, an ad you saw (if so, where was the ad placed), being picked up by you off the rack and looked at it before purchasing, actively seeking out new titles in a genre, having received it as a gift, being forced to read it at gunpoint by a crazed author? What? How was that particular book brought to your attention?

I see so many of these threads read by hundreds of people, yet only a dozen or so will comment. Take the time to let me know how you usually find the things you read. Just a couple of words telling where is all I ask.

Wherever there are used books, there I am. It was either a second hand store or the Book Fair, I can't remember which. I think it was the second hand store. It's a great book too!

PulpDogg
04-05-2011, 12:40 PM
Last book I read I think I found somewhere either here or on Kindleboards, I can't really remember. Current book I read is the 2nd of the same series ...

Then again, I am having around a dozen books lying around half read ... so "currently reading" means I am switching between a lot of books.

fireluxlou
04-05-2011, 12:44 PM
I was browsing Amazon and adding books to my wishlist from recommendations.

shaldna
04-05-2011, 01:15 PM
How did you learn about the last book you decided to buy?

The last book I read was sent to me by accident. I had ordered a couple of books from Amazon and one of them was wrong. It had a similar title, but was a completely different genre etc, and not a book I would have normally picked up. But I believe in happy accidents, and so I gave it a go. It was alright.

gothicangel
04-05-2011, 01:27 PM
I'm actually reading The Eagle of the Ninth, and that was after seeing the movie which I enjoyed a lot and wanted to read the original book. It's interesting to see the differences in audience, the book reads as like a John Buchan 'boys-own story' where there was a definite need to update the plot for a modern movie.

My Mam did try to get me to read it when I was little [in the '80's] but I never did. I don't think I would have had the patience. Even now as I read it, I think 'hmm, you could have made that better with a rewrite.'

I now have a pile of Roman historical fiction on my desk, so that has to be good for writers if a film is driving people to search out other titles in a similar period/theme. I used to be obsessed with the Romans [grew up near Hadrian's Wall, so spent a lot of summer holidays viewing Roman sites], I think I'm going back to my childhood. :D

Priene
04-05-2011, 02:03 PM
The last book I finished was Herta Mueller's The Land of the Green Plums, which I bought just after she won the Nobel Prize for Literature. It was unrelentingly miserable but written with surprising beauty and lightness.

Now I'm reading Sebastian Barry's The Secret Scripture, which I bought after he made the Booker shortlist. It's been sitting at the bottom of my book stack for a couple of years. So far it's surpassed even Mueller's unrelenting misery and fills me with a desire to headbutt my own face.

seun
04-05-2011, 02:41 PM
I got my current reads the same way I get most of them: by opening a box of stock.

I have a good job.

gothicangel
04-05-2011, 02:49 PM
I got my current reads the same way I get most of them: by opening a box of stock.

I have a good job.

Would that be chicken or vegetable stock? :D

Mr Flibble
04-05-2011, 03:06 PM
The last book I finished, I bought because Scarlettpeaches and KTC keep wittering on about it :D The current read is because I had an idea for a magical realism story and figured I ought to read One Hundred Years of Solitude for research.

seun
04-05-2011, 03:20 PM
Would that be chicken or vegetable stock? :D

Chicken. :ROFL:

Calla Lily
04-05-2011, 03:39 PM
I stood in front of the "New Releases" shelf in the library, looking to see if a friend's book was there. Then I saw the first of CS Harris' Sebastian St. Cyr mysteries. The title looked interesting and I hadn't heard of her before. So I read the blurb and it sounded good.

I'm totally hooked.

I've found several new authors that way.

Amarie
04-05-2011, 03:41 PM
I was browsing in the library. The book before that I found browsing in a bookstore.

Ludicrum
04-05-2011, 04:20 PM
The last book I finished reading, I am Number Four, I heard about from my brother. His wife happens to be friends with one of the co-authors and was super-excited about the book. As the resident "wannabe" writer, they wanted my opinion.

Boy did I give it to them. Then I wrote a scathing review. Goodness, that book was awful.

KimJo
04-05-2011, 04:31 PM
The last book I finished was Will Grayson, Will Grayson. I found it in an indie bookstore that I visited to ask whether I could do an author appearance. I figured I should buy something since I was there (fostering goodwill), spotted the book on one of the YA shelves, and remembered hearing good things about it, so I bought it. Ostensibly for my teenage daughter, but since I paid for it, I got to read it first :D

Phaeal
04-05-2011, 04:53 PM
The last book I read was an easy pick -- my nephew wrote it. Check out You Killed Wesley Payne (Sean Beaudoin) if you're in the mood for hilarious neo-noir pre-apocalyptic YA.

:D

I grabbed three more books while at Borders, all for different reasons. Pure random browsing in the stacks yielded a tasty Victorian vamp hunter novel in Descent into Dust (Jacqueline Lepore). Major Pettigrew's Last Stand (Helen Simonson) happened to be featured on a table, and I've been wanting it for a while. Serendipity -- not far off was The Finkler Question (Howard Jacobson, this year's Man Booker winner. Lured by the shiny gold medal, I read a few pages and added it to the shopping cart.

PorterStarrByrd
04-05-2011, 05:04 PM
another 'unwise' trip to a used book store, which usually eats up my wallet contents.

I find my new favorite authors this way .. (ouch!! hope not everybody does this)

Authors who I discover I like I wait for the paperback (ouch !! hope not everybody does this)

Occasionally I get a recommendation, particularly on history, from someone I know.

AlwaysJuly
04-05-2011, 05:07 PM
I've bought 5 books this week, so I'll list how I found them all--

I bought an overview of medieval history and a book on the lives of great Physicists from wandering the Borders shelves, looking for books on Camelot, greek mythology and science history. Didn't find exactly what I was looking for, but found some other things I didn't know I needed. :p

Ficiton-wise, I bought an AW author's book for my Kindle off Amazon.com because I went looking for her books, and I bought two more books for my Kindle from an another AW author because they were posted about on his blog - I'm always curious to read stuff from people here.

And I also downloaded several free (legal!) e-books for my Kindle, a mix of sci-fi and classics, browsing for anything free and appealing. :)

Sai
04-05-2011, 05:16 PM
I'm reading 'Ordinary Decent Criminal' right now. I heard about it from listening to a CBC Radio program (either 'The Next Chapter' or 'Writers and Company') where they interviewed the author. He seemed like an interesting guy and I hadn't read much good Canadian crime fiction, so I checked it out from the library.

Jamesaritchie
04-05-2011, 05:34 PM
The last book I read was a Dean Koontz novel. I din't have to find it because I read everything Koontz writes. Same with most of the other books I read. They come from writers I follow.

Books by new authors are different. The last one of these I can remember came by word of mouth. I also picked up three or four last year from the NYT list.

Rhoda Nightingale
04-05-2011, 05:38 PM
Last book read: We Have Alway Lived in the Castle, by Shirley Jackson. Found by one of Stephen King's analytical essays in Danse Macabre--I built up a looooot of things on my Must Read list thanks to that book.

Puma
04-05-2011, 05:42 PM
Hate to admit, but the last book I read was from the shelf at the dollar store - Sink the Shiguri, about a sub and a sub destroyer in WWII. It wasn't the best writing (way too many adjectives for my liking), but the story wasn't too bad. With the prices of books these days I do tend to see what's available through clearance and sometimes find some decent ones. Puma

KyraDune
04-05-2011, 06:12 PM
The last book I read was Phytosphere by Scott Mackay. I don't buy science fiction books often, because I rarely enjoy them. But one day the Dollar Store had all their books on sale for ten cents, so I just grabbed up anything I thought there was the slightest chance I might enjoy.

jdm
04-05-2011, 06:38 PM
Thanks to everyone who has responded to my question so far. I am delighted that so many have shared their information. So far, there seems to be no trend emerging as to how people find the books the end up reading. It seems to be evenly divided between the various avenues of discovery, which surprised me a bit because in today's age of technology, I expected a big rush towards some sort of on-line tie-in.

Has anyone gotten a hold of a book because they saw a book trailer on YouTube? I keep hearing more and more about them but wonder how effective they are and if they are reaching an audience. Are people actually willing to sit and watch a video blurb for a book? And how do people learn of these trailers?

I know I am adding another question into the mix but it is definitely related. I am anxious to hear from more of you.

Rhoda Nightingale
04-05-2011, 06:57 PM
I loathe book trailers, so no to that last question. As for the internet in general, I'll tell you this:

I use the Library section here sometimes to find books by AW authors, and then I read those. Although more often than not, I'll just keep running into someone who I think has interesting things to say here, then look up what they've written and check it out. They also give great recommendations. ;)

Also, looking more closely at your initial question, I have to amend my answer, because I didn't buy the Shirley Jackson book. I just checked it out from the library. Shrinking shelf space and shrinking budget don't allow me to buy as many books as I'd like to. (And even then, I know I buy more than I should.) So the last book I bought was Peter Straub's A Dark Matter, which I picked up because it was at the grocery store and I know I like Peter Straub. (But I haven't read it yet.)

gothicangel
04-05-2011, 07:41 PM
The problem with book trailers on youtube is that your potential reader has to know that there is a trailer on youtube of your book. Classic chicken and egg.

I read a lot of writing magazines that have interviews with authors, that is how I tend to come across new writers. Just starting Andrew Grieg's Romanno Bridge, I came across that one because Grieg was at an author talk at my university several weeks ago.

Kate Thornton
04-05-2011, 07:43 PM
I bought several books by authors on a couple of lists I subscribe to.

And they bought mine, I think!

(I hope!)

k.

Libbie
04-05-2011, 09:46 PM
Saw it on the shelf at the book store during one of my many browsing trips.

ChaosTitan
04-05-2011, 11:59 PM
The last book I purchased was chosen because I'd seen a few good reviews posted online for it, and it had a hero type that wasn't common and very much appealed to me.

Snowstorm
04-06-2011, 12:04 AM
Click, a novel, by Dan Whipple was recommended by a person who lives in my tiny mountain burg. One of the locales in the book is a tiny burg based on this one. I can recognize many of the buildings and characters in the novel.

mscelina
04-06-2011, 12:08 AM
Period research. I'm currently steeping myself in biographies and autobiographies from the era I'm writing in. However, all those books were purchased because of the back cover copy and then the first chapter of the book. I read very quickly, so I can spend five minutes, get in a chapter and know if I want to continue with the story or not.

DeleyanLee
04-06-2011, 12:12 AM
For the last book I finished, I found it on the recommendations from Amazon since I've purchased other books about the Plantagenets previously. It was The Greatest Knight by Elizabeth Chadwick, a fictional biography about William Marshal, Earl of Pembroke.

The two books I'm reading now are The Face of Battle by John Keegan (research for present MIP) which was recommended by a friend and and Jack the Ripper: The Simple Truth by Bruce Paley (research for an upcoming MIP) which I found on www.casebook.org (http://www.casebook.org) (primo Ripper site).

The next two books on the list are The Scarlet Lion, which is the sequel to The Greatest Knight because I enjoyed the first one and The Second Duchess by Elizabeth Loupas, who I used to be in a writers' group with and greatly enjoyed the bits I read as she was writing it.

rosiecotton
04-06-2011, 12:45 AM
My editor sent me a bunch of books last week, so I'm reading one of those right now. It's awesome, btw.

Anne Lyle
04-06-2011, 12:49 AM
The book I'm reading right now (Triumff: Her Majesty's Hero by Dan Abnett) I picked up at a convention whilst checking out the competition :)

Niti Newtfinger
04-06-2011, 12:51 AM
I get most of my recommendations from book blogs now, specifically the Story Siren and Steph Su reads. :)

Jamesaritchie
04-06-2011, 02:21 AM
Thanks to everyone who has responded to my question so far. I am delighted that so many have shared their information. So far, there seems to be no trend emerging as to how people find the books the end up reading. It seems to be evenly divided between the various avenues of discovery, which surprised me a bit because in today's age of technology, I expected a big rush towards some sort of on-line tie-in.

Has anyone gotten a hold of a book because they saw a book trailer on YouTube? I keep hearing more and more about them but wonder how effective they are and if they are reaching an audience. Are people actually willing to sit and watch a video blurb for a book? And how do people learn of these trailers?

I know I am adding another question into the mix but it is definitely related. I am anxious to hear from more of you.

I can't think of an easy way for me to ever see a book trailer on YouTube. I'd have to go there and search for book trailers, and there's nothing about a book trailer I need in order to find far more books than I can ever read.

And, for me, trailers are great for movies, lousy for books. I don't watch a book, I read it, but book trailers are all about video. There's just nothing there that makes me want to read a book by a new writer.

I'm not much on reviews, either, though at least a review is reading, not watching.

If I want to browse for books, I go to a brick and mortar library or bookstore for low tech browsing, or to an online bookstore or library for high tech browsing.

A brick and mortar library is still my favorite place for finding new writers because I can read without buying. If I like the writer, I'll buy his books from then on.

I buy books because: 1. They're by a writer I know and like. 2. Readers create a buzz about the book. 3. They land on the NYT Bestseller List, and look interesting. 4. I stumble across one that looks interesting in a library or bookstore, online or off.

I don't go by reviews, and video book trailers just don't cut it for me.

dgaughran
04-06-2011, 03:06 AM
Aunt Julia and the Scriptwriter by Mario Vargas Llosa. It was a Christmas gift, and I put off reading it for a while because I didn't like the blurb, I found his books to range from the excellent to the mediocre, and I had a pile of great stuff to read since my last trip home to an English-speaking country. I don't think I would have bought it myself, and it started really slow, but I enjoyed it in the end.

The last two before that De Niro's Game by Rawi Hage - borrowed from my father who hadn't read it. One of the best books I have read in a long, long time. Never heard of this guy before but I will read anything he puts out in the future. The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon. I had been hearing so much about this guy over the last few years - mostly on forums and blogs, never heard anyone mention him in Ireland - that I took the plunge when I saw this in a discount bookshop. A fantastic read, a real page-turner but with lines written so beautifully they take your breath away.

P.S. Book trailers and reviews do nothing for me either.

DeleyanLee
04-06-2011, 03:16 AM

I've only seen one book trailer, back when they were first coming out. It sucked. It didn't tell me anything about the book, it was more confusing than a regular blurb and it had the added disadvanage that, if I was interested, that I didn't have anything more to follow up on immediately as I can when shopping for a book in a store or the "look inside" features on Amazon and online stores.

I've bought more books from watching interviews with authors (13) than I've gone to see movies from seeing trailers in the theater (1).

Until trailers get attached to those sites that are selling the books, I'm not sure they're of any real value to invest in, IMO.

swvaughn
04-06-2011, 03:18 AM
Ah, the purchasing habits of the elusive book-buyer. Never an easy thing to document in the wild. :D

As far as I can tell for me, it's a matter of having heard something somewhere about an author or a particular book (could've been from a friend, on the internet, at the end of a different book, any number of things) and then seeing said author or book in a store, or online when I happen to be buying a book for some reason or have a gift certificate.

There really seems to be no rhyme, reason, or general consensus as to how books get sold, except for that apparently spontaneously generated "buzz" or "word of mouth." Everyone has a different process.

And book trailers -- even though I've made a bunch of them for my own novels, I don't think any of them have convinced me (or anyone else, for that matter) to rush out and buy a book. My theory is that they just add another layer to that subconscious awareness that can eventually lead to a sale, if a person is in the right place at the right time to buy.

I'm full of cheery and uplifting insights today. :D

Linda Adams
04-06-2011, 04:44 AM
Display table at the library.

AlishaS
04-06-2011, 05:55 AM
Well... let's see, the book I am reading this very second (This Lullaby by Sarah Dessen) I learned about from the YA What Are You Reading Right Now thread on this fine website.
The book I just purchased today (Where She Went by Gayle Forman) is the sequal to If I Stay, and I picked that book up on a whim at my local chapters last year.
The other book I purchased today, Stargazer by Claudia Gray, I learned about both through the YA What Are You Reading Right Now thread in YA and I because it's a sequal to Evernight :)

deborahlea
04-06-2011, 08:11 AM
Most of my recent reads are recommends from KittyPryde. I'd have to say this is my favorite kind of hand-me-down. I get to skip all the threadbare stuff and get all the shiny, like-new stuff instead!

frimble3
04-06-2011, 10:10 AM
I recently bought a batch of five new, hardcover, full-price books.
1. Favourite author, buy anything with his name on it.
2. Replacement for a book I foolishly gave away, then regretted losing.
3. Picture book, loved the cover, googled the author, loved all his other stuff, ordered the book. (through local bookstore)
4 & 5. One crochet, one embroidery book. Was browsing the website of the publisher of another book, saw these, looked them up at the library, ordered them (through local bookstore).
I get a lot of ideas from the 'New and Interesting' shelf at the library, and from on-line chatter, but I don't normally buy them before I actually get to read a bit of them.
I can't be bothered to look for book-review blogs, because, hey, there are thousands of them, and I don't know any of those people, I'd have to read a lot of their stuff to get a feel for what they think is good/bad.
As for book trailers, I know what they are, have seen a few, know someone who made a few, and they leave me unmoved and uninterested. I'm not into tiny little movies. Pretty pictures don't tell me enough about the writing. I'd rather see a synopsis and a sample.

Daddyo
04-06-2011, 05:41 PM
I subscribe to Tyrus Books newletter, so when they released Seth Harwood's "Young Junius" I snagged it.

heza
04-06-2011, 07:51 PM
I found the current book and the one I just finished among books donated to the hospital waiting room. The latter was a short romance.

The former is book one of a fantasy trilogy. I hated it, was going to put it back, but looked up the author online, realized it was a well known author, read all the raving reviews, and decided to push through. It seems to be getting better.

The book before those two was recommended by a coworker.

Most of my books are recommended by people at B&N, though, or are selected from browsing because the cover or the title catches my eye and the blurb and a random page from the middle are compelling.

erin_michelle
04-06-2011, 10:58 PM
I picked up Blackout by Connie Willis after the Book Smugglers reviewed (http://thebooksmugglers.com/2011/04/nebula-readathon-2011-blackout-ship-breaker-behemoth.html) it. I'm a sucker for time travel novels, so the premise hooked me instantly. Just finished it last night, and I ran out to the library to borrow All Clear, Blackout's sequel.

jdm
04-08-2011, 05:08 AM
Thanks everyone so far for the input. What is becoming clear is that there is no one single method people prefer for learning about new books they might want to read. The lesson to take away from this seems to be that if you are going to take an active role in promoting your work, you need to cover all the bases, some of which may take some ingenuity to figure out how to exploit. I hope more readers will chime in with their thoughts.

jdm

DeadlyAccurate
04-08-2011, 05:51 AM
I'm currently reading the third book of a series. I discovered the first book from reading her agent's (Kristin Nelson) blog.

The previous two books I read, though (Johannes Cabal the Necromancer and Johannes Cabal the Detective) were discovered from one of those "if you like this, you might like that" recommendations on Amazon.

BarbaraKE
04-08-2011, 07:42 AM
The book I'm currently reading came from the marked-down rack at a Barnes and Noble. This is very unusual for me since I very rarely go to bookstores but I made a special trip there today since my sons will be buying me an ereader for my birthday and I wanted to check out the Nook.

I bought the book because it's the new book in the 'Dune' series (and I have all the others).

The vast majority of books I read are either bought in a wonderful used bookstore in town or found by browsing on Amazon and/or ebay.

The Grump
04-08-2011, 08:56 PM
I stared at it on the bookshelves ... until I gave in, in spite of the 1000 pages. Elizabeth George's "Body of Death".

Pistol Whipped Bee
04-08-2011, 09:04 PM
Thanks for asking. My son picked it up at Barnes and Noble and said "Mom - I think you might like this." I bought it and he was right. The book is Fated by S.G. Browne.

Kids can be so awesome and helpful!

DragonHeart
04-20-2011, 04:13 PM
The book I'm currently reading, The Adamantine Palace, I probably first heard about on Pat's Fantasy Hotlist. It's one of several blogs that I visit when seeking out new reading material. I tend to hover around Pat's the most though, probably because he shares my opinion on the Malazan series. :D And I've discovered many books thanks to his blog.

Of the last few books I've read, Play Dead was the latest in a series. I learned about said series here, since the author is an AW member. Then there's Blackveil, also the continuation of a series. I don't remember where I first heard of it though; probably just stumbled across it on Amazon years ago, when the first book was released. The Cuckoo's Egg was required reading for class. Farlander I definitely found on Pat's Hotlist.

That's all I've read recently, really.

Snowstorm
04-20-2011, 06:36 PM
A friend recommended Booked to Die by John Dunning. I want to read the rest of this mystery series.

Aaron Wilder
04-20-2011, 07:15 PM
I buy used books in bulk, so I have stacks of unread paperbacks on my shelves. Two in particular sell old sci-fi and fantasy so I'll grab chunks by particular authors. Got most of the Witchworld series that way. Anyway, one of these also has a lot of older general fiction as well.

Last book I read? How to Save Your Life by Erica Jong. It was one of those chunks that I bought because I had heard of Fear of Flying and figured I'd give her other stuff a try. Bought at the same time as Henry Miller's Lexus/Nexus/Plexus, all of the Castenada books, and a lot of Walker Percy stuff (which will probably be the next books I read).

Most new books that I grab are impulse buys while looking for something else at Amazon/B&N/Border's.

Rhoda Nightingale
04-20-2011, 07:24 PM
Last book read: Ann Aguirre's Grimspace, whom I heard about based on her decision to support Jessica Verday in the Running Press/Wicked Pretty anthology fallout. (I'll go into detail only if pressed, simply because I can't be fussed hunting down links right now.) I went looking for that author, and that book was the first entry in the first series I located.

Currently reading: Jennifer Crusie's Tell Me Lies, recommended by JoB in my thread asking for romance novels for a newbie.

fadeaccompli
04-20-2011, 09:31 PM
Most currently read (since I usually read several books at a time): Midnight Riot, which a friend recommended, I eventually got around to checking out from the library, and then which I bought a copy of for myself when I was halfway through it because it was that damn good. Huntress, because I liked the previous book in the series and followed the author on Twitter, so I knew when the next one was coming out. Black Butler Vol. 3, picked off a shelf at the library at random (the first volume, anyway) and then continued in the series from there.

I'd say that the books I read come almost entirely from: more books by authors I already like, recommendations from friends, stuff I pick up randomly on the library shelves because the cover/blurb look neat, and stuff that sounds interesting when reviewed somewhere like Tor.com. Almost everything else is rounding error.

ChaosTitan
04-20-2011, 09:48 PM
Last book I read was "Ten Things I Love About You" by Julia Quinn. I found it in a thrift store and picked it up because I'd seen good reviews online around its release time. Plus the story sounded fun, and I liked the title. I have another Quinn book in my TBR stack, given to me by a friend, which I will definitely read now.

AlwaysJuly
04-21-2011, 01:48 AM
Last book read: Ann Aguirre's Grimspace, whom I heard about based on her decision to support Jessica Verday in the Running Press/Wicked Pretty anthology fallout. (I'll go into detail only if pressed, simply because I can't be fussed hunting down links right now.) I went looking for that author, and that book was the first entry in the first series I located.
I admit it, I'm fascinated by some interwebs drama. I'm going to have to Google for it...

writingismypassion
04-22-2011, 12:56 AM
The last book I read was Coming Home by David Lewis. I saw it on the bookstore shelf while researching for my WIP.

EWaters
04-22-2011, 01:16 AM
My current book is "My name is Mary Sutter"...I saw it on the shelf and the cover got me first...then the bits about it being set in the civil war...and then I read the first page, and I liked the style of writing, so I bought and am now hooked! Good book so far, half way through.

gilesth
04-22-2011, 03:02 AM
I just finished Mockingjay. I heard about it all over the internet, wanted to read it, but my wife actually bought it. She loved it so much (the entire trilogy) that I sat down and read all three books. I loved them!

bearilou
04-22-2011, 03:13 AM
One of the two I'm reading now: Video Game. I'm playing The Witcher video game and decided to buy The Last Wish.

Just wish there were more books translated into English than The Last Wish and Blood of Elves. I love me some Geralt of Rivia.

The other, friend recommended that I read David Eddings' The Elenium. That one I'm still working through the first of the trilogy.

jdm
04-30-2011, 06:46 PM
Thanks for the response to this thread. Seems there are many ways to discover good reads, but book trailers don't seem to be one of them. The main complaints about them are they don't give enough relevant information about the book and that they are not easily found without specifically looking for them. I suspect the lack of information problem is because it is a new publicity medium for books and isn't fully understood by the people using it. As for the problem of finding them, books don't have the same type of PR mill that movies have. Individual celebrities have their own PR machine which dovetails perfectly with that of the movie industry itself, which has for years relied on visuals to promote what is a visual medium. I have no figures to back this up, but I imagine the advertising budget is larger and it is spread over a smaller number of products pitched to the consumer.

My next question to throw into the mix is this: Do you feel if the content becomes better and the visibility more prominent that you may start to pay attention to book trailers when they begin to pop up on websites or if a website becomes dedicated to hosting book trailers?

Nya RAyne
05-01-2011, 04:59 AM
The last book I read, was actually recommended to me by my mother. Okay, that's a lie, the majority of books that I read are recommended to me by my mother...lol.

She's an avid reader and my number one supporter!!

RobJ
05-01-2011, 12:11 PM
How did you learn about the last book you decided to buy?
Listened to a discussion about it in a radio programme.

Adam
05-01-2011, 05:06 PM
It was part of a series. I think I picked up the first after a recommendation from a friend.

eward
05-02-2011, 12:23 AM
Goodreads. I find most of my books on there, on Amazon or my library.

Devil Ledbetter
05-02-2011, 01:04 AM
My mom passed along the last two novels I read. That woman has always been a one-person book club. She's belonged to Book of The Month since before I was born, I think. Love her!

Pistol Whipped Bee
05-02-2011, 01:13 AM
I dreamed about it. finding fish by Antwone Fisher

scope
05-02-2011, 02:19 AM
CSpan.

Isabelle
05-02-2011, 02:53 AM
The last book I read was My Family And Other Animals...sort of recommended to me by my memory! I read it when I was younger, and loved it. Stumbled across it on the shelves when I was visiting my parents recently, and had an urge to read it again. Loved it even more.

At the moment I'm reading The Little Friend by Donna Tartt - a colleague in the book shop I used to work in told me I should read it, and so far I think she was right!

KTC
05-04-2011, 03:29 PM
I discovered the last several books I read through Twitter connections. I find I'm buying a lot more now that I'm on Twitter regularly. It has been the biggest influence ever on my book buying.

CaroGirl
05-04-2011, 04:10 PM
The book I'm reading now I discovered from reading the reviews in the paper and in magazines. It had buzz.

The Grump
05-04-2011, 08:31 PM
Discovered the last book I read on a book store's shelves while browsing. A ghost story: Mary Downing Hahn's The Old Willis Place.

I'm even going to blog about it.

Riyyah
05-08-2011, 06:23 AM
The last book I read, The Andromeda Strain, was recommended to me by my older brother. We think a lot alike and are interested in a lot of the same things, so we borrow each others books a lot and tell each other when we've read a really great one.

bearilou
05-08-2011, 07:12 AM
My next question to throw into the mix is this: Do you feel if the content becomes better and the visibility more prominent that you may start to pay attention to book trailers when they begin to pop up on websites or if a website becomes dedicated to hosting book trailers?

For me? No. Flashy hype about a book doesn't pull me in like a recommendation will. When I read, I'm interested not only in what it's about, but how it reads. How enjoyable it was for others who read it.

Book trailers won't tell me more than possibly what it's about. Frankly, I can read the back flap for that.

LJD
05-08-2011, 07:30 PM
last novel: The Best Laid Plans (Terry Fallis) - dad's recommendation. I think he read it because it was the Canada Reads book for 2011 and it is currently on the Canadian bestsellers' list.

before that: Lord of Scoundrels (Loretta Chase) - Mrs. Giggles (romance novel review site). Was actively looking for romance novel suggestions. Am somewhat new to the genre.

before that: The Corrections (Jonathan Franzen) - Not sure where I first heard about this book. He's gotten a lot of press.

Snowstorm
05-08-2011, 07:44 PM
At the front of the library is the new releases or the staff favorites. The Treasures of the Library of Congress by Charles A. Goodrum was up there as a staff fave. It weighs about four pounds, beautifully printed, and I had to read it. It's fascinating, and not just about the LoC and its artifacts, but about the history of many items: printing, Stradivari instruments (the LoC owns FIVE).

entropic island
05-08-2011, 09:05 PM
A Man Without a Country.

After discussing Vonnegut with me, a friend lent it.

jmindigo
05-10-2011, 04:22 AM
Last book I read was Hounded by Kevin Hearne. I picked it up because I was reading a writing blog, or fourm... perhaps here? It was a while ago. Anyway, I followed a link to a blog, thought 'hey - this guy is neat!' and added the blog to my Google reader. When I saw he had a book coming out I added it to my wish list and got it when it came out. :)

I feel like I pick up a lot of books because of blogs these days. I usually only watch book trailers for books I already know I'm going to buy.

The book I'm currently reading (Demon Hunts by C.E. Murphy) is book five in a series - best I can remember I got into C.E. Murphy's books because of a short story in an anthology I got from the library.

Kyra Wright
05-10-2011, 04:47 AM
The last few books I read were recommended by AW members.

Griffin
05-10-2011, 08:10 AM
Right now I'm going through a list of books that friends have recommended.

Bmwhtly
05-10-2011, 10:50 PM
The Sunday Times gave Tiger Tiger a really good review. I agree, but really not an easy read. Although I did finish it in two days.

I discovered my next book, Survivors, because I watched the 70's TV series. I know, novelisations are anathema. But Nigel Kneales novelisation of Quatermass was pretty gewd.

HarryHoskins
05-11-2011, 03:03 AM
Charity shop.

lachel
05-11-2011, 03:11 AM
I saw it on the "new books" shelf at my public library. It's a Bill Bryson, so I probably would have found my way to it eventually, but that's where I find most of the books I read these days.

parumpdragon
05-11-2011, 03:14 AM
It had an awesome looking cover, sounded like my kind of book from the synop on the back, and had an interesting ending on the last page. :)

Karen Junker
05-11-2011, 05:16 AM
I'm working my way through a stack of books--at least the first book written by people who have spoken or will speak at writing events I organize. Latest is Dhampir by Barb and J.C. Hendee.

MJNL
05-11-2011, 06:03 AM
I found The Divine Invasion by Philip K.Dick sitting on a nearly empty shelf at a Boarders blow-out sale.

Blake M. Petit
05-11-2011, 06:20 AM
I found out about Scott Sigler's Blood is Red thanks to his podcast.

DeadlyAccurate
05-11-2011, 06:45 AM
I discovered the last several books I read through Twitter connections. I find I'm buying a lot more now that I'm on Twitter regularly. It has been the biggest influence ever on my book buying.

Ditto. I'm pretty sure the last three I read were Twitter recs.

Divergent by Veronica Roth <-- a mention by @Janet_Reid
Enclave by Ann Aguirre <-- A #fridayreads recommendation last week
Burning Secrets by Clare Chambers <-- don't remember

Before that, Ghost Country by Patrick Lee, though that wasn't a Twitter rec. He's a client of my former agent, and I loved his first book.

benbradley
05-11-2011, 07:53 AM
In the past couple months I've received two new novels, one from the author (I've read about half of it so far, and that's a LOT for me for a fantasy novel), another from a publisher I haven't even started on, but what I've been reading most recently is Cory Doctorow's "Makers" (present/near-future SF) which I got as a text download free from his website. I think I saw it in a tweet (which is how I got the other two books too). I'd not read any of his stuff before, and this is long (it says 190,000 words), been reading it on my netbook screen, but I'm about 1/3rd through it, and I still can't wait to see what happens next.

Smish
05-11-2011, 08:02 AM
It won a 2010 Printz Honor award.

Kewii
05-11-2011, 12:26 PM
A friend recommended the series to me. This is just the next one in the series.

Though so far I've only managed to read about 10 pages. Every night I try to read I fall asleep. Life is exhausting ;)

Darkshore
05-15-2011, 05:12 AM
A bit ashamed to admit it but honestly...the cover art. Steven Erikson's The Crippled God. Cover art just made me think, damn this series just must be bad-ass.

megan_d
05-15-2011, 05:59 AM
Almost all of the books I read are either by authors I already enjoy, or from book blog sites. Occasionally I'll by a book "cold" at a bookstore, but that's rare.

skunkmelon
05-15-2011, 06:28 AM
I found the last book I read at the library. It's by Lili St. Crow (aka Lilith Saintcrow, writer of the Dante Valentine series) called Strange Angels.

Not bad, not bad at all.

bluntforcetrauma
05-15-2011, 09:41 AM
Honestly? Being a victim of bloated Stephen King tomes (I hollowed out Liseys Story and Under The Dome--they make nice hiding places for cash and jewelry), I now look for books that have less than 200 pages, 32 lines or fewer per page, readable sized font, subject matter that interests me and a decent cover. Its a tall order, but doable. The last one I read? Mike Mulligan and his Steam Shovel. That one never gets old.

Vito
05-19-2011, 11:52 PM
I recently finished reading Sometimes A Great Notion, Ken Kesey's second novel.This is how I discovered it: While driving to Portland last summer, I recalled that there's a famous novel about a loggers' strike in Oregon. I recalled that the book has something to do with sibling rivalry (ala Steinbeck's East of Eden) and that Paul Newman and Michael Sarrazin starred in the movie version back in the early 1970s.

It took me a while to remember the title of the book, but then it hit me: Sometimes A Great Notion by Ken Kesey. I added it to my official Books I Wanna Read list, and finally bought a paperback edition last month. I'm glad I decided to read it, because I was really blown away. Really REALLY blown away. I would recommend it to anyone who digs so-called "literary fiction" -- seriously, this book will rock your world! :cool: