How did you discover the last book you read?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdm

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I am inviting everyone who bothers to view this thread to take the time to share their answer to this question: How did you learn about the last book you decided to buy?

Was it by word of mouth, an ad you saw (if so, where was the ad placed), being picked up by you off the rack and looked at it before purchasing, actively seeking out new titles in a genre, having received it as a gift, being forced to read it at gunpoint by a crazed author? What? How was that particular book brought to your attention?

I see so many of these threads read by hundreds of people, yet only a dozen or so will comment. Take the time to let me know how you usually find the things you read. Just a couple of words telling where is all I ask.

ShapeSphere

Hello, Hooray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.antonypeyton.com
... picked up by you off the rack and looked at it before purchasing ...

That one.

I was in a book store and saw the cover of "I Am Ozzy" - the autobiography of Ozzy Osbourne. I love Black Sabbath and felt this book would be interesting and bought it immediately. I wasn't wrong. It was hilarious and honest.

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
It was on my shelf.
That's about as much as I've got. :D
It's middle grade, so it's either
A.) my little brother's
B.) mine from middle school that I never got around to reading
C.) something my mom found somewhere and randomly got for me

~Amber~

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That's two questions. The last six or so I bought were by authors I was already familiar with. The last I read I found by seeing the cover in a member's sig line. The one I'm reading right now I found in a review in the newspaper.

MM

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The book I'm reading now is book 4 of a series, so I've been looking for it.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Review on a bookblog I trust.

( http://anzlitlovers.wordpress.com/ )

Her reviews are always well-considered and her choices are generally rewarding. (No, I don't know her. I found her blog by accident a long time ago.)

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The last book I read was recommended by AW member DrummerGirl.

And the book I'm currently reading was written by AW member timp67 (his debut novel!).

:D

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Book store via recommendation by store employee...

That's how I found "Gilead" by Marilynne Robinson - most wonderful book! What on earth will we do when the bookshops all close down?

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've been reading old releases by authors who are epublishing their backlists. The newer authors have all been word of mouth or blog reviews.

Ondi

Registered
Reaction score
Website
olshepp.wordpress.com
Definitely, by word of mouth. Most books I read are recommended by someone (Yes, my mother). I do have a growing list of must reads.

These recommendations I'm compiling from blog posts via. Google Alerts. A simple tool, I feel all writers need to tap. Many posts are agent's reviews and announcements, but I've found many helpful resources sent direct to my email, and many great books.

Purple Rose

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alxblog.net
I have a stack of "Books I always wanted to or would very much like to read" on my shelf. I've been buying them for the past five years. I've read most. Right now it's John Banville's The Sea.

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished "One of Our Thursdays is Missing" by Jasper Fforde. I'd never heard of this author but the title caught me as I was leaving the library. It was on a shelf of "new releases" by the door ... I saw it, looked at the dust jacket and then checked it out.

If I'd known it was the 6th in a series, I probably would have put it back and maybe tried to find the 1st one, first. But I started reading it and was surprised and confused and amazed by the writing, alternately. Now I think I'll go read book 1. To try to make sense of it all.

authorgirl1485

Registered
Reaction score
It was a New York Times bestseller. Since that is my dream, I check the list with every issue and buy the first one, regardless of whether or not I'll actually enjoy it. (Best to keep up with the market.)

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I was just browsing in the library and it caught my eye. It was an author I had read before, although this was not their usual genre, and I thought I'd give it a go.

It was OK.

Now I have to take it back.

It was Anne Perry, The Sheen on the Silk. I know her better for her Victorian crime novels, but the font on the front of this was so pretty.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Current book I'm reading because the author is doing a reading/signing with an author I really like, and I wanted to check out her first novel before seeing the reading.

Normally I read books because I hear about them in the "What Are You Reading" threads, or they're well reviewed in the blogs I read (tor.com, whatever.com, bibliophile stalker, and a few others), or they pop up as "Books I May Be Interested In" on Amazon or Borders emails.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Given to me for Christmas by my wife. A recent history of the explorations of lost explorer Percy Fawcett in the Amazon in the 1920s, who disappeared on a Quixotic quest for a fabled "lost city" related to Atlantis.

The previous one i finished just before that, the obscure novel Mardi, by Herman Melville, had been sitting on various bookshelves in my various residences for forty-some years. A hoary Signet Classic paperback that cost 75 cents.

Methods vary.

shelleyo

Just another face in a red jumpsuit
Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading Alas, Babylon! because my daughter has to read it in her English class. I wouldn't have read it for just that reason, but she's fascinated by it and wanted me to read it, too. So technically, word of mouth/recommendation.

The book before that was a recommendation from my daughter, too. It was actually a YA book that I ended up loving, to my great surprise. Before those, at least three were recommended by my cousin, who has similar reading tastes.

I guess I'm a word-of-mouther. It certainly helps to have people who like similar things, because I'm not into the genres that are hot right now, so most lists and bestsellers currently are things that don't interest me at all.

Shelley

readitnweep

Registered
Reaction score
Last book I read that was't one I already own I found on the shelf at the library. The cover grabbed me. I'm a sucker for all things tartan, and it was a Peter Kerr. A real treat!

Tracey Taylor

Registered
Reaction score
I'm currently reading the third book of series. I discovered the series online through recommendations. I then checked out the first book in the series while at the bookstore and decided to buy it.

That's how I normally do things when it comes to finding books. I hear about titles online from people with similar tastes and then I see what it's like the next time I'm at the bookstore.

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
I am inviting everyone who bothers to view this thread to take the time to share their answer to this question: How did you learn about the last book you decided to buy?

Was it by word of mouth, an ad you saw (if so, where was the ad placed), being picked up by you off the rack and looked at it before purchasing, actively seeking out new titles in a genre, having received it as a gift, being forced to read it at gunpoint by a crazed author? What? How was that particular book brought to your attention?

I see so many of these threads read by hundreds of people, yet only a dozen or so will comment. Take the time to let me know how you usually find the things you read. Just a couple of words telling where is all I ask.

Wherever there are used books, there I am. It was either a second hand store or the Book Fair, I can't remember which. I think it was the second hand store. It's a great book too!

PulpDogg

I should be writing
Registered
Reaction score
Last book I read I think I found somewhere either here or on Kindleboards, I can't really remember. Current book I read is the 2nd of the same series ...

Then again, I am having around a dozen books lying around half read ... so "currently reading" means I am switching between a lot of books.

fireluxlou

Registered
Reaction score
I was browsing Amazon and adding books to my wishlist from recommendations.

Status
Not open for further replies.