question about injuries

doomwdfortune

Registered
Reaction score
i was thinking of having my character get winged in the side by a 9mm bullet and was wondering how long it would take at the minimum for her to go back to her job as a detective.
the bullet is fired from in front of her and wings her the momentum of the bullet broke one of her ribs no injuries to the organs just muscle damage and the broke rib.
she is 28 ex soldier who still works out like a solider she smokes and has nerve damage on her back from an ied the make it so she has less felling their.
also would it be possible for her to use a gun withe the side she was hit on with in a day or two of the initial injury or would she have to use her other arm would she even be able to move at all

thank you for all your help

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
It really depends on how the rib was broken. If the bullet went right through the rib she's probably looking at a few months of desk work after some time in surgery. If the rib is just cracked it could be taped up and she could be back within a few days. She won't be able to run or exert herself without feeling a lot of pain, but she could easily fire her weapon.

As long as she can raise her arm she can fire a moderate powered pistol without much difficulty and probably not much (if any) pain.

GregS

Registered
Reaction score
What DJ said is dead on. Broken ribs don't even have to pull you out of the fight if you can grin and bear it. Assuming it's treated right, the rib will hurt her for weeks if she rests and months if she stays active and aggravates it.

Also, don't discount the considerable discomfort of the flesh and muscle knitting back together. Stitches in your side are very easy to tear and lots of movement will make the actual wound heal much slower.

Not that it should stop her. Just that it should be an annoyance for a good, long while.

Hallen

Mostly annoying
Registered
Reaction score
Like all things, it's relative to the injury. A cracked or broken rib in the right place will be debilitating in some ways, but not so bad in others. Trying to lift things in certain ways or move in certain ways will put you on your knees -- no amount of toughness will stop it. Other things will just give you a twinge. Sleeping is annoying, but not impossible.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
i was thinking of having my character get winged in the side by a 9mm bullet

Um, this nitpick may be the least of problems posed, but the colloquialism "winged" means getting shot in the arm.

As someone mentioned, getting "one bounced off her rib" may be a better.

tiny

riding the sun
Registered
Reaction score
Southern California between the Desert and the Mou
Website
www.facebook.com
Just a note as my hubs was a medic... they no longer tape up broken ribs as it causes the patient to take shallow breaths. This causes other issues such as pneumonia.

Also, I had two cracked ribs and still continued my job as a self-defense instructor. I have a high tolerance for pain which is good because it hurt like hell.