Another contest question

Status
Not open for further replies.

the debster

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.publishersmarketplace.com
I have written a short story suitable for INKWELL and AMERICAN LITERARY REVIEW contests.

Should I submit to both?

Or, is it advisable not to enter contests, rather go ahead and submit to tiered literary magazines?

I am building a collection suitable for publication and also hope to garner an agent's attention.

Thanks for any advice,
DJL

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
I think entering contests is a perfectly legitimate method to showcase and draw attention to your work. However, you'll need to look closely at the RULES for each of the contests you plan to enter. Since they are sponsored by publications, what often happens is that the top three places are published in the magazine/journal as part of the prize. In this case, they would expect to have First North American (or First World, etc.) rights to the story. If you enter more than one contest, and they both expect this right -- you'll be shooting yourself in the foot.

That said, contests can indeed find an agent, because often agent/editors are final round judges.

Good luck!

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
the debster said:
I have written a short story suitable for INKWELL and AMERICAN LITERARY REVIEW contests.

Should I submit to both?

Or, is it advisable not to enter contests, rather go ahead and submit to tiered literary magazines?

I am building a collection suitable for publication and also hope to garner an agent's attention.

Thanks for any advice,
DJL

Good contests can be great for a writer, and can lead to some great places. But darned few contests out there are any good at all, and won;t get you anywhere, even if you win them. So enter contests, but be very slective, know who the judges are, etc.

But it's much better, in my opinion, to submit to magazines. They buy from new writers all the time, they pay you, and an actual sale goes much further with editors and agents than all but a tiny few contests.

the debster

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.publishersmarketplace.com
Thank you Cathy and James.

Cathy, you're right about the winning entries appearing in print. I only enter those that do as I figure it's worth my while to receive as much exposure as possible. One of the winners I referred to will be printed in the Arizona Literary Magazine next month, so it's essentially off the market, but the other only printed the 1st and 2nd winners, so I feel it's available.

I've decided not to submit to both of the contests I've mentioned, rather go with the AMERICAN LITERARY REVIEW one as the judge is more suited to the subject matter I address.

James, thanks also for your input on this matter. I have decided not to submit the piece I'm currently working on to any contests--rather send it to 2 markets I feel are perfect for it. Thanks for helping me with that decision.

DJL

Status
Not open for further replies.