Green Lantern, and this time lets not suck

MttStrn

Action is my reward..that and bacon
Registered
Reaction score
Second trailer is an order of magnitude better than the first and I certainly hope this movie doesn't suck.

Victoria

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I just checked it out. Yes, awesome is appropriate. Of course, I could watch Ryan Reynolds pick his nose for two hours and leave the theater feeling like it was the best eight bucks I'd ever spent. I'm easy.

schadenfreude

good with salt
Registered
Reaction score
The first trailer put me in a bad mood when I watched it, but when I watched the new one the other day, I got chills.

It is completely and totally made of win. (Though I am still really iffy about that damn mask) And it was only in this new trailer that I picked up on Mark Strong and Geoffrey Rush's amazing voices too. ;)

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
When i watched it, i went: "ooooooooh...THAT is why Green Lantern is awesome."

I never got why before, having never read the comics.

AlexPiper

Wayward Wordsmith
Registered
Reaction score
Seattle, WA -- land of rain, home of the spice caf
Website
www.fabulaurbanus.com
In Brightest Day,
In Darkest Night,
No evil shall escape my sight.
Let those who worship evil's might,
Beware my power... Green Lantern's Light!

Oh, yes. OH, yes. Mind you, Hal Jordan's never been my favorite GL -- I prefer John Stewart -- but I would be lying if I said I wasn't mouthing the words of the oath with a little shiver upon seeing that new trailer.

schadenfreude

good with salt
Registered
Reaction score
In Brightest Day,
In Darkest Night,
No evil shall escape my sight.
Let those who worship evil's might,
Beware my power... Green Lantern's Light!

Oh, yes. OH, yes. Mind you, Hal Jordan's never been my favorite GL -- I prefer John Stewart -- but I would be lying if I said I wasn't mouthing the words of the oath with a little shiver upon seeing that new trailer.

This.

I may be more pro-Stewart because of the JL Unlimited cartoons though. I was always a GL fan, but it was my brother who was the comic-reader (I'm more of a Batman kind of girl)

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I like Hal best, because I grew up with him. I'd have been okay with John. No problem. Just keep Guy Gardner out of things, please.

GL will rock. He's always been DC's most powerful hero. I think he could take Superman if it came down to it. I'm sure that ring could make some kryptonite, but quick.

Renee Collins

Plotting . . .
Registered
Reaction score
Website
midnightmeditations.blogspot.com
Yeah, that first trailer made me think, "Oh great, another self-centered, womanizing Super Hero that we're supposed to love. No thanks."

The second trailer, however, is a huge improvement. I know absolutely nothing about the Green Lantern, but it looks pretty good!

AlexPiper

Wayward Wordsmith
Registered
Reaction score
Seattle, WA -- land of rain, home of the spice caf
Website
www.fabulaurbanus.com
I may be more pro-Stewart because of the JL Unlimited cartoons though. I was always a GL fan, but it was my brother who was the comic-reader (I'm more of a Batman kind of girl)

I'd be lying if I said Phil LaMarr's portrayal of Stewart in the Timmverse cartoons wasn't a factor in his being my favorite Lantern. But I always thought he was one of the better-rounded and more believable characters to bear that mantle in the comics, too. He didn't think of himself as infallible, but neither did he agonize and angst endlessly over the mistakes he made.

Plus, unlike many of the Lantern Corps, if you took away his ring you still had John Stewart, USMC. I loved the JL time-travel episode where John, minus ring, ended up behind enemy lines in WWII... and still kicked ass. ;)

fireluxlou

Registered
Reaction score
I like this, Ryan Reynolds, how I remember you from 90s sitcoms, how things have changed.

entropic island

Registered
Reaction score
First trailer really annoyed me. It was like everything I didn't like about Iron Man, KickAss and The Green Hornet all meshed into one video of absolute blandness.

The second one: I MUST SEE THIS MOVIE.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
don't believe the hype

So just because they finally came up with a trailer that doesn't feature Green Lantern's fluorescent green unitard or Ryan Reynolds cracking jokes like he's in a slob comedy does that mean all that crap hit the floor of the editing room and it's no longer one big ball of Suck?

It's a better trailer, but I still have the nagging feeling I've seen the best Green Lantern has to offer.

And Hector Hammond as the bad guy? Seriously? :e2moon:

Last edited:

ceenindee

Registered
Reaction score
I was really happy to see that new trailer. The first one looked like a rip-off of Iron Man.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
So just because they finally came up with a trailer that doesn't feature Green Lantern's fluorescent green unitard or Ryan Reynolds cracking jokes like he's a slob comedy does that mean all that crap hit the floor of the editing room and it's no longer one big ball of Suck?

Hopefully! They released this new trailer because people saw the first one and were all like

D:<

Hopefully they get the hint and make some minor changes. I mean, most of A New Hope got dumped on the cutting room floor, much for the film's improvement.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A good trailer can cover up a multitude of sins. Let's hope that is not the case this time.

Strychnine

Registered
Reaction score
Oh wow! That trailer is actually kind of great. I'm dubious about Blake Lively's presence but...you know.
Peter Sarsgaard however :heart:

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Mmmmmmme not convinced. This trailer basically just showcased the film's CG awesomeness. Didn't even touch on plot or character. I'm not a GL fan to begin with, so this movie will have to be PURE AWESOME to win me over.

I will say, however, that they actually managed to make the host of GL aliens NOT look totally, utterly absurd. Which is what they look like in every other incarnation.

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
Hmm, but why does everything apart from Ryan Reynold's unquenchably punchable face hail from the Uncanny Valley? And when his CGI mask is on it even makes that look weird and fakey. (Shuffles off, muttering darkly.)