Famous authors and their typewriters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam

Not dead.
Registered
Reaction score
Ooh, cool! :)

Some of them must have had crap backs from typing in such silly positions.

What?

I'm concerned about posture!

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I loved old snaps anyway. So when I came across that link, I was thrilled.

muravyets

Old revolutionary
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Yay! This is fabulous. I have an absolute passion for typewriters. Also, Tennessee Williams' workspace looks like mine, including coffee cup. *takes a sip* Thanks for that link.

ETA: I noticed in comments that some readers were disappointed that their favorite writers were missing. I'm guessing it's because really good photos of them at work are hard to come by. These were the best I could find for what seemed to be the most wished for:

Hunter S. Thompson typing at Big Sur.

Jack Kerouac seen typing, I think, in a mirror, I think.

Last edited:

jaksen

Caped Codder
Registered
Reaction score
In MA, USA, across from a 17th century cemetery
Here's the thing, they're all famous and well-known. Most of us are not (yet). But...

Don't you just know what they're feeling, from their facial expressions? Typing away fast: omg, this is good, gotta get it down!

Musing off into space: So how do I write this? Where do I go from here? Or, need a minute to think about this...

And some seem so intent in their work, it's like the world around them doesn't exist.

Okay, I am imagining what was in their heads at that moment, but those expressions and postures seem so intimate, so real, and so familiar.

Thanks for the link!

fireluxlou

Registered
Reaction score
wish I still had my typewriter sometimes... but then realise that I don't have to worry about ink or mistakes anymore!

I love the Marlon Brando one.

PorterStarrByrd

nutruring tomorrows criminals today
Registered
Reaction score
What !?! no Mark Twain, one of the first to use the typewriter for book writing ? (wonder if there is a picture of that .. guess I'll have to try google images)

I can remember the days of carbon paper and rubber erasers with no back space or even whiteout. I wasn't a writer then It must have been maddening .. except nobody knew any better.

Ludicrum

Registered
Reaction score
Interesting. There is a certain romanticism in watching an author working on a typewriter. Heck, I even bought my own typewriter when I was swept up in the notion of sitting before the machine, brow furrowed in concentration, as magic rushed through my fingers and onto the page.

Haha. Of course, romanticism gave way to practicality. My typewriter is in my closet now. I might brush off the dust long enough to write a short story or something, but it's not likely that I'll ever write a novel with the thing.

Still, when I feel like having the "old timey" feel while writing, I use a program to make my keyboard sound like a typewriter.

PorterStarrByrd

nutruring tomorrows criminals today
Registered
Reaction score
Still, when I feel like having the "old timey" feel while writing, I use a program to make my keyboard sound like a typewriter.

Way to go Ludicrum ..
That used to drive my ex-wife nuts ... no longer a problem.

Lil

Registered
Reaction score
Not just typewriters, but cigarettes!

Ah, those were the days.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Not just typewriters, but cigarettes!

Ah, those were the days.

Those are still the days. I still use a manual typewriter, and I still smoke non-filter cigarettes.

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
What great pictures!

Yeah, I miss my little pink typewriter my mother bought me the Christmas when I was about ten years old. I wanted one pretty bad to type my poems on. It even worked, and I still have poems typed on the kiddie typewriter.

My grandparents had an old Underwood that all five of their daughters used in high school--my mother graduated in 1959, and her youngest sister in 1977. That thing lasted forever, until my grandparents donated it to the historical society, along with many other antique pieces. Actually, I guess it's still lasting. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.